• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Monsanto: have you paid your royalties on that tomato?

Hewson

Monsanto is a dirty word in the eyes of environmentalists the world over. A by-word for corporate greed and manipulation of food growing practises anywhere it can suss out a profit.

It's the Goldman Sachs of the food world.

Today Monsanto owns 'patents' on 36% of all tomato, 32% of all sweet pepper and 49% of all cauliflower varieties registered in the EU. And the list is growing. The aim is corporate ownership of food production.

Once a patent exists in one country, trade agreements and negotiations often push other countries to honour it as well. That's why these food patents change everything about how our food chain works: for thousands of years, farmers could choose which seeds they’d use without worrying about getting sued for violating intellectual property rights. But now, companies launch expensive legal campaigns to buy patents on conventional plants and force farmers to pay exorbitant royalty fees. Monsanto and Co. claim that patents drive innovation -- but in fact they create a corporate monopoly of our food.
Do your bit for the future of safe and sustainable food production and an end to food production manipulation by a Company that wants to dictate what's grown where and by whom and to profit on the back of both.

Monsanto is the champion of GM foods, but now wants to extend its 'ownership' of ordinary food patents to maximise profits and reduce the choices that growers currently enjoy.

Avaaz - Monsanto vs. Mother Earth

D

Dylan2010

it just goes to show that statist law can be an ass. Did the second caveman to build a house owe a royalty to the first? I dont think so

eoghanacht

You are being very unfair to GS comparing them to those shower ;)

LamportsEdge

They aren't the only ones. A member of the Sainsbury family owns a GMO company experimenting with wheat strains.

He isn't involved in an effort to provide cheaper more resistant straints of wheat for bread. He wants to engender a situation where supermarkets will only buy the bread made from wheat on which he owns the patent.

Effectively some people want to charge royalties on food.

Dan_Murphy

They aren't the only ones. A member of the Sainsbury family owns a GMO company experimenting with wheat strains.

He isn't involved in an effort to provide cheaper more resistant straints of wheat for bread. He wants to engender a situation where supermarkets will only buy the bread made from wheat on which he owns the patent.

Effectively some people want to charge royalties on food.
Pretty much. And if Monsanto ever implement their terminator seed technology there isn't a farmer in the world who is not in trouble.

sauntersplash

Wait. How on earth could they enforce these patents?

Their status in this regard is essentially irrelevent, no?

eoghanacht

Do a bit of research on Monsanto.

Fascinating stuff

Dan_Murphy

In the US, if pollen from their patented crops spreads onto your farm, even if just carried by wind, they will sue you into the ground. Their patents are valid there and no farmer has the resources to combat it.

D

Dylan2010

In the US, if pollen from their patented crops spreads onto your farm, even if just carried by wind, they will sue you into the ground. Their patents are valid there and no farmer has the resources to combat it.
I wonder if my petrol bombs fell on their test fields, could I sue them for stealing my petrol? you couldnt make this sh1t up?

B

Boggle

Pretty much. And if Monsanto ever implement their terminator seed technology there isn't a farmer in the world who is not in trouble.
No patent should be awarded for any crop that can breed/reproduce/pollinate (whats the right term when talking about crops???).
If you want to sell sees then fine but whatever happens with those seeds is none of your business.

Nemesiscorporation

Monsanto is a dirty word in the eyes of environmentalists the world over. A by-word for corporate greed and manipulation of food growing practises anywhere it can suss out a profit.

It's the Goldman Sachs of the food world.

Today Monsanto owns 'patents' on 36% of all tomato, 32% of all sweet pepper and 49% of all cauliflower varieties registered in the EU. And the list is growing. The aim is corporate ownership of food production.

Do your bit for the future of safe and sustainable food production and an end to food production manipulation by a Company that wants to dictate what's grown where and by whom and to profit on the back of both.

Monsanto is the champion of GM foods, but now wants to extend its 'ownership' of ordinary food patents to maximise profits and reduce the choices that growers currently enjoy.

Avaaz - Monsanto vs. Mother Earth
If Monsanto gets its way, it will probably end up being illegal at some point to grow your own food without paying royalties.

EUrJokingMeRight

America is land of the free, or something, and I'm starting to think that the EU is just another 'franchise' of the United States of Corporate America.

Nemesiscorporation

Thats the thing that makes no sense.

It is impossible to sue Monsanto for vandalism if there pollen blows onto your land and grows there, yet they can sue you for illegally growing something on your land against your will.

sauntersplash

Hmmm, that sounds rather unconstitutional to me.

Nemesiscorporation

No patent should be awarded for any crop that can breed/reproduce/pollinate (whats the right term when talking about crops???).
If you want to sell sees then fine but whatever happens with those seeds is none of your business.
Thats the way it should be, but somehow Monsanto seems to have a different set of law standards applied to it in every country.

Only Germany has faced Monsanto down and that was over Monsanto trying to patent all German strains of pigs, which to be blunt about it, was an insane move by Monsanto.

B

Boggle

Hmmm, that sounds rather unconstitutional to me.
There was a case in the states to support what he said though there was more to it in that case... I think the farmer was actively clearing non-GM crops to take advantage of the GM stuff that blew in.

I don't know anything about farming though so I cannot explain the details.

eoghanacht

A very wise if despicable human being once said.

'Control the Oil and you control Nations, control food and you control people'

Clanrickard

Where has this happened?