• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

More football related violence

devonish

I see that the trouble which Linfield fans caused in Dublin when they played Shamrock Rovers was reciprocated when rovers came to Belfast last night. It'll be interesting to see if any of the rovers fans arrested end up having Belfast accents. For once, it looks like Linfield fans weren't really involved, although I'm sure neither side were singing hymns.
The reality is that such a fixture is a magnet for anyone who wants a bit of trouble. Surely both clubs could restrict the selling of tickets to those who are club members/season ticket holders that way, at least they have the threat of a ban from the ground and they don't get those just wanting to start trouble.

Levellers

I've been going to Rovers games for years and never heard any sectarian chanting. They have a small hooligan element.

Linfield have plenty of previous for this.

devonish

I've been going to Rovers games for years and never heard any sectarian chanting. They have a small hooligan element.

I did state that I wouldn't be surprised if some of the rovers fans had Belfast accents. The reality is that a lot of football fans will sing & chant whatever will wind up the opposition supporters & if you're playing Linfield then it's is easy to figure out what sort of chants would work. Newspaper reports imply that one side was as bad as the other on the issue of sectarian chanting.

White Horse

They have more than a small hooligan element.

Tallaght is the only ground in the LOI where I don't feel safe bringing my children.

However, a Shams fan who I know well said that the violence was caused by Celtic fans from Belfast who infiltrated their section.

Glaucon

I watched the game last night; there were a lot of Celtic inspired chants coming from the Rovers section, and a few massive tricolours, but the accents sounded strongly from Dublin.

A few flairs were thrown, but didn't seem anything major. Rovers won handily in any event.

By the way, Windsor Park is an absolute sh*tehole, I hope they're redeveloping the place, because it's a disgrace that such a ground could function as a national stadium for any developed country.

InsideImDancing

I see that the trouble which Linfield fans caused in Dublin when they played Shamrock Rovers was reciprocated when rovers came to Belfast last night. It'll be interesting to see if any of the rovers fans arrested end up having Belfast accents. For once, it looks like Linfield fans weren't really involved, although I'm sure neither side were singing hymns.
The reality is that such a fixture is a magnet for anyone who wants a bit of trouble. Surely both clubs could restrict the selling of tickets to those who are club members/season ticket holders that way, at least they have the threat of a ban from the ground and they don't get those just wanting to start trouble.
Rovers and Linfield fans are not a great mix. Both have mad elements.

Rovers fans once kicked off at the Brandywell, ripping off chairs, wooden beams, you name it. Fek'n mad Dubs! I was born/lived in that area, thank fk we got out to the safety of the troubles.:)

IrishWelshCelt

Tallaght is the only ground in the LOI where I don't feel safe bringing my children.

However, a Shams fan who I know well said that the violence was caused by Celtic fans from Belfast who infiltrated their section.
I went there for the Boh-Rovers derby last season, great atmosphere didnt feel intimidated at all.

devonish

Rovers and Linfield fans are not a great mix. Both have mad elements.

Rovers fans once kicked off at the Brandywell, ripping off chairs, wooden beams, you name it. Fek'n mad Dubs! I was born/lived in that area, thank fk we got out to the safety of the troubles.:)
Was in the Brandywell once, went up with a mate, a pre season friendly against Spurs back about 88/89. Seemed like a nice setup.

theloner

Oh your mate told you? Typical 'Nordies', eh? :roll:

Glaucon

The Dublin accents chanting certain slogans were audible. Too easy to blame it on the Nordies.

shantykelly

Rovers games at the Brandywell have sometimes seen Cliftonville fans attend. Remember back when Roddy Collins was in charge, the Rovers singing support halved when they began singing what's it like to have a queen. They then started attacking each other with Tifo flag poles. Strange thing is they were the best of craic in the Metro after, no hassle at all.

NMunsterman

Chara I have told you before, we are on our own...
Not true for either Nationalists or unionists.

There's approx. 900K Nationalists in the north and 4.5 m in the rest of the country so Nationalists are certainly not alone......there's approx. 900K unionists in the north - and David Caldwell, so you're not alone either.

InsideImDancing

There's approx. 900K Nationalists in the north and 4.5 m in the rest of the country so Nationalists are certainly not alone......there's approx. 900K unionists in the north - and David Caldwell, so you're not alone either.
LOL. Plenty of Nationalist across the land care about Unionists, which is precisely why they are all in here and not on http://www.politicsforum.co.uk/forum/ :)

Swords Hoopster

Devonish, I was at the first leg and remember telling you that the exact same thing could happen in Belfast the following week and sure enough it did.

Both sets of away fans have plenty of thugs in them. The vast majority of the home fans of most Clubs are grand though.

vinoboy

Remember the Alamo and the Laptop Loyal !!!! :eek:

Swords Hoopster

Now that's some funny sh*t! petunia

M

moderateeastlderryunionis

Another internet know it all. please spend a week in Bangor,East londonderry, South Belfast, and be prepared to be proved wrong in your 50/50 bull. Good relations/Middle class = unionists.