More suspect phone invoices - Ned O'Keeffe

Radix

I'd imagine some folk around Rathcormac are having a good laugh at aul Ned this morning

O'KEEFFE REBUTTAL STUNS RATHCORMAC, Fermoy News
Read your link Ah Well and quote from it;

"]"Outspoken Fianna Fail TD Ned O’Keeffe has confirmed that he told the chairperson of the parents' council of a local national school that ‘there are no votes for Fianna Fail in the school’s village when approached for help in securing funding from the Department of Education.

Claire O’Flynn, chairperson of Rathcormac’s Scoil Bhride Parents' Council said that Deputy O’Keeffe made the ‘disgraceful’ remarks when she contacted him on the ongoing issue of overcrowding and the reliance on temporary classrooms at the school.

“He said that he had no votes in Rathcormac and that he would only speak to people in places where he had votes. He said that as far as Fianna Fail were concerned Rathcormac was ‘no use to us’ and asked me who I voted for,” Mrs O’Flynn said.

Mrs O’Flynn added that Deputy O’Keeffe suggested that his son, Cllr Kevin O’Keeffe, polled badly in the village at the recent local elections.

“Of course the people of Rathcormac will support their local man,” she continued, referring to newly elected Fine Gael Cllr Pa O’Driscoll - a Rathcormac native - “but surely politicians should realise that it’s not a vote against the others.”

Speaking to The Avondhu Deputy O’Keeffe reiterated his belief that there are no votes for his party in Rathcormac."

I think this just about says it all about the sort of politics we do in Ireland, and I include all parties. It is 'self serving' rather than 'people serving'.Is it any wonder we're in the bind we're in? Does anyone think it will be any different, if we rearrange the deck chairs in Kildare St? We're still going to go down, unless we realise that a completely new beginning is what is required, a return to 'first principles' if you like.

Craven greed, self service, mé féinism, putting a will to power before a basic understanding of power; seen as service to our fellow citizen, subject to reason, and limited by basic human rights, can only ensure the ultimate prolonging of our problems.

The old self serving, dynastic, nepotistic guard has to be changed!

Do I have any hope that this will happen? Of course I do, it has to happen and it will happen! The alternatives are unthinkable, and I for one don't see the 'light' at the end of the tunnel as an oncoming train.

Yes, it probably will be forced upon us by the inevitable consequences of our bad choices to date, and I am not going to apportion individual blame in this regard here.

Q-Tours

I thought that the Oireachtas had to make the complaint for this to happen.
Under s. 4 of the Standards in Public Office Act 2001 any person can make a complaint in writing, in this case to the Clerk of the Dáil. (A few people did just that with St. Ivor to the Clerk of the Seanad.)

It may cost dear Ned 20 days' clocking-in money but it would be a sacrifice I'd be prepared to make! (In de nashnul intrist, of course...)

Mushroom

Is this the same Ned who was suspended from the Dail for a fortnight in 2002 for some dodgy misbehaviour relating to feeding meat and bone meal to his pigs back in the BSE days?

Clearly a Green pin-up boy!

Barnacle

Under s. 4 of the Standards in Public Office Act 2001 any person can make a complaint in writing, in this case to the Clerk of the Dáil. (A few people did just that with St. Ivor to the Clerk of the Seanad.)

It may cost dear Ned 20 days' clocking-in money but it would be a sacrifice I'd be prepared to make! (In de nashnul intrist, of course...)
We can make a complaint to the Clerk of the Dail but didn't they say that a complaint to the Garda/Fraud Squad could only be made by the Oireachtas, as they deemed them to be the injured party.

stoichkov

Will there Fvck ( James Gogarty)
that was one of the baileys, wasn't it? not gogarty.

anyway, what's all this stuff about "scary mary's brother".

Tomas Mor

that was one of the baileys, wasn't it? not gogarty.

anyway, what's all this stuff about "scary mary's brother".
It was Gogarty who asked if he would a receipt off Ray Burke and was told the answer "will we f*". O 'Keeffe bought his phone of a Coughaln guy in Edenderry, he is a brother of our beloved and Tánaiste. Naturally he keeps it in the FF family.

DCon

It was Gogarty who asked if he would a receipt off Ray Burke and was told the answer "will we f*". O 'Keeffe bought his phone of a Coughaln guy in Edenderry, he is a brother of our beloved and Tánaiste. Naturally he keeps it in the FF family.
The owner of the phone shop in O'Keefe's constituency must be a FGer..

The Dude

I said it back when Callelly was pulled up on a similar trick that Fianna Fail wouldn't suspend a TD over similar offences and it looks like I was proved right

mmrebel

I said it back when Callelly was pulled up on a similar trick that Fianna Fail wouldn't suspend a TD over similar offences and it looks like I was proved right
Not unless RTE get involved and have it on primetime or the news.
There seems to be a real effort by RTE and Irish times not to run with stories unless they break or shape the debate on them.

Rocky

Read your link Ah Well and quote from it;

"]"Outspoken Fianna Fail TD Ned O’Keeffe has confirmed that he told the chairperson of the parents' council of a local national school that ‘there are no votes for Fianna Fail in the school’s village when approached for help in securing funding from the Department of Education.

Claire O’Flynn, chairperson of Rathcormac’s Scoil Bhride Parents' Council said that Deputy O’Keeffe made the ‘disgraceful’ remarks when she contacted him on the ongoing issue of overcrowding and the reliance on temporary classrooms at the school.

“He said that he had no votes in Rathcormac and that he would only speak to people in places where he had votes. He said that as far as Fianna Fail were concerned Rathcormac was ‘no use to us’ and asked me who I voted for,” Mrs O’Flynn said.

Mrs O’Flynn added that Deputy O’Keeffe suggested that his son, Cllr Kevin O’Keeffe, polled badly in the village at the recent local elections.

“Of course the people of Rathcormac will support their local man,” she continued, referring to newly elected Fine Gael Cllr Pa O’Driscoll - a Rathcormac native - “but surely politicians should realise that it’s not a vote against the others.”

Speaking to The Avondhu Deputy O’Keeffe reiterated his belief that there are no votes for his party in Rathcormac."

I think this just about says it all about the sort of politics we do in Ireland, and I include all parties. It is 'self serving' rather than 'people serving'.Is it any wonder we're in the bind we're in? Does anyone think it will be any different, if we rearrange the deck chairs in Kildare St? We're still going to go down, unless we realise that a completely new beginning is what is required, a return to 'first principles' if you like.

Craven greed, self service, mé féinism, putting a will to power before a basic understanding of power; seen as service to our fellow citizen, subject to reason, and limited by basic human rights, can only ensure the ultimate prolonging of our problems.

The old self serving, dynastic, nepotistic guard has to be changed!

Do I have any hope that this will happen? Of course I do, it has to happen and it will happen! The alternatives are unthinkable, and I for one don't see the 'light' at the end of the tunnel as an oncoming train.

Yes, it probably will be forced upon us by the inevitable consequences of our bad choices to date, and I am not going to apportion individual blame in this regard here.
Why all parties? Once again this is about Fianna Fail. Calley was also Fianna Fail. Every example of corruption with expenses has been Fianna Fail. Your example above is also Fianna Fail. Do you notice a pattern?

By putting it on to everyone as you do, you only serve to help Fianna Fail. That's what they want. That's the argument they've been using on this for years - "We know we're corrupt, but sure they're all the same so vote for us" and many people do use that nonsense to justify a vote for Fianna Fail.

On a similar note that example above is absolutely appalling and says so much about Fianna Fail and what they have always been about. It's like something you'd expect to see in Zimbabwe.

Rocky

Full credit to the Daily Mail on this as well. They really are the sole part of the media in this country that does any investigation journalism. Everyone else just basically comments on and reprints press releases.

Radix

Why all parties? Once again this is about Fianna Fail. Calley was also Fianna Fail. Every example of corruption with expenses has been Fianna Fail. Your example above is also Fianna Fail. Do you notice a pattern?

By putting it on to everyone as you do, you only serve to help Fianna Fail. That's what they want. That's the argument they've been using on this for years - "We know we're corrupt, but sure they're all the same so vote for us" and many people do use that nonsense to justify a vote for Fianna Fail.

On a similar note that example above is absolutely appalling and says so much about Fianna Fail and what they have always been about. It's like something you'd expect to see in Zimbabwe.
Thanks for the reply Rocky. The reason I include all parties, is quite frankly to do with human nature. In earlier posts I said that when the Brendan Smyth case emerged, I wondered would there be others? There were of course, and Brendan Smyth wasn't a Fianna Fail politician. When the Michael Lynn case emerged, I again wondered, were there others? Again, of course there were. Similarly with Ivor the Tank Engine and then there emerged one PJ Sheehan.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make here is, that of the, "let he who has not sinned, cast the first stone" parable.

I can tell you that other parties are not exactly covered in glory either. The will to power and the will to greed are equally represented by both Fianna Fail members as they are by Fine Gael members.

If you want to say, that Fine Gael for example, doesn't have Lynn or Ivor figures, then you are inviting an onslaught on that party, which I'd like to think most people should be able to consider supporting, in the next election as an alternative to the values challenged, nepotistic order that is preceding them.

Currently, I for one, remain to be convinced that the politics of 'cute hoorism' alluded to by Lucinda Creighton and given voice to by Garrett Fitzgerald and Fergus Finlay, will be made a thing of the past by Fine Gael. There is too much bad history available.

Also there is much talk about the need to embrace 'consensus'. I think that deep down, you know that we didn't arrive at the abyss we now see, without consensus from all parties. The vested interests on all sides were quite happy to make the quick bucks during the 'Tiger' years. 'Social partnership' was a by-word for 'don't rock the boat', aren't we all doin grand? Don't tell me that Fine Gael is now discovering a 'conscience'.

County Councils controlled by Fine Gael were very exuberant in their blowing even further the property bubble through the planning process. There were many press releases during the tiger years from Fine Gael press officers decrying the lack of uptake on monies made available to the HSE in different regional areas for example. Now we are saying that too much money was made available!

Anyway, I'm sure we'll chat again before the next election.

Barnacle

From today's Mail on Sunday.

Cowardly Dáil leaders won't call for probe in to FF TD's phone Claims

The Opposition leaders have refused to call for an investigation into veteran Fianna Fáil TD Ned O'Keeffe mobile phone claims - despite confirmation by Revenue that the invoices used are not legitimate.

Neither Eamon Gilmore nor Enda Kenny - who both aspire to be the next taoiseach - was prepared to ask the Dáil watchdog to investigate claims. Their refusal to do so is likely to be seen by voters as a sign they cannot be trusted to maintain high ethical standards in the Oireachtas should be reach elected office. A charge of hypocrisy could be made against Mr Gilmore, who brought down ceann comhairle John O'Donaghue after telling the Dáil he has to stand up for the public when taxpayers money was being wasted.

A spokesman for the Labour leader told the MoS "the first thing that should be done is Deputy O'Keeffe should make a detailed statement responding to the serious allegations made".
Nothing in the article to say that they have called for such a statement to be made.

Why can't the normal rules that apply the rest of us apply to these TD's. If this was you or me, and the Revenue found this, we would be hit for a tax bill plus interest and penalties. For falsifying invoices, we would also be in breach of Company Law as we would not be keeping proper books and records. None of these TD's seem to be under investigation by the Revenue. Where bogus invoices are found, the Revenue would then investigate the source of these invoices. But if you are a TD's you are protected, and would appear to be allowed to fleece the state by submitting bogus invoices and underpayment of tax. The same would apply for all expenses. Let the "Wholly, Exclusively and Necessarily" rule apply to everyone.

Both Enda and Eamon should stand up now and explain how they are going to tackle this and also state exactly how the regime would change under their leadership. Give us details of the rules and regulations they propose to stamp out the abuse of the expenses gravy train. Let us see are there any loophole, we are paying for this afterall.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies