• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

More $^%#@~! rubbish from Sarah Carey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roc_

Why is this woman allowed to express her opinions in a major column? She is not able to see what is in front of her face, and what she does see, she applies faulty analysis to. Some select snippets from her article today (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0930/1224279988580.html):

I winced and glanced surreptitiously around the breakfast room full of white, besuited, distinguished men studying their copies of the WSJ. Would they be calling their brokers straight after the eggs Benedict?
Here she sets the tone ala Isabel Morton or as Martin Mansergh puts it, "Respect your betters".

We are where we are. I get that too. Sometimes, you need to shut up because the big picture is what counts.
But do you 'get it' that the only way we can take the correct actions that will inevitably serve to create our future, is only by openly and honestly examining where we have come from - no matter how unpalatable that may be? That's by far the most important thing we need to do in these times.

When the legislation on the guarantee was being put through the Dáil, Michael Noonan specifically asked Brian Lenihan if this was a liquidity or a solvency problem. He was assured it was a liquidity issue and on that basis Fine Gael, unlike Labour, supported the guarantee. They believed what they were told and acted in the national interest.
Not one person in the entire thinking world at that time really believed that what was facing us was a liquidity crisis. At that time bank shares had lost 80% of their value - what fool would believe that liquidity would account for such a drop. The writing had been on the wall for a long time. - How many property booms and busts in history were there to look towards for a true indication of the state of affairs?

Let me be clear: I don’t think Lenihan lied. The banks lied to him and they’ve been lying ever since. I believe he is just as appalled by the scale of the disaster as we are. But he was conned, and he has to accept that makes it difficult for us to greet hope-based job targets of 300,000 with anything more than disdain.
The property pin for example was holding up clear evidence of Lenihan's lies way back in 2008. P.ie in more recent times has come to see through Lenihan's lies. There are numerous threads illustrating it. The mainstream media is the only channel holding him up as a non-liar, and that says a lot. I don't doubt either that he was appalled by the scale of the disaster, but likely for different reasons than you or me. And as for this assertion being innanely repeated in the mainstream media recently that 'the banks lied to us', that is beside the point... The real point is 'the establishment' indeed knew what was in front of them, but there was a systemic, institutional collusion (tacit) at national level, and refusal to acknowledge the facts and figures that were well in the public domain.

Patriots established the Dáil. Patriots would show up in it to tell Irish people the least they deserve – the truth. Otherwise, what was it all for?
Pure Orwellian double think and the last refuge of the scoundrel. You have no right to be filling the public with your bull, Carey. Get lost.

Tomas Mor

Sarah Carey is quite good, where are all the other journalists, only fawning up to what emerges from Merrion St, No solvency, only liquidity problems. What are opposition parties to do when you are told something by an office holder of government, ie. Minister for Finance,at a critical time like fateful night of the 29th/30th. Sept. 2008.

roc_

Sarah Carey is quite good, where are all the other journalists, only fawning up to what emerges from Merrion St, No solvency, only liquidity problems. What are opposition parties to do when you are told something by an office holder of government, ie. Minister for Finance,at a critical time like fateful night of the 29th/30th. Sept. 2008.
She was very good in her old column where she wrote about personal experience. She does not have adequate courage or perspicacity to write about the realities out there in the big world.

orbit

I agree with that article broadly. It doesn't absolve Lenihan or FF from their sins by any stretch.
She stealthily works for that Industry
In what way does she stealthily work for that industry? Just because her family may be involved, wouldn't be proof.

LeDroit

roc_

But she's a woman!
So is Elaine Byrne. Who is probably the journalist out there writing with the most courage and perspicacity at the current time it seems to me. Although they should allow her to reflect and think for much longer between columns, enabling her to write fewer, longer, higher quality columns imo. She is worth it. They're going to kill her making her write so often.

firefighter

So is Elaine Byrne. Who is probably the journalist out there writing with the most courage and perspicacity at the current time it seems to me. Although they should allow her to reflect and think for much longer between columns, enabling her to write fewer, longer, higher quality columns imo. She is worth it. They're going to kill her making her write so often.
She's an anti-Catholic bigot. She models herself on the Mary Robinsons, Ivana Bacik and Geraldine Kennedy's of this world. Unfortunately for her the neuve feminst career progression path has come to a crashing end, particularly now that the Irish Times can hardly afford it's day-to-day expenses, let alone pensions for columnists with fanciful ideas about themselves. If she was born 30 years ago, she'd be well in there.

adamirer

She was very good on Newstalk this am, along with Lisa Hand - found both very listenable.

Libero

More folksy ramblings that end up spinning, consciously or not, for Fine Gael. How very Carey.

It's interesting though that she started off talking of her consultancy work in Silicon Valley :)shock:). I wonder how Carey would have reacted if, during the reign of the dark lord Bush the Junior of Texas, some democrat-leaning columnist had put these thoughts on paper:
If the President is being slagged off on European prime-time television, that’s not good for any of us.
I understand that at times like this we have to put our differences aside and act in the national interest. Fine. I’ll put on my Stars n' Stripes Jersey and lie back and think of America.

And I doubt that Carey would have had anything but derision for an senior American politician who made the wrong call on war in Iraq but attempted to justify their mistake by referring back to how they asked, before the vote, for a pro-forma assurance on weapons of mass destruction. And if she treated that bit of ass covering with derision, she'd be right.
Yet according to her, it's A-OK for Michael Noonan to do have carried on like that two years ago, and apparently this let's FG off he hook for voting the wrong way on our Big Decision since they were misled, the poor things (even though they've been telling us since the 1920s never to trust the party of Dev).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popular Threads

Most Replies