• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Missing Man Turns Up After 8 Months

Seanie Lemass

Very strange story this one. 68 year-old Michael McGeever - former property developer in Dubai - went missing last June. Seemingly he was abducted. He was discovered at side of the road in Leitrim covered in a plastic bag and wearing no shoes. He claims he was held captive for the whole time and had been left there by men in a van. Definitely a good story in this!

Missing man found walking on country road - The Irish Times - Thu, Jan 31, 2013

stopdoingstuff

Removed my original remark so as not the wreck the thread.

Aindriu

Highly bizarre alright but at least he is safe!

Seanie Lemass

Sounds like they were skimping on the food anyway!

Seriously though, being held that long without any ransom demands or informed speculation as to why he was abducted must be unprecedented here.

Persumably he must have been reasonably well off if he was involved in Dubai property but I imagine that if someone had been holding him and forcing him to transfer money or whatever that that would have been monitored.

Hopefully he is okay and will be able to shed light on whatever did happen.

LamportsEdge

Lucky the Greens aren't still in coalition or he'd have received a bill for the plastic bag tax by now. IBEC are I understand it furiously lobbying Ministers at the moment trying to head off a Being-Found-At-The-Side-Of-The-Road-After-Many-Months levy on wealth creators.

Did they leave a delivery note with a neighbour?

That should see me safely excluded from this thread, I imagine. It is the mods' fault for excluding me off the military 'hut-hut-hut' Tom Clancy Readers Club thread on the 'Army Rangers'.

nicht besonders

Very suspicious. Definitely will be watching this space.

chriskavo

Developer missing for months found starving by side of road

Poignant story in the Indo about a businessman who once traded property in Dubai, was found destitute by Gardai in Leitrim after going missing for eight months. When the guards found him , he was wrapped in plastic with no shoes and in an extremely emaciated state. Shocking stuff.

Thank God he was found alive as I am sure his close family and friends had feared the worst.

A PROPERTY developer missing from his home for the past eight months is being treated in hospital after being found disorientated and starving at the side of a rural road.

Kevin Michael McGeever, who once traded property in Dubai, turned up after being on a garda missing list since last summer.

Mr McGeever (68) was found on a road near Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, late on Tuesday night.

Friends and relatives are said to be both "astonished" and "delighted" that he had been found.

It is understood Mr McGeever told gardai that he had been dropped off at the rural location by a van, but he was unable at this stage to recall where he had been for the past eight months since disappearing from his home in Gort.
Developer missing for months found starving by side of road - National News - Independent.ie

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Missing developer found...starving

Developer missing for months found starving by side of road near Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, after seemingly been dropped off by a group of men in a...van. he has been gone since last summer, so it will be very interesting to see where he was and why he was kept for so long.

Kevin Michael McGeever, who once traded property in Dubai, turned up after being on a garda missing list since last summer. Friends and relatives are said to be both "astonished" and "delighted" at his return. This is a serious kidnapping style crime.

Details below:
Developer missing for months found starving by side of road - National News - Independent.ie

sadmal

Poignant story in the Indo about a businessman who once traded property in Dubai, was found destitute by Gardai in Leitrim after going missing for eight months. When the guards found him , he was wrapped in plastic with no shoes and in an extremely emaciated state. Shocking stuff.

Thank God he was found alive as I am sure his close family and friends had feared the worst.

Reads like the opening chapter of a Stephen King short story.

Limerick Lad

Extraordinary story.

Fr.Ted Crilly

Developer missing for months found starving by side of road near Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, after seemingly been dropped off by a group of men in a...van. he has been gone since last summer, so it will be very interesting to see where he was and why he was kept for so long.

Kevin Michael McGeever, who once traded property in Dubai, turned up after being on a garda missing list since last summer. Friends and relatives are said to be both "astonished" and "delighted" at his return. This is a serious kidnapping style crime.

Details below:
Were there any ransom demands etc etc?
Seems a bit odd, to say the least, that he would be kidnapped and held for 8 months for no gain?

grumpydunphy

And the first thing he asked, upon being found roadside.....

"Have Liverpool beaten a top ten team in the League yet?!" petunia

skiii

Extraordinary story.
Not half as extraordinary as Bernard MacNamara declaring his intention to live in a caravan in Clare- where they should all be, if they addressed their debts.They have phucked everything up for generations.

imokyrok

Seanie Lemass

If the first question he asked was about the EPL soap opera they should have left him at the side of the road :)

I can't imagine why anyone would keep someone captive for that long without making a ransom demand. Very curious.

Fr.Ted Crilly

Followed by 'how many ref's did alex buy this season?'....