More trouble for the Garda : this time it's racist bullying.

former wesleyan

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-on-sick-leave-due-to-persistent-bullying-harassment-and-racial-torment-launches-court-challenge-815008.html

He has been stationed at Dun Laoghaire and Shankill Garda Stations, where his Counsel Mark Harty SC told the High Court today that Garda Goa has been allegedly subjected to "prolonged and persistent bullying, harassment and racial torment."

Counsel said GardaGao brought these incidents to the attention of his superiors, and had spoken with a welfare officer within An Garda Siochana. When his colleagues learned of this meeting, Garda Gao was allegedly branded ’a rat ’and the alleged mistreatment intensified, the court heard.

Garda Gao was allegedly avoided, shunned and isolated by other Gardai who refused to communicate in a courteous, professional and respectful manner.

In addition Garda Gao’s religious beliefs ethnic background and personal and family values were allegedly ridiculed by a number of his colleagues.
Workplace banter or genuine racism ?

dizillusioned

RetiredProvo

Interesting that this does not appear to be an issue in the Defense Forces, especially as they appear to have a number of ethnic minority personnel in their ranks. All the more interesting when certain foreign states send their officer cadets to the Curragh for officer training instead of Sandhurst.
Maybe it is down to simple caliber of personality that joins the GS vs DF.

Expose the lot of them

Banter is a few jokes about Mao or horizontal vaginas. This smells like a lot like bullying and harassment.
Reading the article the main issue seems to be the sick pay. I will reserve judgement on this until I learn more, I get a feeling that there is a lot more to be revealed.

silverharp

he seems to know his way around a Spar deli

ellie08

The guards are not trained properly and the requirements that they have foundation level subjects in their leaving cert just shows the type they are looking for - they have little knowledge of the most common laws, and many should not be in such a position of power.

toughbutfair

No nothing about this case but would like to see more black and Asian gardaí so minorities feel included.

gijoe

Maybe it is down to simple caliber of personality that joins the GS vs DF.
Alan Shatter made that point in a recent interview on Sean O'Rourke. He said that as he was both Justice and Defence Minister he dealt with the brass of both organisations and he said that he thought the military brass were a cut above the Gardai.

gijoe

The guards are not trained properly and the requirements that they have foundation level subjects in their leaving cert just shows the type they are looking for - they have little knowledge of the most common laws, and many should not be in such a position of power.
In my one and only experience with dealing with Gardai in a Public Order matter it was clear that the Guard did not have a balls notion of the law - as was proven later in Court.

Hillmanhunter1

ThatsReasonable

Having known a good few guards over the years I get the real impression that it is a very toxic work environment. The number of complaints/investigations that they instigate against eachother is scary.

I have a theory as to why this is.

Gardai (rank and file) are badly paid in my opinion. The only way to get to a decent standard of living is to get promotions. They fight like cornered rats for these promotions. They're willing to do anything, legal or otherwise to get to the next level on the pay scale. This explains the false breath tests etc and the way they quite mercilessly bully eachother in stations around the country.

New Threads

Most Replies