More Than Just a Game - football 2019/2020

wombat

Would not agree, anyone who knows anything about soccer knows how far back the club has gone back since Alex retired. But can see signs of big improvements since Feb. before the lockdown, with the emergence of Greenwood and the arival of Fernandes, that since the resumtion they would be top of the table.
If they want to win the league, they will have to catch Liverpool and especially City - that's the gap that has to be closed

Round tower

If they want to win the league, they will have to catch Liverpool and especially City - that's the gap that has to be closed
Well that is pretty obvious and it shows the gap at the end of the season just finished thaat Utd. was closer points wise to Bournemout relegated to Pool champions

Liverpool 99
Man. U 66
Bournemouth 34

Betson

I see Utd are intent on shelling out another 100M or so on this Jadon Sancho chap from Dortmund,, he is an English lad who used to be in the Man City youth system.

I would be very weary if I were them , the list of lads who tore it up with Dortmund and looked the next big thing only to flop or semi flop in one of the bigger leagues is long enough.

Although there have been a couple of notable exceptions such as Lewandowski(who stayed in Germany) and a few more.

But looking at how Utd have squandered money(approx. 600M) post Fergie the likelihood is that this lad is not worth a fraction of the money they will pay for him. Dortmund have seen them coming a mile away

There is a young American chap playing for Chelsea who also came off the Dortmund conveyer belt , he looks a very decent player.

He scored Chelsea's goal in the FA cup final today , not a bad match , 1 - 1 at HT.

toughbutfair

Funny to see Ashley Cole (England's best player in last 30 years) who is a member of the Arsenal invencibles lack of celebration when Arsenal equalised. Ian Wright was going nuts!

Round tower

I see Utd are intent on shelling out another 100M or so on this Jadon Sancho chap from Dortmund,, he is an English lad who used to be in the Man City youth system.

I would be very weary if I were them , the list of lads who tore it up with Dortmund and looked the next big thing only to flop or semi flop in one of the bigger leagues is long enough.

Although there have been a couple of notable exceptions such as Lewandowski(who stayed in Germany) and a few more.

But looking at how Utd have squandered money(approx. 600M) post Fergie the likelihood is that this lad is not worth a fraction of the money they will pay for him. Dortmund have seen them coming a mile away

There is a young American chap playing for Chelsea who also came off the Dortmund conveyer belt , he looks a very decent player.

He scored Chelsea's goal in the FA cup final today , not a bad match , 1 - 1 at HT.
It looks it's 80m + depending on different things, he is yound and has progressed greatly for Dortmund, playing 78, scoring 30 goals in 3 seasons, with a lot of assists as well.
He has being very good since the return of football scoring some important goals.

toughbutfair

It looks it's 80m + depending on different things, he is yound and has progressed greatly for Dortmund, playing 78, scoring 30 goals in 3 seasons, with a lot of assists as well.
Man utd is a money making machine. They have the best marketing. On the pitch they've always been third rate with just 3 victories of the big one in their history while Real Madrid have 13.

Betson

Funny to see Ashley Cole (England's best player in last 30 years) who is a member of the Arsenal invencibles lack of celebration when Arsenal equalised. Ian Wright was going nuts!
Cole would see himself as more Chelsea than Arsenal these days , I think he currently coaches one of the youth teams at Chelsea.

wombat

Cole would see himself as more Chelsea than Arsenal these days , I think he currently coaches one of the youth teams at Chelsea.
Yes, he's pretty much Chelsea now. Thought it was a good game, Arsenal won with the help of the ref, I'm prejudiced, I think Kovacic is a great player in the mould of Keane and Davids.

redneck

A fairly straighforward win for Arsenal today. They have the makings of a good team there. Chelsea a little unlucky. Peno for Arsenal was foul outside of the box imho. I don'think ref Anthony Taylor will do any more Chelsea games though.
Arsenal, if they keep Obamyang, will have a good team next year. And will challenge Liverpool and Man city.
Chelsea have some problems. I wonder how long Frank Lampard will last if CFC start to struggle.

wombat

Arsenal, if they keep Obamyang, will have a good team next year. And will challenge Liverpool and Man city.
Chelsea have some problems. I wonder how long Frank Lampard will last if CFC start to struggle.
The league doesn't lie. If Chelsea are 100m behind Liverpool & City, Arsenal are a marathon behind. Too much focus is placed on a top 4 finish as if its an achievement. Chelsea know their weaknesses and can fix them by spending cash. Arsenal have at least 2 seasons of rebuilding without owners willing to splash the cash.

toughbutfair

A fairly straighforward win for Arsenal today. They have the makings of a good team there. Chelsea a little unlucky. Peno for Arsenal was foul outside of the box imho. I don'think ref Anthony Taylor will do any more Chelsea games though.
Aubeymang is class but is 31 , you cannot rebuild around a player that age. Arsenal are a mile behind LFC and City, beating them in one off games doesn’t disprove this.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The league doesn't lie. If Chelsea are 100m behind Liverpool & City, Arsenal are a marathon behind. Too much focus is placed on a top 4 finish as if its an achievement. Chelsea know their weaknesses and can fix them by spending cash. Arsenal have at least 2 seasons of rebuilding without owners willing to splash the cash.
If Liverpool is to win the league next year, it will need to get 90+ points for a third season running. Even City has never managed that. City has to be favourites for next season. Add in the lack of home crowd support, and it could be a very odd year.

Round tower

The foul for the penalty started outside the box but continued inside the area, in some instanes it would be given outside the box other cases it would be given as a penalty

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Not very nice to lose a Cup Final but Arsenal deserved it. I thought Chelsea would stroll this one. I'm happy enough with what I see from Frank Lampard in trying to adjust tactics and formation.

I still don't see Arsenal as challengers whereas I do with Chelsea. I suspect Arteta will end up leaving Arsenal complaining about a lack of ambition in the end. I can be quite pragmatic about the game yesterday as I'm reasonably certain on average that Chelsea will usually reach the last four or so. We had 1 Cup Final win for most of my life watching Chelsea and then 8 come along like buses. There are more Cup Finals in that Chelsea team and a lot more besides.

Looks like Willian is finally on the move then, as he didn't feature in the squad at all. Pity as that game was definitely his type of game. Liked Mason Mount and Reece James but the team is too young to be as ruthless as they should be. It is on the way though so I'm not concerned. They'll bounce back.

Probably win 3-4 in Germany next week now :)

wombat

City has to be favourites for next season. Add in the lack of home crowd support, and it could be a very odd year.
Its amazing the difference a great defender makes. We focus on Van Dyke and the effect he has had on Liverpool but we forget the impact that Kompany's loss has had on City. Chelsea lost their best player, an attacker, but still coped better with his loss than their defence.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Its amazing the difference a great defender makes. We focus on Van Dyke and the effect he has had on Liverpool but we forget the impact that Kompany's loss has had on City. Chelsea lost their best player, an attacker, but still coped better with his loss than their defence.
Kompany also won City the league with that long range winner against Leicester in the second last game of the season

Betson

He has being very good since the return of football scoring some important goals.

He is not worth near what they will end up paying for him , he also seems to have a poor disciplinary record with many run ins with the Dortmund coaching staff resulting in him been dropped a few times.

Can see this kind of record type transfer going to his head even more.

Utd have far more money than Football sense and end up wasting a lot of that money on under underachievers and duds. I suspect this chap will fall into the underachiever category should the deal go through.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom