Motions for debate at 2010 YFG Conference

jacko

the next government to charge the former ministers with economic mismanagement

Questions

1. can a member of the YFG national executive point out the relevant criminal statute ?

2. Since when did the cabinet usurp the roll of the DPP - after all we're not fascists ? are we ?

clontarfblue

the next government to charge the former ministers with economic mismanagement

Questions

1. can a member of the YFG national executive point out the relevant criminal statute ?

2. Since when did the cabinet usurp the roll of the DPP - after all we're not fascists ? are we ?
I agree, but it is a hopeless motion. Badly thought out and populist muck. For the sake of preventing interference in the role of the DPP it has to fail.

lebowskilite

Website
elchle.tumblr.com
10 motions?!?

Labour Youth Conference had 82 last weekend.

edit: 17 motions. 8.5% less surprise.

Rocky

They are pretty crap motions lads.
To be honest I don't think they're bad.

On the non-economic motions 2,4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 are quite good. 3 is just anti-democratic. You either ban all corporate donations or none at all. You can't bring in legalisation that singles out one party.

On the economic ones, leaving aside 3, which is completely unconstitutional, the rest are fairly solid. I may not agree with them all, but a decent argument can be made for them.

Rocky

10 motions?!?

Labour Youth Conference had 82 last weekend.

edit: 17 motions. 8.5% less surprise.
I'd say that gets unbelievably boring. Policy is good and all, but you do need to narrow it down a bit or it just goes on and on. I live on this site debating politics and I know I'd even get very bored.

To the credit of YFG they don't have motions that simply condemn the government or a Minister for whatever reason either because they are completely pointless and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fair few of them in LY's 82.

DeputyEdo

Sure would motion 1 not include half the Dail???? I thought there were a fair few TDs/Ministers getting their pensions while still working away.

Edit: I seem to remember loads of TDs "gifting" their pensions back to the finance dept...but can they not then claim tax back on this "gift"????

lebowskilite

Website
elchle.tumblr.com
I'd say that gets unbelievably boring. Policy is good and all, but you do need to narrow it down a bit or it just goes on and on. I live on this site debating politics and I know I'd even get very bored.

To the credit of YFG they don't have motions that simply condemn the government or a Minister for whatever reason either because they are completely pointless and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fair few of them in LY's 82.
By that logic you should be having two conferences; 1 to decide policy and motions, and a second one to pass the motions. Unless, as I suspect is the case, YFG doesn't actually formulate policy that isn't already part of senior party policy.

LY decides its policy AT conference and that would be why it actually has a wide range of motions, submitted by members from every branch with varying interests and areas of expertise. (note also that the LY chair is elected, not a Senator imposed by the party, so I imagine the process of getting motions to the floor is also a lot more democratic, or rather, open)

As for ice cream motions, there are some at LY conference yes but not many. LY has a culture of debate, discussion and argument on important social issues, and there was certainly a lot of debate, and needless to say there were plenty of motions that fell. One motion criticised a sitting minister, but it also set out a contrary policy in the next line.

GalwayEagle

By that logic you should be having two conferences; 1 to decide policy and motions, and a second one to pass the motions. Unless, as I suspect is the case, YFG doesn't actually formulate policy that isn't already part of senior party policy.

LY decides its policy AT conference and that would be why it actually has a wide range of motions, submitted by members from every branch with varying interests and areas of expertise. (note also that the LY chair is elected, not a Senator imposed by the party, so I imagine the process of getting motions to the floor is also a lot more democratic, or rather, open)

As for ice cream motions, there are some at LY conference yes but not many. LY has a culture of debate, discussion and argument on important social issues, and there was certainly a lot of debate, and needless to say there were plenty of motions that fell. One motion criticised a sitting minister, but it also set out a contrary policy in the next line.

Sorry what are you on about?

Rocky

Sorry what are you on about?
He's getting YFG and Ogra Fianna Fail confused. OFF's leader is imposed by the Senior Party. Obviously in YFG we elect our own President.

Congalltee

With the exeption of the motion on funding for mental health, the motions are evidence that FG is HHS nasty party in politics - the Irish Tories.

CookieMonster

Don't FG get tired of YFG being totally crap?

Congalltee

Here's a few suggested motions:
1. Fine Gael to undertake an examination as to why if is the least successful second-party in Europe, winning just 5 elections in it's history.
2. Any member who is not fully tax compliant must be expelled.
3. The party unreservedly apologises for it's association with fascism in the 30's.
4. In light of the party's less than ethical fundraising practices in the past, all corporate donations to be banned all gifts to politicians worth in excess of €500 (excluding engagement rings) to be banned.
5. All members of a cabinet to experience eight weeks on €196 per week before proposing social welfare cuts.

Tea Party Patriot

Just my commentary on the YFG motions.

Economic Motions:

1. Don’t see where the 100,000 jobs in energy are unless we plan to be a supplier of Nuclear energy to the continent. Current green energy generation methods aren’t cost effective and cost jobs elsewhere. Alternative energy research could generate long term jobs if successful, but is a costly investment to pursue.

2. No relief for mortgage holders in trouble. In total agreement, if you borrow money it should be your responsibility and the risk should not have to be shared with those who chose to be prudent.

3. Prosecuting the current government. A non runner on constitutional grounds as already mentioned.

4. CS Reform. Value for money and delivery of services goes without question as a priority. Making ministers outline clear objectives for the top CS based on a sound principle of assessment would be good, will be tough to define and implement though. Penalties should also apply here for failed delivery.

5. Bankruptcy needs to be reformed, but it would have to be done in a balanced way, one that does not reward reckless trading but that does not penalise genuine business failure due to economic circumstances. Demonising bankrupts in Ireland where you can’t function as a director, solicitor, accountant or barrister as a result of it is anti risk and anti long term job creation. Professional bodies should not be allowed to strike off bankrupt professionals unless it was recommended by the courts, it is kicking people when they are down. Also there should be no grounds in a democracy for baring someone from holding an elected office.

6. Those who have more than one other pension already pay tax on it. Therefore it should remain a taboo to cut the state pension. Personally as someone is very much opposed to high taxes I would be willing to bear a tax increase for the sake of pensioners.

7. This seems quite vague and unspecific. If it relates to government generated costs to business then a decrease in the bureaucracy of regulation and the associated cost is something I have always campaigned for.

Other Motions:

1. Civil Service staff to be replaced if they already have a civil service pension and returned to work in CS. Agreed, but would suggest only essential staff be replaced as well.

2. Scrapping the time requirement for being out of work for returning to college with income support. Don’t agree on this. It would create a culture of going on the dole first for everyone with ambition to do a masters or change career. Nine months is an acceptable period of time, maybe even too short if someone wanted to take a career break before going back to full time education.

3. Why ban Trade Unions from making donations, they are entitled to support whoever they want with their money just like any other entity; and I am saying that as someone who never joined a union. The current format for making donations is acceptable, if parties moved to full Dáil funding how would new parties ever be able to compete and get established? It would be actually undemocratic.

4. An acceptable proposal which might increase road safety.

5. Agreed the Croke Park deal should be scrapped immediately.

6. The Presidency. No it should not be abolished. It has the function of referring bills to the supreme court to test for constitutionality, the power to allow or refuse dissolution of the Dáil, is above party politics, and also provides an office free from the mudslinging of our lower house as national head for all citizens.

7. Mental Health. Yes this is badly in need of reform and in some cases is reminiscent of reading Charles Dickens. I am not familiar with the report though and I would not hold them to a report from the current unreformed CS quangos.

8. Love them or hate them but I do believe that Garda protection should be extended to our former leaders.

9. I think it’s about time RTE sank or swam on its own. It should be privatised. There is no longer a need for a state ran television station. Dividing up state directorships won’t help the situation only prolong its life as a state entity with both government and opposition.

New Threads

Most Replies