Ministerial cars have cost €11m in last 2yrs

Baron von Biffo

I disagree. The drivers are being paid an annual salary of around 75K. Why they need a guard to drive them around is beyond me.
There's a good case to be made for dropping the garda drivers for most ministers but on the basis that garda time could be spent more usefully rather than on cost as the savings would be trivial.

hammer

Maybe they should add in the Green Bikes and the Government Jet.

Has Mary Harney flown to Carrick on Shannon on the jet recently to open any off licences :) :)

laidback

Even the reformed expenses regime. You get unvouched travel expenses if you live anymore than 3km (correct me if I am wrong on the minimum distance) from the Dail. Jaysus wept. Why haven't FG come out against this kind of thing? I think we all know the answer. Politicians, they are all the same. Really, they are.
Even if you live in the next road to the Dail you get 12,000 pa unvouched for travel/turning up money. This is the minimum you get - goes up to over 38,000 pa for those in Kerry, Donegal etc. There is no minimum distance. They make the rules.

Expatriot

Opposition politicians will promise free turkeys for everyone at Christmas. They'll even come to your home and cook it, after they've made the stuffing.

I've come to the grain of salt stage in my deepening cynicism about politics.

But maybe, maybe. Who knows . . .
Bertie was no in opposition when he spun me the last yarn to get a vote out of me. I wont be voting FG, but I would not be surprised if Kenny is good for his word. He may be flawed but I suspect he is honest and had integrity.

Barnacle

Even if you live in the next road to the Dail you get 12,000 pa unvouched for travel/turning up money. This is the minimum you get - goes up to over 38,000 pa for those in Kerry, Donegal etc. There is no minimum distance. They make the rules.
Imagine, your employer paying you to turn up before you even earn your wage. Only in Ireland!! How much would we have to pay them to speak, as Bertie has not spoken in yonks.

ellie08

No worries, lads, they'll be able to make the €11m back by firing 200 college lecturers.

TUI, Teacher Salary Scales, Deparment of Education and Science

Those long-haired corduroy-wearing fops are obviously overpaid and superfluous.
Compared to the intellectual greatness of ahearn, Lenihan and Cowen that is. Combined with their level of honour, virtuousness and intelligence, we don't need new schools, and even if a few need to be closed though this is "not anticipated", ahem by Lenihan we will be saved.

an innocent abroad

Schools! where did they all go to school? I really would love to know, was ethics ever part of their education? did their parents teach them right from wrong? Integrity? was that for idiots? ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU, BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY! and we call all see from the mess, that the latter was the lesson. Rape and pillage, they have done in 90 years what the british could not or would not do in 600 years.

ellie08

Schools! where did they all go to school? I really would love to know, was ethics ever part of their education? did their parents teach them right from wrong? Integrity? was that for idiots? ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU, BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY! and we call all see from the mess, that the latter was the lesson. Rape and pillage, they have done in 90 years what the british could not or would not do in 600 years.
Catholicism and Irish were the most important subjects when that lot went to school and guess what they still are! Instead of heeding the christian message, some of them prefer to look after the clerical orders (just look at the proposed site for the children's hospital - who do you think will be in control) and pay for the upkeep of chapels in the Vatican. Indulgences are still viewed as a way of avoiding morality to these guys. They obviously missed the lesson in school where it said indulgences were a shameful scam by a corrupt pope who loved money more than God, but then, I suppose those guys relate to that sentiment. They think they can buy their way out of any situation and damn anyone who suffers for their actions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies