Motorists face blitz of new tolls on main roads

Aindriu

Motorists will have to pay a string of new motorway tolls under a plan drawn up for the Government, the Irish Independent can reveal.
The new charges would bring hundreds of thousands of motorists into the tolling 'net' for the first time.
They are part of a raft of measures being recommended to the Government by the National Roads Authority (NRA).
Its pre-Budget report calls for tolls to be imposed on motorways in Galway, Wicklow and Kildare, while motorists in Dublin face the prospect of being forced to pay several tolls on the M50 for the first time.
Full story here.

They can feck off!! We already have one of the highest levels of road tax and fuel tax in Europe! This will crucify hauliers and commuters!:mad:

A view from England

Full story here.

They can feck off!! We already have one of the highest levels of road tax and fuel tax in Europe! This will crucify hauliers and commuters!:mad:
Overall, Ireland is a low tax economy. In order to pay it's debts, the Government needs cash. This idea seems a fair way of raising cash to me. Perhaps you would prefer for child benefit to be scrapped, as we are facing in the UK? Ireland needs to raise taxes and cut costs. This would be one small measure that would help. An alternative could be just to put up fuel, that would then catch all the Westlink dodgers as well.

nonpartyboy

This state has proved incapable of managing the taxes it already collects. The last thing it should be given is further monies. Let it justify all current expenditure first.

joenitka

This state has proved incapable of managing the taxes it already collects. The last thing it should be given is further monies. Let it justify all current expenditure first.
+10000

I also hear the argument when this is brought up... "THis will encourage peopleto use public transport more"... Which is a dreadful service... Expensive commuting fares, over crowded car parks at train stations, areas not linked by public transport etc etc.

ICallely

They don't get it, do they?

How can you have a low cost economy, if all the costs are high?

the_rebubblican

I felt that tolls were a soft touch and would be increased rather than expanded. As the government can point to new motorways recently completed they can tax while pointing to improvement.

However, tolls are costly to run and generally inefficient as a method for revenue raising. The methods used would also not be labour intensive.

Watch out for the Gardaí to up their issuance of penalty points and fines, another easy revenue raising method.

galleyslave

Overall, Ireland is a low tax economy. In order to pay it's debts, the Government needs cash. This idea seems a fair way of raising cash to me. Perhaps you would prefer for child benefit to be scrapped, as we are facing in the UK? Ireland needs to raise taxes and cut costs. This would be one small measure that would help. An alternative could be just to put up fuel, that would then catch all the Westlink dodgers as well.
I can tell you don't live here, and I'm not referring to your handle. Yes, the govt needs cash, but they gouge motorists so much already. If they get their own house in order, stop the dreadful waste in the public sector, use our money wisely and still need more, then come back to me.

As for your straw man of child benefit, that doesn't add up - it's not a one or the other scenario

Aindriu

Overall, Ireland is a low tax economy.
Are we feck as like! You don't pay to see your GP do you? Your road tax rates are far lower than here. Your food prices and clothes prices are far lower and your business rates and rents are far lower too. We also kick in to the higher tax bands at a a lower level than the UK.

Low tax economy my hole!!

EvotingMachine0197

We've paid for the poxy M50 1000 times over.

More flat taxes to hit the lower paid harder ...

Pre Budget submission by group suggests tax rises followed by Pre Budget submission by poverty group argues for more benefits / less cuts.

THIS HAPPENS EVERY YEAR.

locke

Among the key proposals are that the 31km of Dublin's M50 would be divided into sections that would be tolled. That would mean more motorists paying a toll as they would be charged on how much of the road they use.
The Jack Lynch Tunnel in Cork and southern ring road are also earmarked for a charge.
This is absolute genius.

In most countries you are encourages to use the ring roads. You may even have to pay a toll for entering a city.

Here are proposals that encourage people to travel through the cities.

Even in countries with tolls, urban ring roads are almost never tolled. The only city I can think of (other than the Westlink toll in Dublin) that does this is Naples. Says it all really.

A view from England

Are we feck as like! You don't pay to see your GP do you? Your road tax rates are far lower than here. Your food prices and clothes prices are far lower and your business rates and rents are far lower too. We also kick in to the higher tax bands at a a lower level than the UK.

Low tax economy my hole!!
This article is a few years old but helps to demonstrate why you are in such a mess.
Moving to Ireland: Ireland - the lowest tax in the world - Irish Independent
This is more up to date.
Ireland: Taxes Cut, Deregulated and Broke « Alexandria
A view on CT.
Realtime: Some Unpleasant Irish Dynamics
And finally a view from Brendan Keenan.
PAYE: we are paying least tax in the world - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
Now, I agree with you on the food though I have seen a narrowing on prices recently. Petrol is more expensive in the UK though car taxes are lower. But you have to look holistically at this and Ireland has been and still is a low tax economy.
Apologies for this being a bit cut and paste based.

galleyslave

if they'd only announced this a fortnight ago I could have gone to ballinasloe and made a killing!

markeys

Why is this such a surprise? There will be a whole load more taxes that make little sense until you realize everything that the FF/Greens do is taken in the context that the little people must pay for the mistakes of their buddies. Hence, tolls are perfectly reasonable. You didn't really expect that you'd allow the government to guarantee 100€ bn worth of somebody else's debt and not have to pay extra tax, did you?

Craiced

This is absolute genius.

In most countries you are encouraged to use the ring roads. You may even have to pay a toll for entering a city.

Here are proposals that encourage people to travel through the cities.
+1

The NRA's function has expired. Our motorway network is 90% complete. Yet not one job has been lost in this Quango.

Time to disband the NRA. They are a quango attempting to draw their last breath by creating work for themselves.

Biffomania

Ah yes, Minishther Dempshee of government jet fame and St. Pat's junkets needing to boost revenues to fund his sultan-like lifestyle of entitlement.

A view from England

+1

The NRA's function has expired. Our motorway network is 90% complete. Yet not one job has been lost in this Quango.

Time to disband the NRA. They are a quango attempting to draw their last breath by creating work for themselves.
Are the NRA the bunch who sanctioned billions of Euro for motorway construction but nothing for service stations?

alonso

The NRA is merging with the RPA, accoring to An Bord Snip, and the service stations weren't wanted by those in power

The M50 deal seems perfectly fair to me. The current system is very unreasonable

New Threads