More than 1000 children contact Childline on Christmas day

L'Chaim

CHILDLINE got 1,040 contacts from children across Ireland on Christmas Day, the ISPCC has said, with alcohol abuse in the home one of themes rased.

For most children, Christmas is a time to have fun and spend time with family. But for too many children across Ireland, being home at Christmas, is not a place of safety, warmth and happiness. It’s a place of fear, loneliness, pain and neglect.
More than 1,000 children contact Childline on Christmas Day with alcohol abuse at home among issues - Independent.ie

This is a huge amount of children calling a help line on the one day of the year when children should be happiest. I'm wondering do neighbours know when children living next to them are in danger from domestic abuse? I'm sure I'd report suspected abuse if I thought a neighbour's child was being harmed. I'd even report if I heard the father/mother shouting at the child, I think. Mind you, it's never happened whereby I suspected a neighbour's child was being abused, so I don't actually know how I'd react if I suspected anything. How far should we go in reporting suspected child abuse? Is there a point where it goes from reprimanding a child to abusing a child?

redhead

CHILDLINE got 1,040 contacts from children across Ireland on Christmas Day, the ISPCC has said, with alcohol abuse in the home one of themes rased.

For most children, Christmas is a time to have fun and spend time with family. But for too many children across Ireland, being home at Christmas, is not a place of safety, warmth and happiness. It’s a place of fear, loneliness, pain and neglect.
More than 1,000 children contact Childline on Christmas Day with alcohol abuse at home among issues - Independent.ie

This is a huge amount of children calling a help line on the one day of the year when children should be happiest. I'm wondering do neighbours know when children living next to them are in danger from domestic abuse? I'm sure I'd report suspected abuse if I thought a neighbour's child was being harmed. I'd even report if I heard the father/mother shouting at the child, I think. Mind you, it's never happened whereby I suspected a neighbour's child was being abused, so I don't actually know how I'd react if I suspected anything. How far should we go in reporting suspected child abuse? Is there a point where it goes from reprimanding a child to abusing a child?
Abuse for children comes in many forms. They may not be physically harmed and be fed and clothed and sheltered but can be subject to onerous and unnecessary criticism, emotional abuse and neglect, controlling behaviour or simply a lack of encouragement.

In a lot of cases, particularly where alcohol is the issue, they may be loved and well taken care of for a lot of the time but still be subjected to the whims and unpredictable behaviour of a parent that is simply out of control.

More often than not, it's one parent that is the problem, the other is either subject to the same behaviour or desperate to hide it because they feel embarassed or ashamed. That said, children, young children in particular, if given the choice would most of the time stay with the abusive parent because it's their family. It is a very difficult situation to intervene in.

GDPR

No doubt this thread comes from L'Chaim's rabid hatred of anything Catholic however the thing is that Christmas is effectively no longer something Catholic with people stuffing their mouths with meat and alcohol in Advent when they should be fasting. It has become a celebration of mawkish sentimentality and beer rather than the Birth of Our Lord. Given that with people desperate to have a "perfect Christmas" that they presume that everyone else is having combined with drunkenness it is going to follow that there is much more likely to be fights within families on this day.

fat finger

To be believable, that figure would need to be proven. Once proven, the discussion could continue.

L'Chaim

No doubt this thread comes from L'Chaim's rabid hatred of anything Catholic however the thing is that Christmas is effectively no longer something Catholic with people stuffing their mouths with meat and alcohol in Advent when they should be fasting. It has become a celebration of mawkish sentimentality and beer rather than the Birth of Our Lord. Given that with people desperate to have a "perfect Christmas" that they presume that everyone else is having combined with drunkenness it is going to follow that there is much more likely to be fights within families on this day.
You really are deranged. You make up these things in your head and you run with them. Where do you get this idea of yours that "No doubt this thread comes from L'Chaim's rabid hatred of anything Catholic"?

General Urko

The 'I'm ringing Childline' threat was frequently used by my insane niece against her mother on several occasions. She is now 19, has had 3 psychiatric admissions that I know of, has tried to choke her jockey in front of independent witnesses, tried to push her mother down the stairs, threatened me with a scooter, refers to her grandmother (my mother0 as a fúcking cúnt directly, has also in other ways severely assaulted my sister!
Her only really saving graces are that despite having severe astmha, she took up smoking at 18 and licks her 2 cats, so hopefully she won't be around to long!petunia

realistic1

I always wonder about these figures and how come we dont hear of follow ups, e.g. arrests, children removed etc? I am not saying that there is not abuse, but are these headlines more about fundraising than children?

GDPR

You really are deranged. You make up these things in your head and you run with them. Where do you get this idea of yours that "No doubt this thread comes from L'Chaim's rabid hatred of anything Catholic"?
Oh come now, you really think that no one can see through you and that this thread was not intended as a sly dig at Christmas as part of this campaign?

[video=youtube;taW6m-4sEyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taW6m-4sEyA[/video]

[video=youtube;MBNtLLU9dV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNtLLU9dV8[/video]

[video=youtube;RLuBCd1MEAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLuBCd1MEAQ[/video]

gijoe

Didn't get the Pony they wanted?

silverharp

To be believable, that figure would need to be proven. Once proven, the discussion could continue.
you can make a few assumptions. Firstly there are about a million kids in Ireland, so one in a thousand rang the line. A couple of the reasons given were loneliness or loss, nothing wrong with that children can lose a parent sibling etc. and they just wanted someone to listen to them also lets assume they got a few silly calls because the kid got the wrong present. In reality the got a couple of hundred calls where there was alcohol related behaviour that spoiled the kids day
Now the discussion can continue? for example how many kids had a especially rotten day didnt call? how many kids in Ireland have an alcoholic parent that cant control themselves at home around the kids?

Felixness

Successive governments have failed Irish children. It's not uncommon for criminals, particularly alcoholics/drug addicts, to use being the sole ''carer'' for their children as mitigating circumstances to avoid a prison sentence for their crimes. Frankly, no child should be left in the care of an addict. Child Services are all but useless and there aren't enough Social Workers. Despite this, our minister for Justice and our minister for Children have just returned from scouring Europe for ''child'' migrants to bring over, so all vulnerable Irish children can wait until the 300+ migrant ''children'' have been helped first.

blokesbloke

What are you drivelling on about now?

He didn't mention Catholicism, he just said lots of Irish kids rang a helpline - I am sure many were from Catholic homes, being Ireland, and I am sure many weren't.

You are being paranoid.

Cdebru

A bit of perspective 1040 contacts may not be 1040 individuals, also it reveals nothing about why they made contact undoubtedly some would have been serious issues of abuse, and likely some were frivolous matters that although important to the child would not be abuse, like they didn't get the playstation 4 or the new iphone,

It's a slow news day childline are just taking the opportunity to grab a bit of headlines whilst nothing else is happening, have to keep the money coming in to pay the CEO the €115,000 a year, business is business.

Cdebru

The 'I'm ringing Childline' threat was frequently used by my insane niece against her mother on several occasions. She is now 19, has had 3 psychiatric admissions that I know of, has tried to choke her jockey in front of independent witnesses, tried to push her mother down the stairs, threatened me with a scooter, refers to her grandmother (my mother0 as a fúcking cúnt directly, has also in other ways severely assaulted my sister!
Her only really saving graces are that despite having severe astmha, she took up smoking at 18 and licks her 2 cats, so hopefully she won't be around to long!petunia

She tried to choke her Jockey ? what is she a horse ? Was the Scooter loaded at the time ?

midlander12

Successive governments have failed Irish children. It's not uncommon for criminals, particularly alcoholics/drug addicts, to use being the sole ''carer'' for their children as mitigating circumstances to avoid a prison sentence for their crimes. Frankly, no child should be left in the care of an addict. Child Services are all but useless and there aren't enough Social Workers. Despite this, our minister for Justice and our minister for Children have just returned from scouring Europe for ''child'' migrants to bring over, so all vulnerable Irish children can wait until the 300+ migrant ''children'' have been helped first.
I have to agree and I also think this is a fund-raising stunt by Childline (a lot of competition in the charity industry these days). Am personally aware of 1 case where a child was born addicted to heroin and was immediately released to the care of his junkie parents. He's about 10 now and you can imagine what he (and they) are like now. The phrase 'parental responsibility' simply doesn't come up in this country - everything is the fault of 'society' i.e. the taxpayer who has to foot the bill. You only have to listen to the coverage of homelessness on RTE - never once are the reasons behind it queried, although from listening to the interviewees it is obvious that 80-90% of them have addiction issues.

stopdoingstuff

A certain Irish language poet may have called up because he thought it was a delivery service.

petaljam

Interesting to see the old "ignore any unpleasantness and it will go away" reflex kicking in for some. Presumably Childline, or at least anyone they pass the contact onto after, will be able to filter out the hoax calls and the "insane nieces" (what made her insane in the first place?) from the genuine calls. So while of course they are probably using a "shock" figure in order to get attention to their cause, it doesn't mean there aren't a worrying number of children who are being put at risk by alcohol and other addictions. Why is rubbishing this fact the most important thing for some people?

realistic1

Interesting to see the old "ignore any unpleasantness and it will go away" reflex kicking in for some. Presumably Childline, or at least anyone they pass the contact onto after, will be able to filter out the hoax calls and the "insane nieces" (what made her insane in the first place?) from the genuine calls. So while of course they are probably using a "shock" figure in order to get attention to their cause, it doesn't mean there aren't a worrying number of children who are being put at risk by alcohol and other addictions. Why is rubbishing this fact the most important thing for some people?
Loss of credibility in the Charity sector may automatically lead to people "rubbishing" these reports, simple as!

petaljam

Loss of credibility in the Charity sector may automatically lead to people "rubbishing" these reports, simple as!
That would be a good point if we didn't have such a long tradition of disbelieving abused children.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies