• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mozambique to benefit from largest Irish Aid payout - as cutbacks to Services at Home continue...

Catalpast

No Folks this is not a April Fool story

- though the Political Establishment clearly take us for fools...:?

Up to €623m will this year be donated in overseas aid, including €37.5m – the single biggest pay-out – to help Mozambique get it back on its feet.

The majority of the funding will go through Irish Aid to NGOs and nine developing countries.

We cannot even balance the State's books yet here we are engaged in a €600 MILLION a year Giveaway!:roll:

But with Africa dubbed one of the economies to watch in the next decade, plans are in place to increase trade between Ireland and Mozambique, which is on the cusp of a resource boom.

An estimated 4,000 people work for Irish companies there, including Kenmare Resources which recently posted record profits.

Anyone know who Kenmare Resources are and do they have links to any of the Political Parties here?

Mozambique to benefit from largest Irish Aid payout | Irish Examiner

tigerben

Surely with the billions in Remittance sent to Africa , India and other poorer nations , AID to these countries show be falling year on year? It's like me borrowing money monthly to pay my sister's mortgage , the repayments are mine and affect my income, her income is protected so she doesn't feel the need to go and try and work!

SirTallaghtban

Dont agree with aid to Africa - but this works out at approximately 8 cent per head of population heremin Ireland. We will get kick backs from this. Expect to see kerrygold butter, irish beef and what not on sale in their shopping centres.

Irish National member

it is unbelievable that ireland is still spending between 600 and 700 million per year on foreign aid when we are financially in trouble ourselves. foreign aid should be stopped immediately until such time as we are able to balance our own books, and then and only then should it be even considered. if people want to donate money thats their business but it should not come from our coffers at this time. the kind of money that is spent would go a long way to restoring this country.

Chi019

This is consistent with James Burnham's suggestion that a powerful motivating force in modern liberalism is guilt. Unfortunately, this misplaced guilt will only exacerbate problems in Africa while diverting/stealing funds from Irish workers.

"But it isn't their fault!" Some kind-hearted liberals argue. "How can we blame the poor people who are caught in an emergency? Why must they suffer for the sins of their governments?" The concept of blame is simply not relevant here. The real question is, what are the operational consequences of establishing a world food bank? If it is open to every country every time a need develops, slovenly rulers will not be motivated to take Joseph's advice. Someone will always come to their aid. Some countries will deposit food in the world food bank, and others will withdraw it. There will be almost no overlap. As a result of such solutions to food shortage emergencies, the poor countries will not learn to mend their ways, and will suffer progressively greater emergencies as their populations grow.

On the average poor countries undergo a 2.5 percent increase in population each year; rich countries, about 0.8 percent. Only rich countries have anything in the way of food reserves set aside, and even they do not have as much as they should. Poor countries have none. If poor countries received no food from the outside, the rate of their population growth would be periodically checked by crop failures and famines. But if they can always draw on a world food bank in time of need, their population can continue to grow unchecked, and so will their "need" for aid. In the short run, a world food bank may diminish that need, but in the long run it actually increases the need without limit...

As past U.S. foreign-aid programs have amply and depressingly demonstrated, international charity frequently inspires mistrust and antagonism rather than gratitude on the part of the recipient nation [see "What Other Nations Hear When the Eagle Screams," by Kenneth J. and Mary M. Gergen, PT, June]...

We cannot safely divide the wealth equitably among all peoples so long as people reproduce at different rates. To do so would guarantee that our grandchildren and everyone else's grandchildren, would have only a ruined world to inhabit.
Lifeboat Ethics: the Case Against Helping the Poor by Garrett Hardin - The Garrett Hardin Society - Articles

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
11th highest birth rate in the world and a death rate below that of Estonia. I hope the aid is going towards the long term solution to their problems: family planning.

paulp

11th highest birth rate in the world and a death rate below that of Estonia. I hope the aid is going towards the long term solution to their problems: family planning.
Is that a suggestion that is ignorant of the issues in countries like Mozambique or is it an actual educated post?
I'm assuming the former.

devoutcapitalist

all aid should be ceased immediately and not just by ireland, as kevin myers once said africa has given nothing to the world accept aids.

paulp

all aid should be ceased immediately and not just by ireland, as kevin myers once said africa has given nothing to the world accept aids.
If your aim here is to trigger outrage - it's a pretty weak attempt.
Btw, Kevin Myers did not say that.

devoutcapitalist

If your aim here is to trigger outrage - it's a pretty weak attempt.
Btw, Kevin Myers did not say that.
so what has africa achieved economically in the last 50 years, also do you think western foreign aid handouts have been effective in africa?

Hewson

IF Myers did say that then he's even more intellectually destitute than I'd previusly thought.

The reality is that large swathes of Africa have been victims of European colonisation, exploitation, asset-stripping and resources theft for centuries. Nations, including our nearest neighbour, became obscenely wealthy largely due to the resources it exploited in its overseas colonies. The continent of Africa has remined impoverished because that's what suited the foreign occupiers and exploiters in its various territories.

We're now trying to play catch-up, against endemic corruption there and a wall of indifference here.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Is that a suggestion that is ignorant of the issues in countries like Mozambique or is it an actual educated post?
I'm assuming the former.
Are you now? I am not suggesting Mozambique should not get aid. I am not suggesting that Mozambique's only problem are large families. I am suggesting that not making family planning in a country with not enough food and nearly 50% of the population under the age of 14 a key goal of our aid to the country is not just shortsighted, but immoral. Read Irish Aid plans for Mozambique. Lots of talk of empowerment, and food. None that I can see of controlling a population growth figure that doubles the population every generation and a bit. No country can manage growth of this level. Especially when their infrastructure is already pitifully inadequate.

devoutcapitalist

IF Myers did say that then he's even more intellectually destitute than I'd previusly thought.

The reality is that large swathes of Africa have been victims of European colonisation, exploitation, asset-stripping and resources theft for centuries. Nations, including our nearest neighbour, became obscenely wealthy largely due to the resources it exploited in its overseas colonies. The continent of Africa has remined impoverished because that's what suited the foreign occupiers and exploiters in its various territories.

We're now trying to play catch-up, against endemic corruption there and a wall of indifference here.
lack of democracy, corruption and contempt for the rule of law has also played a major role in africas lack of economic development over the last 50 years, the european imperialists aren't solely to blame, a lot of africas problems are self inflicted.

Crazy horse 6

Surely with the billions in Remittance sent to Africa , India and other poorer nations , AID to these countries show be falling year on year? It's like me borrowing money monthly to pay my sister's mortgage , the repayments are mine and affect my income, her income is protected so she doesn't feel the need to go and try and work!

It shouldnt be falling it should be cut 100%.

Crazy horse 6

lack of democracy, corruption and contempt for the rule of law has also played a major role in africas lack of economic development over the last 50 years, the european imperialists aren't solely to blame, a lot of africas problems are self inflicted.

Thought you where talking about Ireland there for a minute.

D

Dylan2010

its statism gone mad, taking money off me at the point of a gun or borrowing it, whichever way you look at it is reckless and unethical government and its about the same amount of money as the property tax. Charity that is freely given is a superior form of aid. It simply ought not be the government's job to be involved in this.

paulp

Are you now? I am not suggesting Mozambique should not get aid. I am not suggesting that Mozambique's only problem are large families. I am suggesting that not making family planning in a country with not enough food and nearly 50% of the population under the age of 14 a key goal of our aid to the country is not just shortsighted, but immoral. Read Irish Aid plans for Mozambique. Lots of talk of empowerment, and food. None that I can see of controlling a population growth figure that doubles the population every generation and a bit. No country can manage growth of this level. Especially when their infrastructure is already pitifully inadequate.
How would you propose to address population growth in Mozambique?
Family planning? Would this be through education and provision of easy access to contraception?
And if this made no difference, what then?

Inda Kenny

No-one starving to death or going blind from drinking water in Ireland. You say you're a Catholic. Act like one.
Perhaps if India spent less on its nuclear programme it would be able to provide clean drinking water and food for its people.