• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mobile phone radiation

rhonda15

So lately I have been having discomfort around my right ear and even some pain behind my ear and it got me thinking about mobile phone radiation.
Even though the model phone I have (Samsung) is one of the better ones with regard to SAR radiation (you can check yours here: Cell Phone Radiation Chart - Mobile phone EMF safety shield) - however I live in a rural area with sometimes a weak signal and apparently that causes radiation to increase.

Smart phones (apple iphones etc) have particularly high radiation levels.

Also something I did not know is that cordless phones can emit even much higher radiation than mobile phones!

So I did a little research and I have decided to go ahead and order SAR shield (a little sticker you put on the back of the phone which absorbs and deflects up to 89% of the radiation away from your head). I got 3 of them to put on my cordless phones also. At €38.74 I figured they weren't going to break the bank and hopefully you can transfer them when you get a new phone.

Cell Phone Radiation SAR Shield. Mobile phone radiation chart

SAR Shield reduce cell phone radiation - HiTech Review

There are lots of gimmicky shields out there but as far as I can tell SAR shield is the only one proven to work.

I await the postman with interest.

consultant

So lately I have been having discomfort around my right ear and even some pain behind my ear and it got me thinking about mobile phone radiation.
Even though the model phone I have (Samsung) is one of the better ones with regard to SAR radiation (you can check yours here: Cell Phone Radiation Chart - Mobile phone EMF safety shield) - however I live in a rural area with sometimes a weak signal and apparently that causes radiation to increase.

Also something I did not know is that cordless phones can emit even much higher radiation than mobile phones!

So I did a little research and I have decided to go ahead and order SAR shield (a little sticker you put on the back of the phone which absorbs and deflects up to 89% of the radiation away from your head). I got 3 of them to put on my cordless phones also. At €38.74 I figured they weren't going to break the bank and hopefully you can transfer them when you get a new phone.

There are lots of gimmicky shields out there but as far as I can tell SAR shield is the only one proven to work.

I await the postman with interest.[/QUOTE]

I suppose since the milk-men stopped calling..............

stripey cat

Proven to work by whom? Can you explain how it works- what the science is?

jmcc

This should be good. :)
/me opens the popcorn (microwaved of course) and a can of Coca Cola to upset the gooders.

Regards...jmcc

paulp

I thought you had to pay to advertise on politics.ie?

rhonda15

The SAR Shield combines technology from the materials used to shield Stealth Bombers from radar detection and telecommunications fields in the shape of a flexible sticker no larger than the size of a nickel that absorbs the electromagnetic waves (radiation) emitted while the phone is in use. The SAR Shield then deflects the waves away from the user’s ear and skull, reducing the specific absorption rate (SAR) upwards of 89%, which is quite an impressive achievement, to say the least.

"This is the first generation that has put relatively high-powered transmitters against the head, day after day," says Dr. Ross Adey, who has been studying microwave radiation for decades, and is one of the most respected scientists in the field.

The SAR Shield retails for $15, which is quite an attractive price point, at least as long as the device manages to deliver on its promise, of course, which is most likely the case, given the fact that it's FCC approved. Plus, a part of this money will be donated by the company to brain cancer awareness and further studies on cell phone radiation.
SAR Shield Cuts Down Your Phone's SAR Value - Softpedia

SAR Shield :: Sigma Automotive

(FCC is the Federal Communications Commission) Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page

jmcc

The sticker is applied to the back of the phone.

The radiation from the phone's antenna radiates in all directions including from the front of the phone.

The front of the phone is the part that is pointing at the user's head.

So unless the sticker is absorbing the energy, focusing it and reradiating it in another direction, then it is effectively useless. If it is altering the properties of the phone's antenna then there might be some basis for the claims however the big problem is that nobody had differentiated ionising radiation from non-ionising radiation.

The simplest solution would be to use a hands-free headset so that you would not be putting the transmitter right beside your head.

Regards...jmcc

rhonda15

The sticker is applied to the back of the phone.

The radiation from the phone's antenna radiates in all directions including from the front of the phone.

The front of the phone is the part that is pointing at the user's head.

So unless the sticker is absorbing the energy, focusing it and reradiating it in another direction, then it is effectively useless. If it is altering the properties of the phone's antenna then there might be some basis for the claims however the big problem is that nobody had differentiated ionising radiation from non-ionising radiation.

The simplest solution would be to use a hands-free headset so that you would not be putting the transmitter right beside your head.

Regards...jmcc
I believe that is exactly what it does.

It's kind of hard to find hands-free sets for home cordless phones.

Last edited:

darkhorse

I hope they are more effective than the radiation shields they used to put in front of computer monitors some years ago. They were good at gathering dust making it almost impossible to view what was on the screen.

jmcc

I believe that is exactly what it does.
I don't and would need a lot more data and explanation to even come close to believing it. The claims about Stealth technology are just marketing from what I can see. The reality is that some of the materials used in Stealth can be toxic and much of the reduction in radar signature of a stealth aircraft is down to reflection. Think of a flat mirror. It reflects an image. What some of Stealth technology does is to change that mirror from being a single surface to a multiple surfaces pointing in different directions so instead of a single image being reflected, multiple images are reflected in different directions. This means that the radar does not get a nice clean return on its signal. The process does not entirely eliminate the aircraft's radar signature. That's where the Materials Science comes in. By using exotic materials, some of the signal can be absorbed or converted to another form of energy.

It's kind of hard to find hands-free sets for home cordless phones.
There's a lot of scare stories out there about this kind of thing and many of them are put about by people trying to sell things.

Regards...jmcc

Akrasia

I await the postman with interest.
There's one born every minute

myksav

Many people feel discomfort of the ear, etc, when using mobile phones. This is not due to radiation of any form. It is because the speaker area of a mobile phone is not comfortable to have pressed against the ear.

Any material that absorbs radiation never emits the same amount it took in, so if it truly worked it would cause the phone to increase its output as it does in poor reception areas, increasing the radiation coursing through your head.:shock: Also, amy material that would absorb radiation would heat up and effect the performance of the phone.
If, as it claims, it generates a signal free zone in the direction of the users head, when the user was between the phone and a cell there would be no reception.

The signal from a home cordless phone is miniscule. It's a very short range system and the wattage output is lower than a mobile phone. And there's always the loudspeaker function.

rhonda15

Whatever.

Hands-free sets and speaker phone options are not always practical all the time.

I'd rather spend the €17 for one of these stickers and hopefully have some kind of protection all the time - any way the hands-free sets will mostly just mean the radiation will go into your hip instead - hip cancer anyone?

As for the fear mongering - we don't hear half enough about this kind of thing - the phone manufacturers have already patented virtually radiation free phone technology but will not release it because they are scared to death of thousands of lawsuits.

Last edited:

rhonda15

SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) from a cell phone is the extent to which the user is exposed or subjected to. Radiations are harmful no doubt, and thats why SAR limits are imposed. Speaking, from health point of view, the lower the SAR, the better a cell phone is.

Cell phones are designed and manufactured not to exceed limits for exposure to RF energy value set by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) of the United States and the recommendations of the Council of the European Union. The SAR limit set by the FCC is 1.6 watts per kilogram (W/kg). The SAR limit set by the Council of the European Union is 2.0 W/kg.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHbsnFas9Y&feature=related]YouTube - Mobile Phone Radiation Shield , SAR & The Iphone 3G Part 1[/ame]

myksav

Oops. I hadn't realised this was a conspiracy theory thread.

I hear that covering your head with aluminium foil will do the job cheaper and more effectively.

splashy

Whatever.

Hands-free sets and speaker phone options are not always practical all the time.

I'd rather spend the €17 for one of these stickers and hopefully have some kind of protection all the time - any way the hands-free sets will mostly just mean the radiation will go into your hip instead - hip cancer anyone?

As for the fear mongering - we don't hear half enough about this kind of thing - the phone manufacturers have already patented virtually radiation free phone technology but will not release it because they are scared to death of thousands of lawsuits.
Wha?

As a tangential question, could anyone tell me why my lap finds a laptop so disagreeable? Is it just heat or is it some more pernicious form of radiation?

rhonda15

Cell Phones Cause Brain Cancer, Scientists Warn

"I fear we will see a tsunami of brain tumors, although it is too early to see that now since the tumors have a 30-year latency," study author Lloyd Morgan said. "I pray I'm wrong, but brace yourself."

Among the research cited in the study was a recent study by a Swedish team of scientists that found a 420 percent higher risk of brain cancer among people who had started using cellular or cordless phones as teenagers. Older analog phones, which are now mostly off the market, had been found to increase cancer risk by 700 percent.

Cell Phones Cause Brain Cancer, Scientists Warn

I would be very wary of giving an iphone to a teen or pre-teen

rhonda15

very good article here

Warning: Your Cell Phone May Be Hazardous to Your Health

Earlier this winter, I met an investment banker who was diagnosed with a brain tumor five years ago. He's a managing director at a top Wall Street firm, and I was put in touch with him through a colleague who knew I was writing a story about the potential dangers of cell-phone radiation. He agreed to talk with me only if his name wasn't used, so I'll call him Jim. He explained that the tumor was located just behind his right ear and was not immediately fatal—the five-year survival rate is about 70 percent. He was 35 years old at the time of his diagnosis and immediately suspected it was the result of his intense cell-phone usage. "Not for nothing," he said, "but in investment banking we've been using cell phones since 1992, back when they were the Gordon-Gekko-on-the-beach kind of phone." When Jim asked his neurosurgeon, who was on the staff of a major medical center in Manhattan, about the possibility of a cell-phone-induced tumor, the doctor responded that in fact he was seeing more and more of such cases—young, relatively healthy businessmen who had long used their phones obsessively. He said he believed the industry had discredited studies showing there is a risk from cell phones. "I got a sense that he was pissed off," Jim told me. A handful of Jim's colleagues had already died from brain cancer; the more reports he encountered of young finance guys developing tumors, the more certain he felt that it wasn't a coincidence. "I knew four or five people just at my firm who got tumors," Jim says. "Each time, people ask the question. I hear it in the hallways."

It's hard to talk about the dangers of cell-phone radiation without sounding like a conspiracy theorist. This is especially true in the United States, where non-industry-funded studies are rare ...
Read More Warning, Your Cell Phone May Be Hazardous To Your Health: Gear + Gadgets: GQ