'Minority Faiths' to be exempt from government's Baptism Barrier - how retarded is this?

flavirostris

I just scanned the front page of today's indo, which contains a main piece about the Government's proposed 'Baptism Barrier' legislation.

This would see an end to RCC 'discrimination' ( the word used by the journo ) in Primary schools.

But the bit that caught my eye is that there is a specific clause which will make 'Minority Faiths' i.e Islam totally exempt from this legislation.

That means that while Catholics will no longer be allowed to determine school admission based on religion, muslim schools are entirely free to discriminate and have muslim-only primary schools.

This is so stupid & retarded and another reason I won't be voting FG at the next election

The link is from the IT not the indo but the topic is covered.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/removal-of-baptism-barrier-may-prompt-legal-action-1.3487110

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

The effete govt is afraid to offend Moslems.

Anyway such legislation will fall foul of the constitution .

Buchaill Dana

Snowflake alert.

There will still be Catholic schools. Just less of them.

And you missed the whole public and private bit. There are no Muslim state primary schools.

johnnypockets

I just scanned the front page of today's indo, which contains a main piece about the Government's proposed 'Baptism Barrier' legislation.

This would see an end to RCC 'discrimination' ( the word used by the journo ) in Primary schools.

But the bit that caught my eye is that there is a specific clause which will make 'Minority Faiths' i.e Islam totally exempt from this legislation.

That means that while Catholics will no longer be allowed to determine school admission based on religion, muslim schools are entirely free to discriminate and have muslim-only primary schools.

This is so stupid & retarded and another reason I won't be voting FG at the next election

The link is from the IT not the indo but the topic is covered.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/removal-of-baptism-barrier-may-prompt-legal-action-1.3487110
Suck it up snowflake :lol:

flavirostris

Suck it up snowflake :lol:
It's total bollocks and such an obvious cowardly sop to the Ali Selims etc.

Discrimination against Catholics seems to be fine but don't dare go near Islam.

Utterly cowardly bollocks and shame on Richard Bruton who I used to have huge respect for.

Krusty Cork

Bruton was on Newstalk this morning defending that part

Catholics will be sorted in the 18/20 school

Will protect minority ethoses

Buchaill Dana

Utterly cowardly bollocks and shame on Richard Bruton who I used to have huge respect for.
Yeah, that's it.

Can you name a couple of the Muslim schools in question?

Dame_Enda

You can argue that its different when a religion is over-represented relative to other religions in our education system per head of populaion. Personally I think all state funded education should be integrated.

Dadaist

Which state Muslim schools, specifically, do you believe will be affected by this legalisation?

former wesleyan

This was included because of my lobbying on behalf of Methodists.

flavirostris

Schools set up as Muslim schools to serve a community. Not schools set up as state schools and outsourced to a religion.
The link mentions the two schools as being state funded, but they would be entirely exempt from Bruton's proposed legislation and could continue to operate on a muslim-only basis but the RCC school down the road has to admit everyone regardless of creed.

The Field Marshal

The link mentions the two schools as being state funded, but they would be entirely exempt from Bruton's proposed legislation and could continue to operate on a muslim-only basis but the RCC school down the road has to admit everyone regardless of creed.
The Muslim schools in Ireland are state funded and the children in them are taught that non Moslems are inferior and on the same level as dogs.

Buchaill Dana

Sigh.

You mean the state school down the road.

There are 3,300 primary schools. Two have a Muslim ethos. Two.

Calm down.

Dadaist

Sigh.

You mean the state school down the road.

There are 3,300 primary schools. Two have a Muslim ethos. Two.

Calm down.
Ah, ye beat me to it.

There are 509,652 children enrolled in 3,305 primary schools in Ireland.

The two Muslim schools probably have no more than a couple of hundred kids in them combined.

razorblade

If its to be done it must be all across the board without exceptions be it Catholic, Islam, Hindu its hardly fair expecting one to accept all faiths while not others.

New Threads

Most Replies