More Statuphobia, Where Will It All End?

Lara2

An article in today's Independent.ie reports on a court case where a teacher assaulted the school caretaker in some sort of melee to remove the statue of Mary from the May Altar. The science teacher is a humanist and said that the presence of the May altar was "unpalatable and offensive to him personally on the basis of his belief that the religious statue of the Virgin Mary is one associated with the repression of normal human sexuality".

The accounts of what occurred were disputed, but according to the school, the teacher told the caretaker in an aggressive manner, "I'm putting it in your room so you can look at it" before removing the statue.

The school said the teacher was then asked to put back the statue and when he refused, the caretaker sought to retrieve it. It was then that the teacher pushed the caretaker, causing him to sustain a cut to his neck and bruising to his hand.
Caretaker left with 'neck-wounds' after science teacher tried to remove statue of the Virgin Mary from school - Independent.ie

Nowhere in the article are the individual's names, the school address or even location in Ireland stated.

Where will it all end? Will we have no statues at all soon enough?

talkingshop

An article in today's Independent.ie reports on a court case where a teacher assaulted the school caretaker in some sort of melee to remove the statue of Mary from the May Altar. The science teacher is a humanist and said that the presence of the May altar was "unpalatable and offensive to him personally on the basis of his belief that the religious statue of the Virgin Mary is one associated with the repression of normal human sexuality".

Caretaker left with 'neck-wounds' after science teacher tried to remove statue of the Virgin Mary from school - Independent.ie

Nowhere in the article are the individual's names, the school address or even location in Ireland stated.

Why don't they tell us what school it was, I wonder.

darkhorse

Why is it OK to have a statue on one of Dublin's main thoroughfares for a suicidal heroin addict who did nothing for anyone and not someone who represents everything decent in the world?

D

Deleted member 48908

Why is it OK to have a statue on one of Dublin's main thoroughfares for a suicidal heroin addict who did nothing for anyone and not someone who represents everything decent in the world?

Prince wasn't all that bad.

Lara2

I notice Bruxelles haven't got the prices of the food on the menu.

SamsonS

I thought it was about a fear of statistics! Or this being pie, statistics you don't like.

silverharp

the teacher sounds like a pillock, hope he is fired

Sync

Incredibly lucky not to be sacked.

Lara2

I thought it was about a fear of statistics! Or this being pie, statistics you don't like.
I just made it up. I debated about omitting the letter 'e', I thought maybe there would be more impact with just a 'u'. Fear of statistics would be just 'statphobia'

Fritzbox

Is there a legal basis for not revealing the names of the people involved, or what's the reason? Is the Workplace relations Commission not already over and done with and a ruling been given?

Lara2

Is there a legal basis for not revealing the names of the people involved, or what's the reason? Is the Workplace relations Commission not already over and done with and a ruling been given?
I don't know. I only saw the article in the Independent, don't know if there's any other reports elsewhere, but there's no answer to any of the questions you ask in that particular article.

mr_anderson

I miss the 80's.
It was a simpler time, when statues moved of their own accord.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies