• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mobile phones as a surrogate for a life?

Marcos the black

Just chatting with a work colleague today and they were explaining to me why they were upgrading from funky fone 2750 to funky fone 27512x and how the benefits outweigh the costs... And so on...

But wait, aren't phones supposed to make phone calls, and texts from time to time? I, like most people have a computer in work, a computer at home, a tablet and a phone... I'm "online" 18 hours a day... And I've recently noticed that if I buy a product on Amazon accessories for that product are being advertised to me on p.ie and other sites... I don't need to view/access my Facebook/linkedin account on my phone and guess what if you email me a work email at 2 am I don't want my phone to wake the whole house up in the process....
But I seem to be in the minority... Apparently if your phone can't series link, act as a boarding pass and update your location to the world and it's mother it's not a phone.....

Are we becoming too dependent/reliant on our communication devices as an alternative for.... You know... Communication.. Face to face.. And who's getting this info about YOU anyway...

Has this rant been done before? And yes I get the irony that I'm using the Internet question the Internet..

Mountaintop

....not as ironic as me using my phone to add to your debate on over-reliance on phones.

westernyelp

What's your beef with phones as opposed to desktop computers or laptops?

Marcos the black

....not as ironic as me using my phone to add to your debate on over-reliance on phones.
Ah... But isn't there a newer shinier version of your phone coming out in 2 months time that you just have to have cos it has jump leads with it?

Marcos the black

What's your beef with phones as opposed to desktop computers or laptops?
Cos both of those last for at least 5 years or so... And cost the same as the latest and greatest mobile phone.. Seems to me that everyone upgrades their phone at least once a year without counting the cost.. Is a mobile bill now a "utility" bill.. How many people do you know with a phone more than say 2 years old?

Twin Towers

Still you'd be surprised how difficult it is to give up a mobile phone.

westernyelp

Cos both of those last for at least 5 years or so... And cost the same.. Seems to me that everyone upgrades their phone at least once a year without counting the cost.. Is a mobile bill now a "utility" bill.. How many people do you know with a phone more than say 2 years old?
Besides Enda Kenny , not many. But Moores law continues to hold true and most of the r&d these days goes into mobile devices.
People like new shiny things that's why they change their phones. You are allowed keep them as long as you like.

Marcos the black

Besides Enda Kenny , not many. But Moores law continues to hold true and most of the r&d these days goes into mobile devices.
People like new shiny things that's why they change their phones. You are allowed keep them as long as you like.
"Allowed to keep them"... Yep..that's the mindset I'm after..

I only use my (rather basic) mobile rarely, sometimes text, and have never used it for any internetting. I have never downloaded any 'app' (a word I hate). The concept of being permanently contactable and permanently expected to be in contact (whether with individuals or the world via the internet) is something that horrifies me - I simply do not understand why people volunteer for this tyranny of contactability...

That is all.

gerhard dengler

Perhaps, I'm a Luddite and old fashioned to boot but all this "LinkedIn, Facebook, Skype, Online Accessibility.........." is a blight in many regards.

The means have become the end.
You cannot have a face to face conversation with someone without their mobile phone either ringing or being in receipt of a text message/alert.
You can see their expression which says "I really need to look at my phone".
I turn off my phone if I am going to a meeting or attending an appointment.
I think it is the height of bad manners to be in a meeting to be interrupted by "an urgent phone call/text message".

I much prefer speaking to someone in person. Conversations on phone or by email or by any other electronic format is not as tangible as communication through human interaction.

Marcos the black

Perhaps, I'm a Luddite and old fashioned to boot but all this "LinkedIn, Facebook, Skype, Online Accessibility.........." is a blight in many regards.

The means have become the end.
You cannot have a face to face conversation with someone without their mobile phone either ringing or being in receipt of a text message/alert.
You can see their expression which says "I really need to look at my phone".
I turn off my phone if I am going to a meeting or attending an appointment.
I think it is the height of bad manners to be in a meeting to be interrupted by "an urgent phone call/text message".

I much prefer speaking to someone in person. Conversations on phone or by email or by any other electronic format is not as tangible as communication through human interaction.
I was in a sales meeting one day with a potentially large client and the "lead" sales guy took a call mid way... I was mortified... Needless to say we didn't get the contract... Don't work with him now... Think they went bust.. Damned recession..

gerhard dengler

I was in a sales meeting one day with a potentially large client and the "lead" sales guy took a call mid way... I was mortified... Needless to say we didn't get the contract... Don't work with him now... Think they went bust.. Damned recession..
Yeah it is embarrassing.

In one instance where I forgot to turn off my phone, I deliberately allowed my phone to "ring out" rather than interrupt the meeting by answering the phone. As soon as it stopped ringing I switched off the phone.

I see the kids stuck to the phones/tablets/laptops.
They've 600 "friends" apparently on social media websites.

The younger ones still like to actually go out and play sport with animate real flesh and blood friends, as opposed to the older ones who "connect" with inanimate electronic "friends". All 600 of 'em:roll:

sethjem7

I think there is too much credence put on the new era of communications! True, it may have made the world smaller but it is not a substitute for actual human interaction and I hope it will never will be...Our evolution allows us to interact with each other with so many nuances, gestures and timbres that cannot be replicated by emoticons or text speak.

We should also allow technology to aid us and not be intrusive substitute into our actual lives.

I was learning Irish up in Donegal about ten years ago and was at one of the events they organised - a couple who sang ballads in Irish were in the middle of singing a slow and maudlin ballad in Irish about some Donegal fishermen who drowned many years ago. It was getting to the quiet and tragic part when, of course, right on cue, and with everyone listening intently and seriously to this terrible tale, my phone started ringing th Nokia theme tune. Everyone turned around to stare at me, one of the singers glared at me, and I was saying a prayer that I had suddenly been granted new powers of invisibility. Needless to say I have never kept my phone on 'loud' ever since....

westernyelp

"Allowed to keep them"... Yep..that's the mindset I'm after..
Well I really don't get what point you are trying to make tbh. You spend a lot of time on computers, for work etc and using the Internet. But if someone else chooses to use a mobile device or phone to do this then this is bad. Especially if they upgrade the phone too often for your liking. Sounds a bit cranky to me.

Deep Blue

Heard the actress Sheila Hancock (Wife of The late John Thaw of Morse,etc.) once speaking on Grumpy Old Women
about all this modern technology stuff.

She was travelling by train and hoping for a bit of peace and quiet, to read, think; whatever,as you do.

This Yuppie sat opposite, started making and taking calls non-stop (very loudly), in between tapping on the laptop, showing complete disregard for everyone else in the carriage.

When the ticket inspector was coming round, she leaned over towards the phone guy and asked sweetly: "Is it true you have to pay extra for your ticket when you do that... em... y'know like, for office space?

He soon scarpered to another carriage away from what he probably thought "a mad old bat".

Heard the actress Sheila Hancock (Wife of The late John Thaw of Morse,etc.) once speaking on Grumpy Old Women
about all this modern technology stuff.

She was travelling by train and hoping for a bit of peace and quiet, to read, think; whatever,as you do.

This Yuppie sat opposite, started making and taking calls non-stop (very loudly), in between tapping on the laptop, showing complete disregard for everyone else in the carriage.

When the ticket inspector was coming round, she leaned over towards the phone guy and asked sweetly: "Is it true you have to pay extra for your ticket when you do that... em... y'know like, for office space?

He soon scarpered to another carriage away from what he probably thought "a mad old bat".
Most people on the Tube or on trains here in London look on people talking loudly into their phones as being more contemptible than paedophiles. Although I personally would much prefer even that to the constant tinny noise from the earphones of cretinous sociopaths who infest tube journeys all to often...

USER1234

Most people on the Tube or on trains here in London look on people talking loudly into their phones as being more contemptible than paedophiles. Although I personally would much prefer even that to the constant tinny noise from the earphones of cretinous sociopaths who infest tube journeys all to often...
Wow calm down, extreme over the top!!!!

The only time i hate people using their phones is in the cinema, i really really hate those ignorant ******************************************s!!!!

Wow calm down, extreme over the top!!!!
You're right, it is over the top - I'd tell them that but they're probably unable to comprehend basic concepts such as civility and manners. In fairness to them it's probably not their fault that they weren't aborted. So until abortion is made retrospective for them I will tolerate their ignoramus ways, at least until the death squads are up and running..