• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

More Trouble at SNP mill: Alex Salmond accused of lying over EU legal advice

factual

BBC News - Scottish independence: Salmond denies lying over EU advice

Did Alex mislead or lie in explaining whether he sought legal advice on Scotland's position in the European Union?

As the BBC report points out: Andrew Neil asked Alex Salmond in March if he "sought advice from your own law officers" on the matter of Scotland's future in Europe.

Mr Salmond replied that "we have, yes, in terms of the debate" and said the advice can be read "in the documents that we have put forward which argue the position that we would be a successor state".

To most people this sounds like legal advice had been sought but in fact no such advice has been sought.

This comes shortly after two MSPs have resigned, slashing the First Minister's majority to one.

Comment: A bad week for the previously unflappable Salmond.

Last edited:

edifice.

Did Alex mislead or lie in explaining whether he received legal advice on Scotland's position in the European Union?

As the BBC report points out: Andrew Neil asked Alex Salmond in March if he "sought advice from your own law officers" on the matter of Scotland's future in Europe.

Mr Salmond replied that "we have, yes, in terms of the debate" and said the advice can be read "in the documents that we have put forward which argue the position that we would be a successor state".

To most people this sounds like legal advice had been received but in fact no such advice has been received.

This comes shortly after two MSPs have resigned, slashing the First Minister's majority to one.

Andrew Neil eh? What would Mary Lou think?

eyelight

There was a documentary on BBC the other night about Donald Trump destroying part of Scotland for yet another golf course, and Salmond didn't come out looking too good.

Rocky

This is obviously a critical issue for Scottish Indpendence and unprecedent. Never before has a part of a EU state broken away. Do they have to apply as a new state and go through all that process or are they instantly a member? I don't know if there's anything in the Treaties on it either. I've never seen anything on it.

edifice.

There was a documentary on BBC the other night about Donald Trump destroying part of Scotland for yet another golf course, and Salmond didn't come out looking too good.
Did you expect the BBC to portray Salmond in any other light?

Spanner Island

This is obviously a critical issue for Scottish Indpendence and unprecedent. Never before has a part of a EU state broken away. Do they have to apply as a new state and go through all that process or are they instantly a member? I don't know if there's anything in the Treaties on it either. I've never seen anything on it.
In fairness I suspect Scotland would meet all the necessary criteria to be members and would automatically remain in the EU unless they wanted out...

On her own however, Scotland would be in deep sh!t if she had to fully fund RBS...

And when North Sea oil and gas run out she's gonna be struggling...

Salmond is a gobsh!te imo... a bit like Gerry Adams...

Obsessed with independence at any cost without any real plan or vision for afterwards...

I doubt most intelligent Scots are going to risk handing over their country to him and his ilk... which is why he's having to resort to 16 and 17 year olds...

Rocky

In fairness I suspect Scotland would meet all the necessary criteria to be members and would automatically remain in the EU unless they wanted out...
I'd imagine so as well and obviously they wouldn't want out. However it might not be that simple legally, although at that I imagine laws would be bent if needed be.

Spanner Island

Is it just me or does anyone else find Nicola Sturgeon even more irritating than Salmond?

She first triggered my irritation radar when Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was released, a period during which Sturgeon was rarely away from the media...

And she's continued to trigger my irritation radar ever since...

Can't stand her really...

SilverSpurs

Did Alex mislead or lie in explaining whether he sought legal advice on Scotland's position in the European Union?

To most people this sounds like legal advice had been sought but in fact no such advice has been sought.

Interestingly scottish thinktank the democratic alliance has argued that Scotland would be better off in EFTA operating the EEA agreement rather than being EU members. However Salmonds social democrat agenda would have to be externally funded as it is not economicially sustainable.
The other side are also guilty of scaremongering about Scotland being forced to join the euro and schengen. These opt-outs would be part of Scotlands terms of engagement.

Scottish Democratic Alliance - Scotland in Europe

TheLastLazyGun

An independent Scotland would be outside the EU and they would have to apply to join should they be daft enough to want to.

Once back in the EU Scotland will then have to join the euro, even though most Scots are against joining it.

jdaly

Is it just me or does anyone else find Nicola Sturgeon even more irritating than Salmond?

She first triggered my irritation radar when Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was released, a period during which Sturgeon was rarely away from the media...

She's not exactly a household name. Who is she?

Analyzer

Agreed. Watch this clip of her ridiculed.

[video=youtube;TFlgXK6fQko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFlgXK6fQko[/video]

The SNP are an upmarket version of the SLP (Scottish Labour Party). Better PR, and less dependent on the welfare sink estates that the SLP must preserve, in order to preserve their political power in the UK as a whole.

The SLP promises welfare, the SNP promises hope.

Of course, it is highly possible that both are frauds. One thing is certain - neither will bring Scotland back to it's past glories. They are both too dishonest, lazy, and incompetent when compared to previous eras of Scottish achievement, to cause that to happen.

Scotland needs better and newer political options.

Same as Ireland really in that requirement.

Last edited:

Ren84

It's just you.

And for all that is good in the world, Factual, will you PLEASE stop with this 'Trouble at [insert political party] mill' routine? Jesus fecking Chroist!!! :roll: :roll:

Ex celt

Independence for Scotland is a non-runner and the SNP now knows it.
It is interesting that the SNP never thought to link up with Jarry and the rest of the IRA/SF gang bearing in mind that both parties are running independence campaigns on these islands.Clearly,like the rest of the civilized world,the SNP is repelled by the IRA/SF toxicity.Only on both parts of this island do people doff their hats to IRA/SF in the hope that they will not resume the murder campaign etc.Says a lot about us.