Mobile Speed Cameras and privatising policing

jimwin

LowIQ

FrankSpeaks

Panopticon

It's a very good thing. If more people get charged with speeding, people will be inclined to speed less. The one improvement would be if they were paid a commission for each speeding motorist they catch, with a lower fixed fee. That would encourage them to catch more speeding motorists.

cry freedom

The Irish Times reports that new network of privatised mobile speed enforcement cameras is to go live from Monday. This is the first time in the history of the Garda that an element of day to day policing has been privatised.

Is this a good thing?

Mobile speed cameras to go live - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 12, 2010
No, it is not a good thing!
We had the clampers now we have the lampers.
A revenue collecting exercise endorsed by the control freaks in the road safety authority. That's what it is, plain and simple.

jimwin

Chickensh1t? Candy ass? Or just lazy? The Guards are the most useless "police" force around.
Are you referring to me or the Gardai?

FrankSpeaks

Hopefully we will get an Irish Version of this German Judge.

FrankSpeaks

It's a very good thing. If more people get charged with speeding, people will be inclined to speed less. The one improvement would be if they were paid a commission for each speeding motorist they catch, with a lower fixed fee. That would encourage them to catch more speeding motorists.
Bet you are the type that would be out on the motorway fining the drivers going at 121km/h.

jimwin

I wouldn't advocate speeding it all. I was wondering more about that privatisation of policing.

I have noticed it on the Luas and Dart. Have you see this private policing? Worrying

Panopticon

Bet you are the type that would be out on the motorway fining the drivers going at 121km/h.
You mean criminals? Yeah. Let them defend themselves if they are trying to avoid an accident. But criminals should be punished.

Bet you are the type that would let young fellas go out driving with pints on them because you put your social status above law and personal safety.

I wouldn't advocate speeding it all. I was wondering more about that privatisation of policing.

I have noticed it on the Luas and Dart. Have you see this private policing? Worrying
Why?

Baron von Biffo

More enforcement is a good thing but it would be far better if it wasn't privatised. All the profit that the private company makes is public revenue thrown away.

Thought should be given to increasing the fines as well. The state needs money so why not take it off those who choose to break the law?

Panopticon

More enforcement is a good thing but it would be far better if it wasn't privatised. All the profit that the private company makes is public revenue thrown away.

Thought should be given to increasing the fines as well. The state needs money so why not take it off those who choose to break the law?
Cameras aren't free.

Panopticon

Did you spot the word 'profit' in my post?
Not certain that the Guards would run it to make a profit. Certain that a private company would run it to make a profit. The only problem is that they don't have an incentive to catch more speeders than they need to.

jimwin

You mean criminals? Yeah. Let them defend themselves if they are trying to avoid an accident. But criminals should be punished.

Bet you are the type that would let young fellas go out driving with pints on them because you put your social status above law and personal safety.

Why?
I think it is a worrying to see the privatisation of policing. I believe that anti social behaviour is a matter for the Garda to enforce. I do not agree with these private 'robocop' police dispensing justice

Baron von Biffo

Not certain that the Guards would run it to make a profit. Certain that a private company would run it to make a profit. The only problem is that they don't have an incentive to catch more speeders than they need to.
It would be a waste of resources to put a trained garda in the back of a van all day to mind a camera. I would see it more as a redeployment opportunity for surplus low-skilled staff from other areas.

I'd far rather see the success or otherwise of this system measured in reduced crashes than offences detected.

Panopticon

I think it is a worrying to see the privatisation of policing. I believe that anti social behaviour is a matter for the Garda to enforce. I do not agree with these private 'robocop' police dispensing justice
I think it is great to see the privatisation of technical parts of policing. Speeding on a road is dangerous behaviour, not anti-social behaviour. Luas guards are not cyborgs.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies