Ministerial cars have cost €11m in last 2yrs

ellie08

Cheap, populist, penny-pinching nonsense that would likely cost more to implement than the current system. If this is the level Coveney's brain operates at we should be glad he's not in with a shot at a ministry.
I disagree. The drivers are being paid an annual salary of around 75K. Why they need a guard to drive them around is beyond me. They do not deserve to be driven around for the rest of their days, or get multiple pensions before (or after for that matter) they are 65. Bertie Ahearne in particular does not deserve this kind of luxury after what he's done.

j26

Well done. It is nice to know FG are focusing on the big ticket items.
The situation is so grave that we have to penny pinch EVERYWHERE. 5m here, 10m there - if we look at everything to see how we can save a few bob, or squeeze out a few more bob, the cumulative effect will be substantial. This might be a small amount, but it would be progress, and politically very astute.

There is no silver bullet folks - shutting down the public srctor in its entirety would only knock about half off the deficit (but at what cost? - no schools, hospitals, passports or even anyone to collect tax revenue). Ending all SW payments would clear the budget, but at the expense of a famine among those dependant on SW payments.

A mix of targetted cost cutting and revenue raising is the only way to dig ourselves out. This measure would be one small shovelful of progress

loner

Fine Gael has announced it will scrap the tradition of ministers, former taoisigh and former presidents having automatic use of state cars:

It will introduce

• car pooling where state cars are available at short notice when needed
  • encourage ministers and ministers of state to take public transport or make use of their own personal car, with the option of recouping mileage.
  • Ensure garda drivers are only provided to An Taoiseach, the Minister for Justice and in other circumstances where a requirement is determined;
  • Slash the current €11m spent on ministerial transport every two years.
http://www.finegael.ie/news/a/4135/article/
And about time too----The Dail generally sits from 2.30 Tuesday to 5pm Thursday--public transport should be capable of having Deputies in Leinster House on Tuesdays and getting them home on Thursdays. They should be paid the public transport rate from their homes and it would be up to themselves then to use their cars or public transport.

loner

I disagree. The drivers are being paid an annual salary of around 75K. Why they need a guard to drive them around is beyond me. They do not deserve to be driven around for the rest of their days, or get multiple pensions before (or after for that matter) they are 65. Bertie Ahearne in particular does not deserve this kind of luxury after what he's done.
Wonder do Prime Ministers in other countries get cars for the rest of their lives---would also wonder how many of them have to squat in cupboards to eke out a living after leaving office.

Watcher2

Window dressing. It's a drop in the ocean. This is populist politicking, and while it's correct that it's not a good state of affairs, I want to live in a country where being a top level public servant is an excellently rewarded job that people should aspire to, not some glorified administrative function where payscales are benchmarked.

But we shouldn't have a position where we have 27 ministers. That's nuts. Maybe ten. Coveney's suggestion of just taoiseach and MOJ is nuts. The Minister for Foreign Affairs arrives to greet a visiting foreign dignitary driving up in a 2008 Ford Mondeo? Give me a break. I want my personal tax euros to pay for that minister's driver. Ministers on public transport? Stupid.

There is a problem with a "sense of entitlement" in certain circles, and probably in some areas of public life. But guess what? Ministers are titled!!! Which means that they are en-titled...and that, in my experience, leads to a sense of entitlement. Which is OK.

But 27 is too many.
Stop sensationalising. He advocated a car pool. Obviously Ministers in need would receive a car from the pool. Anyway, surely he would be greeting VISITING dignatories at Gov Buildings and therefore, even if he drove a Mondeo, this would be securely parked in the car park and the visitor would not see the car he drives.

Oh, and the poor fella, only a Ford Mondeo???? Thats just awful I tells ya, awful.

Watcher2

Wonder do Prime Ministers in other countries get cars for the rest of their lives---would also wonder how many of them have to squat in cupboards to eke out a living after leaving office.
I wonder whether PM's in other countries are sitting on the pile of crap our fellas are too. And did they create those pilkes of crap themselves.

Just wondering.

I think dat fella should be leftn in the cupboard. Buy a latch and secure it to the outside. The food within should keep his hunger at bay for say a week. So the latch should not be removed for about 90 days, just to be sure.

ellie08

Old Bertie Huboard is a skank, what more can one say. By giving that low life a merc and a driver, he may be under the false impression that he is someone important. He introduced so many perks for TD's and in particular Ministers that anything he put through should be taken off the lot of them immediately. They failed and failed miserably.

Expose the lot of them

And about time too----The Dail generally sits from 2.30 Tuesday to 5pm Thursday--public transport should be capable of having Deputies in Leinster House on Tuesdays and getting them home on Thursdays. They should be paid the public transport rate from their homes and it would be up to themselves then to use their cars or public transport.
Why pay them? Who else is paid to turn up for work and then paid for transport to get there? It is time they learned to start paying for the things that the rest of us have to pay for.

ellie08

Why pay them? Who else is paid to turn up for work and then paid for transport to get there? It is time they learned to start paying for the things that the rest of us have to pay for.
+1. The perks that go with being a TD seem to attract an awful low calibre of individual (not all, but many), Jackie Healy Rae, Bertie Ahearne et al.
They should be honoured to be working in the Dail, not paid to turn up (or in some cases, profiting from it).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wZX_Jfvm_Y"]YouTube - Dail Eireann Fight[/ame]

Mushroom

+1.

The perks that go with being a TD seem to attract an awful low calibre of individual (not all, but many), Jackie Healy Rae, Bertie Ahern et al.
They should be honoured to be working in the Dail, not paid to turn up (or in some cases, profiting from it).

YouTube - Dail Eireann Fight

Ah the memories! Thanks for posting that Ellie - it's great to see yet another of Bertie's donkeys, appointed to a post far beyond his capabilities, publicly making a complete buffoon of himself.

It begs the question - did Bertie ever make an intelligent appointment?

Expose the lot of them

Ah the memories! Thanks for posting that Ellie - it's great to see yet another of Bertie's donkeys, appointed to a post far beyond his capabilities, publicly making a complete buffoon of himself.

It begs the question - did Bertie ever make an intelligent appointment?
Really makes you cringe and the fkkr has such an inflated opinion of himself, "entitled" to outrageous expenses to keep himself and herself in manner to which they had become accustomer to at tax payer expense.

I was in the public gallery when he made his 35 minute, self serving, I have been ill treated and hard done by speech, quite a performance.

ellie08

Really makes you cringe and the fkkr has such an inflated opinion of himself, "entitled" to outrageous expenses to keep himself and herself in manner to which they had become accustomer to at tax payer expense.

I was in the public gallery when he made his 35 minute, self serving, I have been ill treated and hard done by speech, quite a performance.
Ah yes, Mr. Gadfly's resignation speech. One of the rare times you'll see a FF minister talking without having to look at a sheet of paper, but of course he spoke from the heart that day about something he really cared about - Himself!

Rocky

Fine Gael proposes abolishing Ministerial cars and bringing in car pooling

From the Irish Times

THE PROVISION of Garda drivers and State cars to Cabinet Ministers, former taoisigh, the President, Chief Whip, Ceann Comhairle and others has cost almost €11 million in the past two years, it has emerged.

This represents expenditure of €105,000 per week, or €15,000 per day. Fine Gael has vowed to end the practice of supplying the cars and Garda drivers, saying if it were in government a car pooling system would be introduced.

The party’s transport spokesman, Simon Coveney TD, said a Fine Gael government would also introduce a system where cars would be driven by civilians, with Garda drivers used only for the taoiseach and minister for justice. Those entitled to drivers and cars would also be encouraged to drive themselves in their own cars and claim mileage for their journeys.

Fine Gael said it would cut by half the cost of providing cars and drivers.
Also two press statements from Coveney on the issue:

http://www.finegael.ie/news/a/4135/article/

The bill for Ministerial cars for the last two years has been revealed by Fine Gael Transport Spokesman Simon Coveney TD as €10.9 million, who described it as unjustified and unsustainable in the current economic crisis.

"I find it incredible that this amount of money is being spent by government at a time when our country is on the floor. In the last two years, the Government has spent nearly €11 million on State cars and taken 54 Gardaí off the streets to drive Ministers around. This sense of entitlement has to end. It is now time to reform the current arrangement which is far too expensive and goes way beyond what is actually required.
And

http://www.finegael.ie/news/a/4145/article/

Fianna Fáil and the Greens should back Fine Gael’s plans to abolish Ministerial cars and bring in car pooling as part of wider reforms being prepared by Fine Gael, Transport Spokesman Simon Coveney TD has said.

Deputy Coveney said there should be a broader consensus to reform Government, including the specific proposal to end the culture of ‘Mercs and perks’.

“Fine Gael is developing radical new plans to reform the public sector. These reforms are designed to deliver greater efficiencies and value for money across the public sector.

“My proposals to replace the ‘Mercs and perks’ system for Ministers is just one element of these proposals. And I hope that the Government Parties will adopt the Fine Gael approach to dramatically reduce the cost of Ministerial transport with this sensible and modern plan.
This obviously won't solve all of Ireland's problems, but every little bit helps and I think it is symbolically important. There is also of course as Coveney says no need for every Minister to be driven around by a Garda.

Expatriot

Great idea.
More like this please.
Now bloody do it when elected.

It is amazing the greens have not demanded this already.

Hewson

Opposition politicians will promise free turkeys for everyone at Christmas. They'll even come to your home and cook it, after they've made the stuffing.

I've come to the grain of salt stage in my deepening cynicism about politics.

But maybe, maybe. Who knows . . .

Watcher2

Just think back to P Flynn on the Late Late - Do you have any idea how expensive it is to run 3 households? At least one of those households is now earning himself a nice bit of money from the trees he planted.

Watcher2

Opposition politicians will promise free turkeys for everyone at Christmas. They'll even come to your home and cook it, after they've made the stuffing.

I've come to the grain of salt stage in my deepening cynicism about politics.

But maybe, maybe. Who knows . . .
I completely agree. The opposition are only now coming around to the idea of getting at the perks in a meaningful way. When the crisis hit, you didn't hear them coming out about the expenses/perks until it was too late. When the pensions thing hit, it was long after people were sick of drip feed stuff through the media. Kenny and Gilmore should have come out at the very start with all the perks the politicians, including themselves get and announce that they themselves were giving them up. But oh no, that would hurt the poor little darlings in their own pockets to much. Better to hang on till the bitter end.

Even the reformed expenses regime. You get unvouched travel expenses if you live anymore than 3km (correct me if I am wrong on the minimum distance) from the Dail. Jaysus wept. Why haven't FG come out against this kind of thing? I think we all know the answer. Politicians, they are all the same. Really, they are.

EoinMn

Website
eoinmadden.ie
encourage ministers and ministers of state to take public transport or make use of their own personal car
Like ************************ they will.
The Greens have been ridiculed for using public transport and their own personal bicycles. So the idea that Fine Gael would suddenly embrace the idea is nonsense.

Baron von Biffo

How did you come up with the idea that Coveney's idea would cost more to implement?
Presumably even Coveney isn't so parsimonious that he would take the cars off the 5 former Taoisigh. It's a small gesture of respect for the office if not some of the holders. Likewise with the president and the Ceann Comhairle.

Given the wide geographic spread of ministers, the nature and hours of their work and the lack of public transport it's idiotic to suggest that they could pool 2 ministers to a car. That would mean having say 7 state cars and 7 private cars on 24 hour standby. The private cars would have extra tax, insurance, tendering, and staff costs as well as the profit the operator would need. It's not difficult to see how the costs could mount to more than we're currently paying.

BTW, does anyone know who has the other 5 cars? Cathaoirleach of the seanad? The AG?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom