• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

More HIV News: Up to 14 people maybe functionally cured of the disease

forest

News of this first broke around the time of AIDS 2012
Basically a group of 14 people where found in France who started treatment for HIV weeks after becoming infected
After been on medication for a number of years they stopped treatment and remained off treatment

While HIV is still found in there body it is at very low rates and the are well and stable off meds

They say the early treatment with drugs my have stopped the disease getting too much of a foot hold in the body
Some are saying that 1 in 10 people who start ARVs early (weeks after infection) may be (functionality) cured of HIV after a couple of years of treatment

Now 14 adults with HIV have been ‘functionally cured’ | euronews, world news
Fresh hope for 'functional cure' for HIV - RTÉ News
HIV 'functional cure' possible with early treatment, say scientists | Society | guardian.co.uk

If true that brings the number of people cured to 16

Nemesiscorporation

Basically a group of 14 people where found in France who started treatment for HIV weeks after becoming infected
After been on medication for a number of years they stopped treatment and remained off treatment

While HIV is still found in there body it is at very low rates and the are well and stable off meds

They say the early treatment with drugs my have stopped the disease getting too much of a foot hold in the body
Some are saying that 1 in 10 people who start ARVs early (weeks after infection) may be (functionality) cured of HIV after a couple of years of treatment

HIV 'functional cure' possible with early treatment, say scientists | Society | guardian.co.uk

14 out of tens of millions.

I know of a researcher who got infected in a laboratory back at the end of the 80's who ran a fever that nearly killed him and then has been viral free since. He refuses to have sex as he is afraid it could be dormant in it instead of being virus free. He made a formal complaint against a consultant who told him he was free to have sex due to being virus free. As a virologist he knows more about that virus than any consultant in a hospital. Most of the other researchers who got infected by accident back then trying to tackle that disease, are now dead.

Everyone's immune system is different. It does not matter how dangerous a disease is, someone will be immune from it.

The thing that worries me about HIV-AIDS is the extremely small amount of people who are immune to it. From a virology point of view that is a worrying development. Normally with every new disease the amount of people who are immune naturally, is a lot higher. One of the many reasons that this disease scares me more than most disease.

Humans have been been infected with retroviruses before. This one appears to be more brutal than any before.

forest

Well 1% of europeans are immune to the disease mainly Nordic and Germanic peoples
They lack the CR5 receptor gene
It was with a person like that. that Timothy brown got his bone marrow transplant
There was talk of trying the same thing again with cord blood but I haven't heard any news about it yet

What do you mean by viral free
Do you mean he is undetectable
There was a resent Swiss study that came out that said if you are undetectable you are very unlikely/cant pass on the disease even if you dont wear a condom

HIV & AIDS Information :: Swiss experts say individuals with undetectable viral load and no STI cannot transmit HIV during sex

Its not recommended though

In relation to cure
In order to cure the 34,000,000th person we have to cure person 14 first
We are a long way from a universal cure but at least in the west I feel we could get there in 10 years if people are prepared to take risks

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
14 out of tens of millions.

I know of a researcher who got infected in a laboratory back at the end of the 80's who ran a fever that nearly killed him and then has been viral free since. He refuses to have sex as he is afraid it could be dormant in it instead of being virus free. He made a formal complaint against a consultant who told him he was free to have sex due to being virus free. As a virologist he knows more about that virus than any consultant in a hospital. Most of the other researchers who got infected by accident back then trying to tackle that disease, are now dead.

Everyone's immune system is different. It does not matter how dangerous a disease is, someone will be immune from it.

The thing that worries me about HIV-AIDS is the extremely small amount of people who are immune to it. From a virology point of view that is a worrying development. Normally with every new disease the amount of people who are immune naturally, is a lot higher. One of the many reasons that this disease scares me more than most disease.

Humans have been been infected with retroviruses before. This one appears to be more brutal than any before.
There would be effectively no aids in this country if sensible policies were taken, Aids screening for immigrants is a basic step(many countries do this), cleaning up the heroin problem is another. As far as western countries are involved this "epidemic" is entirely manmade and policy driven.

In any case if you live a normal sensible life you dont have to worry at all. It really is an disease of bad living and lifestyle.

pragmaticapproach

There would be effectively no aids in this country if sensible policies were taken, Aids screening for immigrants is a basic step(many countries do this), cleaning up the heroin problem is another. As far as western countries are involved this "epidemic" is entirely manmade and policy driven.

In any case if you live a normal sensible life you dont have to worry at all. It really is an disease of bad living and lifestyle.
Did we ever have anything to worry about to begin with? you can see the full documentary on youtube, theres a few versions uploaded by a number of people.

[video=youtube;X_N4zgjF0K0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_N4zgjF0K0[/video]

blokesbloke

Does functionally cured mean that they can staff of meds for the rest of their life and the HIV will never develop into AIDS?

pragmaticapproach

Does functionally cured mean that they can staff of meds for the rest of their life and the HIV will never develop into AIDS?
Watch the house of numbers documentary.

blokesbloke

So are lots of conditions - cancer from smoking, diabetes from overeating.

You can catch HIV if you make one mistake - just one. Unprotected sex once is arguably no less silly than smoking, drinking alcohol to excess, overeating etc.

People die because of one mistake - crossing road against the lights, swimming in the sea and getting stuck, etc.

I suppose you remain perfectly healthy up on that high horse, but meanwhile other less perfect human beings sometimes do things they ideally shouldn't and are unlucky.

Last edited:

pragmaticapproach

You can catch HIV if you make one mistake - just one. Unprotected sex once is arguably no less silly than smoking, drinking alcohol to excess, overeating etc.

I suppose you remain perfectly healthy up on that high horse, but meanwhile other less perfect human beings sometimes do things they shouldn't and are unlucky.
HIV/AIDS is a political construct.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org

I suppose you remain perfectly healthy up on that high horse, but meanwhile other less perfect human beings sometimes do things they shouldn't and are unlucky.
It isnt just unprotected sex, its also unprotected gay-male sex with loads of people over a lifetime. I was listening to a doctor who was based in San Francisco at the time of the outbreak there and he mentioned it was entirely preventable epidemic.

blokesbloke

It isnt just unprotected sex, its also unprotected gay-male sex with loads of people over a lifetime. I was listening to a doctor who was based in San Francisco at the time of the outbreak there and he mentioned it was entirely preventable epidemic.
Only with foresight, which they didn't have. When the majority of people in San Francisco got HIV, the medical community didn't even know it existed, let alone how it was transmitted.

People used to smoke, use lead-based cosmetics etc. etc. without knowing it was bad for them. They cannot be blamed for that. They didn't know.

Hitch 22

You hate gay people.
You are scared of gay sex.
You hate gay people and you fear gay sex because you are a closet homosexual.
I get it.

The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772014

pragmaticapproach

The "Aids epidemic" in san francisco among primarily homosexual individuals was most likely the result of amyl nitrate abuse or "poppers".

Suttree

How rare would it be for a course of ARVs to begin within ten weeks though? Aren't you advised to wait three months before going for a conclusive test?

pragmaticapproach

How rare would it be for a course of ARVs to begin within ten weeks though? Aren't you advised to wait three months before going for a conclusive test?
The prescription of these ARVs en masse, particularly in sub saharan africa is nothing short of genocide. Its abit of a mystery why HIV is so prevalent in South africa and not as widespread in other parts of Africa. I'd suspect that many individuals in other parts of Africa would meet the criteria for a "HIV" diagnosis based on the standard testing procedure.

More moola for the big pharmaceuticals.

wexfordman

The "Aids epidemic" in san francisco among primarily homosexual individuals was most likely the result of amyl nitrate abuse or "poppers".

WTF ? Thats fncking hillarious!! Seriously, I literally burst my hole laughing when I read that!! Your a gas man, you should do stand up, in fact, I dare ye!!

pragmaticapproach

WTF ? Thats fncking hillarious!! Seriously, I literally burst my hole laughing when I read that!! Your a gas man, you should do stand up, in fact, I dare ye!!
Amyl nitrate causes a deficiency in the immune system which means a lower T cell count.

yobosayo

Please see Orwell on the perversion of the English language. "Functionally cured".... Jebus and Orwell wept.

blokesbloke

No, it really, really wasn't.

You have the least appropriate username in the history of P.ie.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies