• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mississippi - the "Ireland of America"?

owedtojoy

In a news story about the attempt to send a poisoned letter to the President, this comment about the State of Mississippi came to my attention:

As a sixth-generation Mississippian, I’ve come to understand that in many ways Mississippi is the Ireland of America. It’s a green place where literature and music are valued more than acquiring wealth (perhaps because we’ve always been better at the former than the latter). Drinking and fighting are accepted and often respected social endeavors, and defending one’s honor is still considered worthy if not mandatory.
Oxford, Miss. Famous: Elvis, Kimonos, Castor Beans and a Grinder - The Daily Beast

Well! Time for an outbreak of national outrage, I think.

We are talking about a place where the national legislature has rejected a reasonable measure of control on lethal weapons, and schools are buying bullet-proof backpacks for pupils. So let's have some "Vingince, bejasus!".

US schools weigh bulletproof uniforms: 'It's no different than a seatbelt in a car' | World news | The Guardian

Ren84

What a bloody disgrace. I'll box the head of anyone who says we Irish are violent and like to fight. But first time for my afternoon pub session.

ManOfReason

As a sixth-generation Mississippian, I’ve come to understand that in many ways Mississippi is the Ireland of America. It’s a green place where literature and music are valued more than acquiring wealth (perhaps because we’ve always been better at the former than the latter). Drinking and fighting are accepted and often respected social endeavors, and defending one’s honor is still considered worthy if not mandatory
Can't muster up an argument against anything said there.

between the bridges

Bit of a slur on the Mississippian's but one can see the similarities...

discentes

Mississippi is comparable to places West Kerry perhaps. But that's the way if it. Rural, uneducated, conservative areas have much more in common with each other, at least within broader western civilization, regardless of nation that they do with urban, educated, dynamic centers. I've lived in a number of large cities and I find they all have far more in common with Dublin does that deepest, darkest rural Ireland (Monaghan) does. The problem, of course, is that rural areas produce educate, broad minded people, but the go to college and never come back. Its a vicious circle, really.

Anyway, I'm not sure in what circles in Ireland violence is acceptable, but certainly not amongst anyone I know.

johnny365

Mississippi is comparable to places West Kerry perhaps. But that's the way if it. Rural, uneducated, conservative areas have much more in common with each other, at least within broader western civilization, regardless of nation that they do with urban, educated, dynamic centers. I've lived in a number of large cities and I find they all have far more in common with Dublin does that deepest, darkest rural Ireland (Monaghan) does. The problem, of course, is that rural areas produce educate, broad minded people, but the go to college and never come back. Its a vicious circle, really.

Anyway, I'm not sure in what circles in Ireland violence is acceptable, but certainly not amongst anyone I know.
People from West Kerry are educated just look at Joe Higgins, would a champion of the left come from West kerry if it was such a case? I think you mean South Kerry the gombeen and redneck part of the county!!

Roll_On

I wonder what makes him think the Irish aren't good at making money???

Besides Irish people are far better educated than Americans in general and Mississippians especially.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
If the population of this country was 40% black I would be loading up on ammo also.

harshreality

If the population of this country was 40% black I would be loading up on ammo also.
Another shipload of fake tan has just arrived in Dublin port and is destined for the Dublin, Cork and Limerick markets so don't breathe a sigh of relief just yet!

pippakin

Americans are not as well educated as our young people, their health care is if anything worse than ours and our attitude to violence is not to tolerate it.

None of the above means we don't have poorly educated, violent people and our health care is uneven but anyone who thinks our poor are similar to American poor needs to think again.

D

Dylan2010

they should send them this video and see if they change their minds :D

[video=youtube_share;kpZbaz3Wlfw]http://youtu.be/kpZbaz3Wlfw[/video]

Ren84

People from West Kerry are educated just look at Joe Higgins, would a champion of the left come from West kerry if it was such a case? I think you mean South Kerry the gombeen and redneck part of the county!!
All of Kerry is the gombeen and redneck party of Ireland, with Lowry's Tipp constituency coming a close second.

johnny365

All of Kerry is the gombeen and redneck party of Ireland, with Lowry's Tipp constituency coming a close second.
Why so, clearly South Kerry has elected worse representatives than North Kerry. Sure look at Dublin, Ray Burke, Lawlor, Bertie surely Dublin is every bit as gombeen?

Ren84

I wonder what makes him think the Irish aren't good at making money???

Besides Irish people are far better educated than Americans in general and Mississippians especially.
Americans are not as well educated as our young people, their health care is if anything worse than ours and our attitude to violence is not to tolerate it.

None of the above means we don't have poorly educated, violent people and our health care is uneven but anyone who thinks our poor are similar to American poor needs to think again.