More Judges appointed and guess what ...

ger12

ger12

Mushroom

Timing dear boy ... slip this announcement while the we look at horror to events across the water.
But surely a committed Sinn Fein supporter like you is wholly indifferent to the innocent victims of bombings on the "mainland"?

Or are you able to close your mind to such inconvenient matters?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Did the solicitor who shredded evidentiary documents in the Fitzpatrick farrago get a promotion?

mac tíre

Timing dear boy ... slip this announcement while the we look at horror to events across the water.
Indeed - along with shouting about the Shinners. They have outplayed that. Every time I hear FF or FG squeal about SF, I think to myself "What are they trying to hide?"

ger12

But surely a committed Sinn Fein supporter like you is wholly indifferent to the innocent victims of bombings on the "mainland"?

Or are you able to close your mind to such inconvenient matters?
But I'm a FF'er ... (at least that's the label attached to me last week old boy) ...

Mushroom

But I'm a FF'er ... (at least that's the label attached to me last week old boy) ...
I accept that you're politically promiscuous. But currently you're a Shinner.

ger12

I accept that you're politically promiscuous. But currently you're a Shinner.
Any comment to make on the Irish Times article in the OP?

ticketyboo

Government appoints several judges with links to Fine Gael

So ... new politics folks ... Lord Ross eh ... sigh ...

And the Chief State Solicitor has been appointed to the High Court (can't quite believe that one).

Any P.ie objections?
I'm not joking, ger....that's how the Mafia and FF both operate....place all your people at the heart of power and influence that you better control the apparatus of the state...United Ireland my hole....northerners of all hues speak LOUDLY and carry a big stick...

Mushroom

Any comment to make on the Irish Times article in the OP?

Only that I share your deep disappointment that Dessie Ellis and Aengus Snod failed yet again to make the cut.

ger12

Only that I share your deep disappointment that Dessie Ellis and Aengus Snod failed yet again to make the cut.
Again, Any comment to make on the Irish Times article in the OP?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
They should get MA's which are easy enough, trot over to King's Inn with a little form saying they are regarded as 'suitable persons' and after a couple of years of one evening a week in debating practice hey presto they'll be a 'King's Inn Barrister'.

Looks good on the election hustings. You know what the Irish people are like for what appears to be a Protestant on a horse.

King's Inn barristers are the only thing teachers are afraid of in local elections. They are natural enemies in the jungle.

sadmal

Government appoints several judges with links to Fine Gael

So ... new politics folks ... Lord Ross eh ... sigh ...

And the Chief State Solicitor has been appointed to the High Court (can't quite believe that one).

Any P.ie objections?
Is anyone really surprised by this? I'm not a great fan of Shane Ross but if the only thing he manages to achieve is an independent judiciary then he will have succeeded in his ministry IMO.

Is there a judge in the country who is not aligned to a particular political party and was appointed for that reason?

Mushroom

Again, Any comment to make on the Irish Times article in the OP?
Not being familiar with the two appointees, I am unable to make any informed comment about their suitability for appointment.

But I'm more than happy to defer to your in-depth knowledge of the Law Library and Kings Inns (presumably you emptied bedpans there for many's a year) so I agree with you that it's shockin' altogether.

I'll be phoning Joe Duffy tomorrow to complain.

Dame_Enda

Partisan political judicial appointments undermine the independence of the judiciary. We need US-style confirmation processes for judges, including disclosure of financial interests.

ger12

Is anyone really surprised by this? I'm not a great fan of Shane Ross but if the only thing he manages to achieve is an independent judiciary then he will have succeeded in his ministry IMO.

Is there a judge in the country who is not aligned to a particular political party and was appointment for that reason?
Very few.

FF appointed some of their own, FG and Lab exceeded FF in this regard. There are very few "independent" counsel in the Four Courts. Which means some very talented men and women will never be appointed to the judiciary while the mediocre rise to the top.

Mushroom

We need US-style confirmation processes for judges, including disclosure of financial interests.
So clearly you're 100% confident that

(a) US judges are the best in the world

and that

(b) such a process will ensure that only the very best candidates will be selected?

Bill

Partisan political judicial appointments undermine the independence of the judiciary. We need US-style confirmation processes for judges, including disclosure of financial interests.
and what do you wish to voir dire the would be candidates about

New Threads

Most Replies