• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Most people in RoI condemn Belfast flags decision: Poll

Iphonista

You will be aware, I'm sure of the recent ructions in Belfast over the decision to fly the Union Jack over Belfast City Hall on only a few days per year.

Some of those opposing the decision were planning to protest in Dublin on Saturday. The protest has been postponed but if today's Paddy Power poll is anything to go by, they'd be preaching to the converted! Over half of those surveyed, 57pc, felt Belfast city council was wrong to restrict the flying of the Union flag at Belfast city hall!

57% in RoI oppose Belfast flag decision

corporal punishment

Not bothered too much about it, but it does seem stupid tp restrict the flying of a flag, knowing full well what the consequences we're going to be. Surely BCC have more important things to be getting on with.

Ulster-Lad

So why another thread on this?

bm42

I think it was a cynical decision that got exactly the kind of response that should have been expected. This poll probably reflects the fact that most people would think similarly rather than there being some kind of west brit majority.
It's right up there with loyalists marching through nationalist areas acting surprised and dismayed when the locals get upset.

Iphonista

I think it was a cynical decision that got exactly the kind of response that should have been expected. This poll probably reflects the fact that most people would think similarly rather than there being some kind of west brit majority.
It's right up there with loyalists marching through nationalist areas acting surprised and dismayed when the locals get upset.
I'm not trying to be picky but this thread isn't about the decision itself. Rather it's about the apparent gap between southerners and NI nationalists.

meriwether

This only tells me one thing.

Paddy power asked this question as part of a general Red C poll, and this Red C poll is the one we are talking about elsewhere.

I think PP commission polls separately to the SB post, so we may have the poll pre-Sunday.

Aindriu

You will be aware, I'm sure of the recent ructions in Belfast over the decision to fly the Union Jack over Belfast City Hall on only a few days per year.

Some of those opposing the decision were planning to protest in Dublin on Saturday. The protest has been postponed but if today's Paddy Power poll is anything to go by, they'd be preaching to the converted! Over half of those surveyed, 57pc, felt Belfast city council was wrong to restrict the flying of the Union flag at Belfast city hall!

57% in RoI oppose Belfast flag decision
Well that shows how ignorant of foreign policies Irish people are then.
Across the entire UK, the Union flag is ONLY flown from the mast had of CERTAIN buildings (town & city halls for example) on CERTAIN days of the year. NOT every day, CERTAIN days. So Belfast City Council have merely voted to bring Belfast into line with all other UK towns and cities.

cillian32

I'm not trying to be picky but this thread isn't about the decision itself. Rather it's about the apparent gap between southerners and NI nationalists.
You dont know there is a gap untill they do a poll in the 6 counties.

Mr. Bumble

Why should the citizens of the ROI have an opinion on this?

Glenshane4

Eire people do not have to endure Prod privilege. Consequently, they tend to be rather tolerant of Prod privilege. It is always easier to endure another person's grievances.

Dublin 4

I wonder if Paddy Power will ever lay odds on whether or not Polls are cooked?

The Poll was cooked to "Keep goodwill in Dublin with the prod's & keep wee Wullie away" 1/10???

The South has actually became West Britain 10/1???

:lol:

Aindriu

Eire people do not have to endure Prod privilege. Consequently, they tend to be rather tolerant of Prod privilege. It is always easier to endure another person's grievances.
Oh FFS! Who let you back out of the looney bin? Do the MODS know you are back? :roll:

Lain2016

Not bothered too much about it, but it does seem stupid tp restrict the flying of a flag, knowing full well what the consequences we're going to be. Surely BCC have more important things to be getting on with.
Its a parity of esteem issue...if the UJ is to fly more often so should the irish flag...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies