• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Months waiting for dole, no income, huge ESB bills, ends in SUICIDE.

I urge all of you to listen to this podcast from the Joe Duffy show yesterday.

RT.ie Media Player: RTÉ Radio 1

Forward to 43 mins onwards.

A man from Slovakia commited suicide after being left without no support, huge debts and no hope.

For months he waited for his dole payments to come though and received no help in between. No money to pay his ESB bill afraid to use his electricity, him and his wife trying to keep warm with a candle.

The man eventually ends up commiting suicide.

A few days later his welfare cheque arrives and his wife cant even cash it to give him a funeral.

Is this what our country has come to? Disgraceful and disgusting.

How many other poor souls are in this situation?

How many people are off the records from dole figures awaiting to get some help and living in poverty.

This goverment are now looking to cut more from families and people where the end result will end up like this whilst the greens feel good about themselves adding tax to electricity charges that people cant afford.

This country disgusts me.

RIP to the poor man and my heart and prayers go out to his family.

White Rose

I can't understand how it takes so long for someone to get their first dole payment

Surely to god they could give an advance after a couple of weeks and take it from the first cheque

darkhorse

A man from Slovakia commited suicide after being left without no support, huge debts and no hope.

Not being funny but why didnt he just go back to Slovakia?

Bebsaboo

I think it's a bit distasteful to be using human tragedy to prove a point on your agenda.

wexfordman

And how many pensions do mc creepy and aherne have at the moment? Any delay in getting those processed ?

Sickening!!

ellie08

It was a very sad story. He lost his leg two years earlier due to an injury left untreated because he was afraid to go to hospital in case anyone found out he was working on a farm. The social welfare had asked his wife to come down to their office, and when she didn't come (she can't speak English), they cut off his payment. If only he had sought help, things could have been different. Another sad story, I don't know if anyone saw it was the elderly man who was conned out of his savings by a guy pretending to be a solicitor, who told him to go down and withdraw his money out of the post office. The poor man is on his own and is incredibly lonely, and was going to go to a hotel for Christmas so he wouldn't be on his own. The poor guy said he wanted to die. It was terrible to see a man of his age weeping. So sad. The bailout is really bailing out actions similar to the scumbag who took that man's money. I fear there'll be a lot of sadness and misery this Christmas. The sooner we get a new govt the better. The current one seems void of any empathy for the ordinary people of this country who never did anyone any harm in their whole lives.

neversaydie

The standard of posting on P.ie is deteriorating every day. The inability of a larger number of posters to grasp how politics works is incredible. To use the suicide of a poor helpless man to score political points against your opposing party is very low indeed.
I have often noticed that those who try create real discussion are shouted down by a frenzied mob of ignorant people who think politics is a football match, their side against the other with no real political discussion on how to achieve what is best for your country. Maybe I should explain in football terms the situation in Ireland , all your teams are 4th division and for anyone to think that this man’s death would have been prevented by your team in charge is either lacking in intelligence or just has their head in the sand.
The system let this man down and the people around him such as neighbours or his former employer let him down the Irish community let him down and to a certain extent the fact that he had language difficulties may have been a factor in the creation of his situation. You cannot blame a political party cover your guilt as a community.
No matter what the reasons the incident was tragic and let’s hopes it will never happen again when it could be prevented.
So please stop playing the football match and discuss politics and how you as a nation can get through this difficult period in your history, it will not be solved by riots or change in personal of the people in charge, it will only be change by changing your system and attracting a new generation into politics. Attitudes must change and I refer to everyone and not just politicians.

Just a simple question; why do the owners of this site allow any lunatic to join? There are so many good contributors who are being abusively shouted down by a frenzied mob who know little of the real world of politics?

Sync

It was a very sad story. He lost his leg two years earlier due to an injury left untreated because he was afraid to go to hospital in case anyone found out he was working on a farm. The social welfare had asked his wife to come down to their office, and when she didn't come (she can't speak English), they cut off his payment. If only he had sought help, things could have been different.
If only they spoke the language of the country they moved to as economic migrants. Why was he afraid people would find out he worked on a farm? Was he working here illegally or was he already claiming benefits?

From what you say above Ellie he moved here without being able to speak the language, either worked illegally or worked while claiming benefits, and then his benefits got cut off. Good. I fail to see how any government is to blame for this.

Available options:
Learn English
Call your embassy
Call the hospital
Call SVP
Move home

Sad stories aren't automatically someones fault.

wexfordman

Cop on neversaydie, I think it's perfectly correct to highlight the plight of people like this against the likes of the individuals I mentioned, I don't care who they are, and if you want to widen the comparison to make it more acceptable to you, here we go!

Compare the inability to pay an esb bill against the likes of:-

Harney, 1300 euro bill for hotel room for popes funeral
Kenny, 1200 euro hotel bill for same!
Drumm, Fitzpatrick etc etc
Hse/siptu/ibex slush fund

Need i go on?

My sympathies to the man and his family!

ellie08

If only they spoke the language of the country they moved to as economic migrants. Why was he afraid people would find out he worked on a farm? Was he here illegally or was he already claiming beneifts?

From what you say above Ellie he moved here without being able to speak the language, either worked illegally or worked while claiming benefits, and then his benefits got cut off. Good. I fail to see how the Irish government's to blame for this.

Available options:
Learn English
Call your embassy
Call the hospital
Call SVP
Move home

Sad stories aren't automatically someones fault.
Sync, I think I made it clear that it wasn't anyone elses fault. It was his wife that couldn't speak English not sure about him. You are correct in some of what you say. It is a sad state of affairs. The Irish govt is of course not to blame for this man, but their policies are and will be to blame for a lot of misery of the citizens of this country, and my point on getting rid of those gombeens in charge is that hopefully some change will come to this country.

Last edited:

Limerick Lad

It is extremely tragic when someone is brought to such despair that they see no way forward other than to commit suicide, particularly if financial pressures seem to be the trigger that pushes them over the brink, whether it this poor unfortunate man or some of the more publicised high profile suicides of the last couple of years

Twin Towers

I heard that yesterday and wondered why the man couldn't have gone back to Slovakia where he had adult children.

harryshounds

having worked all my life i was let go at start of the summer. the social welfare system is the most frustrating and degrading system i've ever experienced.
your treated like your some sort of dole cheat that thinks its great getting free money. its so slow its unreal. the vast majority of people on the dole now have probably been working all thier lives and never claimed a penny from the state, just worked and paid their taxes. now that we're in the sxit the state treats us like spongers.

gijoe

I listened to this yesterday and the one thing that was definitely clear is that he was staying in Ireland to collect disability benefit which he was then mostly sending back to Slovakia. That is why he ended up with such a large ESB bill, he was not paying the bills but sending the cash home instead. Plus it was revealed that his wife was going to be recieving an social welfare allowance as well even though she still retained council housing back in Slovakia.

This story is ill deserving of that much sympathy than at first glance.

neversaydie

Cop on neversaydie, I think it's perfectly correct to highlight the plight of people like this against the likes of the individuals I mentioned, I don't care who they are, and if you want to widen the comparison to make it more acceptable to you, here we go!

Compare the inability to pay an esb bill against the likes of:-

Harney, 1300 euro bill for hotel room for popes funeral
Kenny, 1200 euro hotel bill for same!
Drumm, Fitzpatrick etc etc
Hse/siptu/ibex slush fund

Need i go on?

My sympathies to the man and his family!

You need not go on because your point of view is repeated 100 times a day by posters like yourself.

Yes there are evil greedy men and women in positions of power but you fail to mention the evil people who steal €3b per annum in welfare fraud from honest tax payers & therefore deprive the likes of this poor man who ended his life? All sections of Irish society must look at their own actions and no section can hold the high moral ground.

johntrenchard

good question - he could have dissapeared off to Slovakia with no hope of the ESB ever tracing him.

why didn't he just go back home?

EDIT: I suspect that there is far more to this story than first meets the eye.

Twin Towers

Yes there are evil greedy men and women in positions of power but you fail to mention the evil people who steal €3b per annum in welfare fraud from honest tax payers & therefore deprive the likes of this poor man who ended his life? All sections of Irish society must look at their own actions and no section can hold the high moral ground.
Neversaydie is exactly what this man did not say and his comitting suicide is the ultimate attempt at holding high moral ground. Look, what youse made me do.

invpat

I listened to this yesterday and the one thing that was definitely clear is that he was staying in Ireland to collect disability benefit which he was then mostly sending back to Slovakia. That is why he ended up with such a large ESB bill, he was not paying the bills but sending the cash home instead. Plus it was revealed that his wife was going to be recieving an social welfare allowance as well even though she still retained council housing back in Slovakia.

This story is ill deserving of that much sympathy than at first glance.
I think we should shoot them and when we are finished with the immigrants lets start on the pensioners and after them the dole spongers, lets leave the country to the elites and those in permanant pensionable jobs.There you go recession sorted.

gijoe

I think we should shoot them and when we are finished with the immigrants lets start on the pensioners and after them the dole spongers, lets leave the country to the elites and those in permanant pensionable jobs.There you go recession sorted.
The facts are so damaging to your emote emote world view that you just will not recognise them.