• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ministers could be forced to answer questions, if there was a real Speaker.

leftsoc

If the Ceann Comhairle needed 75% of the House to be elected, that would ensure that he/she was always a person of integrity.

The Ceann Comhairle should also be entitled to rule on whether the Minister had answered the question (forgive my memory - has that already been brought in here or was it just mooted?) .

I think that simple measure would transform politics and make a lot of useless spinners redundant.

Sync

If the Ceann Comhairle needed 75% of the House to be elected, that would ensure that he/she was always a person of integrity.
No it wouldn't.

kvran

You're more likely to get a weak compromise candidate that offends no one. Look at the Council of the EU, it operates on a culture of unanimity so almost all appointments are compromise candidates, not the best candidates.

But I agree with the aims of your proposal.