Miss Nigeria and Me - what do you think?

Catalpast

Not me obviously

But I have just watched a very interesting documentary on RTE Player about a young Nigerian-Irish man -Kamil Ibrahim - who after an absence of 20 years returned to the land of his birth - Nigeria - against his fathers advice

- and what he found there....

He is also involved in the Miss Nigeria Ireland completion featuring girls who have grown up in Ireland and have multi identities

- but have divided cultures

See what you think

- I was fascinated

Miss Nigeria Ireland and Me: Reality Bites - Season 1, Episode 1 Wednesday 14 December 2016 - RTÉ Player

ger12

Why were you fascinated?

effer

Not me obviously

But I have just watched a very interesting documentary on RTE Player about a young Nigerian-Irish man -Kamil Ibrahim - who after an absence of 20 years returned to the land of his birth - Nigeria - against his fathers advice

He is also involved in the Miss Nigeria Ireland completion featuring girls who have grown up in Ireland and have multi identities

See what you think

- I was fascinated

Miss Nigeria Ireland and Me: Reality Bites - Season 1, Episode 1 Wednesday 14 December 2016 - RTÉ Player
What do you think?

che schifo

How can somebody possibly be both nigerian and irish as you have just stated.
Well, if an Irish man fell in love with a Nigerian woman, got married, (of course), did the nasty, and produced a baby, then that baby would be an Irish citizen and a Nigerian one. You can reverse the sexes, if that makes you more comfortable..

che schifo

How exactly does that make him irish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamal_Ibrahim_(presenter)

Kamal was born in Limerick, Ireland to a Nigerian father and an Irish-Italian mother; through his mother, Kamal is a first cousin of U.S. actor Danny DeVito. He finished primary school at J.F.K Memorial and went on to complete his leaving certificate at the Ardscoil Ris all-boys Catholic secondary school.
He was born in Ireland to a parent (mother) who was herself a citizen or Ireland.

Pabilito

Not me obviously

See what you think

- I was fascinated

I also watched it and was equally fascinated, a very human touching story well presented.. Kamil seems to feel intrinsically Irish but having an Nigerian father and having spent his early years in Nigeria naturally has a mixed identity and a desire to explore that which is very natural and understandable..

What I found particularly fascinating was his (and particularly his father’s) uneasiness about Kamil’s personal safety travelling to Nigeria.. testament to the personal safety that we all take for granted here in Ireland..

The “Miss Nigeria Ireland” reminded me of Fr Ted’s "Lovely Girls" competition only the lovely girls were slightly darker and a bit more curvier… but very lovely all the same!

Kommunist

I think ones heritage is a little more complicated than where you were born. What culture do you feel an affinity to? Which do you feel you relate to most? What language do you speak? What kind of culture does your family uphold?

My family is broken and I do not really spend much time with my family because I'm either out working or engaged in political activity, but I affiliate to a sense of identity as a Slavic person. Not Russian or anything in particular, just Slavic. I speak Russian, I don't religiously celebrate Christmas as in the Catholic tradition, I'm atheist but baptized Russian Orthodox and my general perception of life is definitely different to what it is in Ireland.

I think a sense of identity culturally is something one can determine if they are capable of being introspective.

So why is that relevant to the OP? Largely because it's largely the same. Born and raised in Limerick but having a cultural leaning towards where you are actually from, that would shape anybody. I don't see why he can't be both and take what he likes from his upbringing. Irish Nigerian, or Nigerian Irish, it does not hugely matter. Integration is good.

Nah Nigerians and Irish don't get together.....................

Next you will start talking about Paul McGrath................

Felixness

It sounds like we have far too many Nigerians and that they should go back to Nigeria. There are many many countries between Ireland and Nigeria and it's absurd that they're allowed to claim asylum here. Then again why wouldn't they, they get to stay here with free education and free medical care and they can spend as long as they like and tens of thousand of taxpayer money on repeated appeals when they lose their cases.

cricket

Not me obviously

See what you think

- I was fascinated

I'd say you're easily fascinated.

greengoose2

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies