• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Modular car safety upgrades

Ardillaun

Modular design has been around a long time but I don't see much evidence of it for safety upgrades in cars. These days, significant advances in car safety are being made every year as we move closer to autonomous vehicles. Should governments do more to encourage easier upgrades in older cars for rear view cameras, lane departure monitoring systems etc.?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Modular design has been around a long time but I don't see much evidence of it for safety upgrades in cars. These days, significant advances in car safety are being made every year as we move closer to autonomous vehicles. Should governments do more to encourage easier upgrades in older cars for rear view cameras, lane departure monitoring systems etc.?
The upgrades you mention are easy enough to add to older cars. They come at a cost, though, and for many it doesn't make sense to pour that kind of money into an older vehicle.

Accidental sock

My old car presumes I know how to drive.

Ardillaun

The upgrades you mention are easy enough to add to older cars. They come at a cost, though, and for many it doesn't make sense to pour that kind of money into an older vehicle.
I know you can add on rear cameras, for example, but what I am thinking of is a car-specific built-in version that would be the current model for that make. The technology in the rest of the car is not changing that fast and cars cost a fortune to replace. My auto is only four years old but the rear view camera is already much smaller than the 2016 version.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies