• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ministers spend thousands on private PR

sheehan

Can some "insiders" tell us what these private PR staff are actually doing? Are they working for the "boss" so that the "boss can be re-elected next time at the expenses of the tax payers or they are doing some essential/integral work for the ministry?

Ministers spend thousands on private PR - The Irish Times - Sat, Jan 12, 2013
Minister for the Arts Jimmy Deenihan, who spent €41,000 hiring two staff for secretarial services, defended the practice. “It’s an allowance I use to provide jobs . . . If we take it away, they’d lose their jobs,” he said. “Many look at this cynically as parish pump politics, but I pride myself on providing a good constituency service.”

Barroso

I see that this money comes from the Oireachtas budget.
Is it on top of the public money spent by the oireachtas to put "good news" stories in local newspapers to tell us how hard our TDs are working for us?

Sister Mercedes

Minister for the Arts Jimmy Deenihan, who spent €41,000 hiring two staff for secretarial services, defended the practice. “It’s an allowance I use to provide jobs . . . If we take it away, they’d lose their jobs,” he said. “Many look at this cynically as parish pump politics, but I pride myself on providing a good constituency service.”
No Kerry or Tipperary person should be let within 100 miles of a Cabinet Position.

commonman

They must think that there going to win the next election, we will not fall for there lies the next time.

Heligoland

Minister for the Arts Jimmy Deenihan, who spent €41,000 hiring two staff for secretarial services, defended the practice. “It’s an allowance I use to provide jobs . . . If we take it away, they’d lose their jobs,” he said.

They are cutting jobs all over the public sector.

controller

You really couldn't make up stuff like that,

Analyzer

No amount of PR spending could solve the credibility deficits of Dicey Reilly, Big Fill, Dwarf, Shattered, Hayes....

teapot

I'm so happy to see that 'Minister for the Arts' Jimmy Deenihan is busy 'providing good constituency service' rather than involving himself in 'parish pump politics...'

It is also commendable that he is providing jobs (in his constituency) - anyone know who got those jobs and what qualifications they have - education, ability, family, party track record, etc., etc

Dear, oh effing dear... Does nothing ever change in this sorry island?

Analyzer

KEYHOLE KATE

"The world is not enough" for James Bond and PR isn't nearly enough for politicians who are employing media lawyer, Paul Tweed (who practises in the UK as well as in Ireland) who can't stand the heat but want to stay in the political kitchen for long enough to get a huge golden handshake from a grateful electorate. Poiticians are ready to take defamation cases against bloggers and tweeters with the inestimable assistance of Mr. Tweed but it won't get really exciting until we see PR guru, Max Clifford, on the scene. The problem could be that the comments might be judged to have been "in the public interest" although not in the politician/s interests. We would need another tribunal for that so that needy lawyers could squeese a few more drops of milk from "The angry sow which eats its farrow". The glibness of PR, the enhancement by the stylists and all the rest of the folderol would be funny if it wasn't at enormous cost to the public. Whatever the Tea Party movement in the US was really about it was out in the open with its disdain for politicians and, at it's town hal meetings, informed those supposed to represent them that "We pay you", a stark fact quite often forgotten in this small republic.
Marie Antoinette and Louis XV1 are long gone after meeting the axeman. There's no need for any of that gory business but Mr. Tweed might have to remind his potential political clients that the freedom of speech which they enjoy in the Dail to be "vicious detractors" of each other might have to be looked at too.

artfoley56

that sentence alone woukd explain why deenihan needs a PR

teapot

Hey Keyhole Kate -

I dunno 'bout your Mister Tweed (wasn't it Tweeds that ran the pie factory in 'Chicken Run?, any relative?) but I do know that Mister (PR Guru) Clifford is already 'on the scene' since I saw him on TV recently declaiming that underage girls (and girls of doubtful adulthood if not of adultery) were 'all the thing' in the '70's for sex by whoever, and that the Police enquiry was a lot of bosh...

He was again 'on the scene' when the Police searched his house and 'spoke' with him. He may be a bit busy to bother with two-bit politicos in Ireland, even if they do have funds, unless of course he is planning to move here.

We could use some Gurus (is that right or is it Gureaux or Gurii?) and maybe G.Depardieu as well.

Watcher2

Can some "insiders" tell us what these private PR staff are actually doing? Are they working for the "boss" so that the "boss can be re-elected next time at the expenses of the tax payers or they are doing some essential/integral work for the ministry?

Ministers spend thousands on private PR - The Irish Times - Sat, Jan 12, 2013
So, if jimmy had his way, he would hire all the 400,000+ unemployed into the civil service and all our problems would be solved.

MrMee

What a waste of money since the PR companies here just plain suck. Even the big PR firms here who tout themselves as state of the art and having fancy clients etc are nothing more than clueless suits. Have had some exposure to them and they are all pitiful.

Of course, if they are pitiful, clueless and can't do the work they are exorbitantly being paid to do, that would explain why Irish politicians are using them.

MrMee

I'm so happy to see that 'Minister for the Arts' Jimmy Deenihan is busy 'providing good constituency service' rather than involving himself in 'parish pump politics...'

It is also commendable that he is providing jobs (in his constituency) - anyone know who got those jobs and what qualifications they have - education, ability, family, party track record, etc., etc

Dear, oh effing dear... Does nothing ever change in this sorry island?

If his PR people were any good at all, they would have had him respond with something better than THAT!!!