More arrests

LeDroit

LeDroit do you not remember, Cael is a communist, they dont do democracy so he is perfectly entitled to his/ her view that the GFA should'nt stand.
But I thought communism was all about 'de peeple'. If you can't trust the people to make decisions then you're not really working for the people. Hence the reason communism never works in democracies.

willoughby

But I thought communism was all about 'de peeple'. If you can't trust the people to make decisions then you're not really working for the people. Hence the reason communism never works in democracies.
I would answer that but I totally agree with you, Cael might provide a more amusing answer anyway.

saoirsegodeo32

therell always be arrests, have to laugh at some posters predicting this will bring an end to the IRA, pretty sure thats what they were saying when they introduced internment

manna

I think dissidents would be the wrong word to describe them. Martin McGuinness' description would be more apt: Terrorist junkies.

saoirsegodeo32

I think dissidents would be the wrong word to describe them. Martin McGuinness' description would be more apt: Terrorist junkies.
wee marty called us conflict junkies i think youll find. i agree though dissident republicans is a stupid term considering the fact that none of the groups have actually dissented from republican politics. Provisional sinn fein are the ones who moved away and embraced moderate nationalism

Cruimh

therell always be arrests, have to laugh at some posters predicting this will bring an end to the IRA, pretty sure thats what they were saying when they introduced internment
Internment has worked more times that it has failed - one dissident bomb with civilian deaths and there's a fair chance it would be introduced both sides of the border - and this time round the intelligence is excellent and in the light of the GFA the world would approve ....

Scipio

Internment has worked more times that it has failed - one dissident bomb with civilian deaths and there's a fair chance it would be introduced both sides of the border - and this time round the intelligence is excellent and in the light of the GFA the world would approve ....
I don't think so. You cannot defend a democracy and remain as such by depriving people of their democratic rights. Internment does just that.

For a brief period after any such bombing it may be supported thanks to fear, but support would quickly drain away, and human rights groups would have a field day.

Northern Voice

I don't think so. You cannot defend a democracy and remain as such by depriving people of their democratic rights. Internment does just that.

For a brief period after any such bombing it may be supported thanks to fear, but support would quickly drain away, and human rights groups would have a field day.
It is a thorny issue. I would have some sympathy for the school of thought that there is a fundamental paradox in seeking to protect the rights of citizens who oppose the state that grants these rights. But I think there needs to be considerable suspicion of guilt before it is considered necessary.

Cruimh

As I said - Internment has worked more times than it has failed.

Scipio

As I said - Internment has worked more times than it has failed.
It may have. That doesn't make it right though, from a legal point of view, or indeed viable.

Just look at the fuss kicked up by the dissidents over almost nothing in Maghaberry. Internment would inevitably bring more problems that it solved, aside from the implications of subverting a citizen's rights.

Cruimh

It may have. That doesn't make it right though, from a legal point of view, or indeed viable.

Just look at the fuss kicked up by the dissidents over almost nothing in Maghaberry. Internment would inevitably bring more problems that it solved, aside from the implications of subverting a citizen's rights.
I was very specific though mate - if there was another Omagh or anything like it I don't think there would be any significant public or international support for the dissidents.

Cael

Cael, serious questions

How long should these guys spend in jail to prevent the 'normalisation' that most people desire?

We know you ideally think not a day, but in the real, imperfect world we live in, how long would you realistically be prepared to sacrifice?
I think that Republican organisations need to be doing much more than preventing normalisation. Organising civilian Soviets would be much more Revolutionary, in my view. What I said was, at the very least, they are preventing normalisation.

Cael

LeDroit do you not remember, Cael is a communist, they dont do democracy so he is perfectly entitled to his/ her view that the GFA should'nt stand.
You mean Communists dont do fake bourgeois "democracy" where the ruling class can dismiss any result that they dont like - as in the Nice and Lisbon referenda.

Cael

Thats why Communists want Direct Democracy - not fake representation.

Cael

I would answer that but I totally agree with you, Cael might provide a more amusing answer anyway.
Im glad you agree that LeDroit is a bit boring.

Cael

wee marty called us conflict junkies i think youll find. i agree though dissident republicans is a stupid term considering the fact that none of the groups have actually dissented from republican politics. Provisional sinn fein are the ones who moved away and embraced moderate nationalism
Marty is a comfortable old man. It doesnt bother him that he ordered the deaths of hundreds of people - just to further his own career. He sleeps like a baby. McGuinness is a typical sociopath. No belief system whatsoever. He simply does what he needs to do to get power for his own power addicted ego. That the Republican Movement had a creep like him and that other sociopath Adams, in leadership positions, really should make today's Republicans think.

But, of course, its strangely ironic that "NI" should have sociopathic criminals like this administering it. Sick leaders for a sick place.

Cruimh

Marty is a comfortable old man. It doesnt bother him that he ordered the deaths of hundreds of people - just to further his own career. He sleeps like a baby. McGuinness is a typical sociopath. No belief system whatsoever. He simply does what he needs to do to get power for his own power addicted ego. That the Republican Movement had a creep like him and that other sociopath Adams, in leadership positions, really should make today's Republicans think.
Not sure how old you are mate - but if applicable - what did you think of Adams and McGuinness in the 80s ?

Cael

Not sure how old you are mate - but if applicable - what did you think of Adams and McGuinness in the 80s ?
Personally I never trusted them. They always struck me as charlatans. Thats why I never joined PSF.

weepee

They may not get the Brits out by direct armed action, but they are certainly stopping normalisation and preventing the more stupid type of Taig from joining the enemy forces.
They are indeed attempting to prevent 'normalisation', whether they succeed or not remains to be seen, however.

I spent 30+ years in an abnormal environment, seen things that still keep me awake at nite, lost friends, lost family, lost a childhood, lost an education, lost hope.

Do you not think IM entitled to spend the rest of my life in peace, I believe Ive earned it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies