More Anti Semitism by third level students.

johnny365

It seems moronic TCD students block the Israeli ambassador from speaking at and event that was designed for inclusive and diverse debate. They blocked the door of the venue where the event was due to take place. This doesn't apply if your Israeli it seems. Barry Williams of Irish4israel described the protestors as "hysterical" as they shouted pro Palestinian slogans. He also questioned why the Gardai didn't intervene to make sure the event proceeded. It was all so pointed out that the Turkish ambassador spoke at a similar event recently without a whimper about the horrific abuse of Kurdish human rights by Turkish authorities.

When is the cancer of anti Semitic groups and protests in Irish third level institutions going to be tackled? This shocking discrimination should not be allowed in a tolerant society that should be embracing debate and a range of opinions. Instead we have intolerance and moral ambivalence to Islamic extremism.

Trinity College Dublin event involving Israeli ambassador cancelled

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Its not anti semitism its pro-Palestinian sentiment.

While a staunch critic of Israel, Im not sure Im entirely comfortable with shutting debate down. Im a staunch believer in free speech. And I consider the right to refuse to trade economically with Israel in support of a two state solution to be legitimate.

However I think "no platforming" is part of a wider trend of hamfisted, kneejerk, thuggery by snowflakes who can't emotionally cope with political views fundamentally the opposite of theirs.

On the other hand I have little sympathy for the Israeli embassy with its history of unhelpful postings on social media.

edwin

These same idiots block lots of speakers. I very much doubt they're anti Semites though. That's just the call of the lazy pro Zionist.

johnny365

Its not anti semitism its pro-Palestinian sentiment.

However Im not sure Im entirely comfortable with shutting debate down. Im a staunch believer in free speech. And I consider the right to refuse to trade economically with Israel in support of a two state solution to be legitimate.

However I think "no platforming" is part of a wider trend of hamfisted, kneejerk, thuggery by snowflakes who can't emotionally cope with political views fundamentally the opposite of theirs.

On the other hand I have little sympathy for the Israeli embassy with its history of unhelpful postings on social media.
Opinions should not be silenced, what troubles me is the moral ambivalence from student groups when islamists come to town, they often support horrific actions and human rights abuses yet not s whimper from the trendy students.

The biggest issue here is the intolerance of different opinions and a significant amount of this is coming from trot infiltrators who have swamped student societies and groups,

johnny365

A group of about forty people chanted “we are all Palestinians, in our thousands, in our millions”.

Where is the antisemitism? Why have you branded this group antisemitic?
Why did they not block the Turkish ambassador if human tights was the over riding concern?

Betson

While a staunch critic of Israel, Im not sure Im entirely comfortable with shutting debate down. Im a staunch believer in free speech.

Nobody who believes in Free speech should ever be in anyway comfortable about shutting down debate regardless of the viewpoints been debated.

johnny365

These same idiots block lots of speakers. I very much doubt they're anti Semites though. That's just the call of the lazy pro Zionist.
What other speakers have they blocked outside of Israeli?

Dame_Enda

As for why the Gardai didn't intervene. They also didn't intervene to protect the Pegida gathering (only to respond to the rioting). Its very dangerous in my opinion for the State to act as as passive censor by allowing legal free speech to be suppressed by mobs - some of whom may or may not be in the pay of leftwing or business groups.

I favour bringing back the riot squad. Its not just this issue. There has been a growing breakdown of public order since the 2008 crisis. I did support the water protests but I think a Far Left and Republican element has infiltrated the protest movement to push other agendas and direct them towards those.

However, if Israel continues to outrage international opinion by flouting UN Resolutions and treating the Palestinians like cattle, then in my opinion they bring this on themselves.

johnny365

Forget the Turkish ambassador, Where is the antisemitism? Why have you branded this group antisemitic?
Are they I don't know is that not the point of this debate? Why have they picked the Israeli ambassador over other countries with horrific human rights records?

razorblade

Every viewpoint should be allowed to be heard in a democratic society wheather you agree with them or not.

darkhorse

The protestors chanted 'from the river to the sea palestine will be free' which is a call for the genocide of the Jewish people.
That is anti-semitic and a call to war

Dame_Enda

The protestors chanted 'from the river to the sea palestine will be free' which is a call for the genocide of the Jewish people.
That is anti-semitic and a call to war
No it isnt. Its a call for a one state solution. Ironically Israel is headed in that direction by its settlement expansion.

johnny365

As for why the Gardai didn't intervene. They also didn't intervene to protect the Pegida gathering (only to respond to the rioting). Its very dangerous in my opinion for the State to act as as passive censor by allowing legal free speech to be suppressed by mobs - some of whom may or may not be in the pay of leftwing or business groups.

I favour bringing back the riot squad. Its not just this issue. There has been a growing breakdown of public order since the 2008 crisis. I did support the water protests but I think a Far Left and Republican element has infiltrated the protest movement to push other agendas and direct them towards those.

However, if Israel continues to outrage international opinion by flouting UN Resolutions and treating the Palestinians like cattle, then in my opinion they bring this on themselves.
The far left intolerance of other opinions is a serious concern, college campuses now only permit people who hold certain opinions. Anybody who has opinions that are pro Israel or pro immigration control can expect to be silenced verbally abused or even assaulted.

Dame_Enda

The far left intolerance of other opinions is a serious concern, college campuses now only permit people who hold certain opinions. Anybody who has opinions that are pro Israel or pro immigration control can expect to be silenced verbally abused or even assaulted.
These people are a gift for the Israeli lobby as they get to present themselves as the victim rather than the Palestinians.

With reference to the Love Ulster riots in Dublin in 2006, I would strongly advise controversial debates like these to be held as far away from outlets selling alcohol as possible.

johnny365

I see trendy students were posting selfies from the protest saying no to war criminal state etc etc. I have no problem with peaceful protests but when it prevents people from staging an event the Gardai should have ensured this event went ahead and free speech was protected.

While I have no issue I do have an issue or a question for this protestors and supporters, if they are so concerned about human rights and war crimes, why are they so selective and only protesting at the Israeli ambassador? Nobody has yet attempted to answer this,

Strawberry

What other speakers have they blocked outside of Israeli?
Maryam Namazie, the head of the Council of Ex Muslims of Britain. The pattern here is that anybody who upsets Islamic fundies gets banned from speaking at Trinity. Obviously Israelis fall into that group.

darkhorse

There is no mention of this chanting in the link.

And anyway, such chanting is not a call for the genocide of the Jewish people, that's a lie.
Its not a lie - that chant is a call for the genocide of all Jews and is regularly used by Hamas activists
The Trinity protestors were chanting it as reported here

New Threads

Most Replies