More university madness - sex offender allowed to finish university course before serving jail time

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
We've seen repeatedly that universitites worldwide are bastions of stupidity these days, with endless feel-good policies that sound good to those that come up with them, but make no sense when it comes to applying them.

This one takes the biscuit in my view - "A student convicted of sexually exploiting a 13-year-old could return to campus after a judge delayed his sentence so he could finish college".

The reason/excuse given by the university is that their policies do not apply to activity that occurred before the person was a member of the university community. Thus if you did your sex-offending before you went to the university you're OK - the university only considers any sex-offending that you did after you enrolled with the university as requiring action.

What do we think? Is this another example of a feel-good policy having been enacted by the university that wasn't well thought through when drafted? So that when a foreseeable practical case comes up and the policy is applied it is found to be wanting.

My view is that universitites that are caught in such situations are quick to point to the content of their policies, even if that means going 180 degress against the supposed objectives of their policies. They prefer form over substance.

Thus the objective of protecting (female) students against potential sexual assault (the substance of the issue) is dismissed, and instead the content of the policy (the form) is immediately invoked by the university administration.

A lot of people have quite rightly demanded that the sex offender be expelled immediately. The university though has not expelled the sex offender, and has instead advised him to stay way from the university campus.

Sex offender's sentence delayed so he can finish university - BBC News

"A student convicted of sexually exploiting a 13-year-old could return to campus after a judge delayed his sentence so he could finish college.

More than 40,000 people have signed an online petition calling on the University of Calgary, in Alberta, Canada, to expel Connor Neurauter, 21."

Travis Bickle

It depends on who you are. I remember that lad got kicked to death out side the Burlington, but one of the culprits was allowed complete his degree.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
It depends on who you are. I remember that lad got kicked to death out side the Burlington, but one of the culprits was allowed complete his degree.
You think he's getting preferential treatment because of his involvement in ice hockey?

Spirit Of Newgrange

Prisons are very strong on distance learning courses. They get in through the letterbox.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
How is this an international news story, FFS?
I think that it is being covered in that way as an example of the idiot thinking that pervades the administration of many universities these days.

Perhaps some of these universitites will eventually be shamed into doing something sensible.

The university in this case though doesn't seem to be learning anything. They are not preparing for the next such incident by amending their policies. Instead they are sticking to their internal timetable and are choosing not to revisit the related policies for another 2 years.

The policy is not fit for use, yet they are falling back on an administrative detail to justify doing nothing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3961729/university-of-calgary-sex-offender-neurauter/

During a Friday conference call about the decision, University of Calgary provost Dru Marshall said they won’t be reviewing the facility’s current sexual violence policy, which was approved for another two years in June 2017.

“We spent considerable time developing that policy with considerable student involvement in particular. We agreed when we approved that policy that we would assess it two years down the road and we will stick to that timeline.”

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
The parents are certainly in denial.

I do indeed remember when I was 18. I don't recall it being a challenge to remember not to sexually interfere with 13 year old girls.

And the parents blame the female?

"In a statement to Global News, Neurauter’s parents defended their son.

“Most of us remember being 18 and the challenges that were involved,” Chris and Susan Neurauter said. “This has been a nightmare for our family, one that none of us, but particularly our children, are equipped to handle. We would not wish this situation on anyone, not even the woman responsible.

The_SR

Why are you blaming the university? Judges call.

The_SR

And he is now a stockbroker iirc. Not sure how the university are at fault here.

TomBreen

89 days and I'm assuming a quarter off for good behaviour, Choking the victim, 3 years to come to court. I'm sure the now 16 year old has put it all behind her and looking forward to having healthy relationships safe in the knowledge that if anyone abuses her they have the punitive sentence of 3 months to look forward to at the time of their choosing. Its wrong at so many levels if even the half of this is true.

Congalltee

I find it hard to get outraged by a policy of a university I’ve never heard of, in a country I’ve never visited with a legal system with which I’m not familiar.

How do you folks manage it?

TomBreen

I find it hard to get outraged by a policy of a university I’ve never heard of, in a country I’ve never visited with a legal system with which I’m not familiar.

How do you folks manage it?
Because this stuff creeps across the Atlantic.

General Urko

I would reckon in some universities students get expelled/rusticated for giving another student a clatter! Indeed, AFAIK, Eammon McCann got rusticated from Queens because he was caught in possession of a joint!
But yet this bucko is let stay on!

Sync

I don't see how you could realistically expel someone for something they did before they were in college, which doesn't pose a risk to the student body and who the court has deemed appropriate to finish their courses.

If the court had imprisoned him and he couldn't complete his course, THEN you expel him.

Popular Threads

Most Replies