MP fears Loughinisland case traded for UVF guns

Mr Crowley

Police Ombudsman Al Hutchinson last night denied that he had been asked to delay publishing a report into one of the worst UVF atrocities of the Troubles to facilitate talks over loyalist decommissioning.

However, South Down MP Eddie McGrady yesterday warned against any government attempt to downgrade a police investigation into the UVF murder of six men in Loughinisland as a trade-off in exchange for loyalist decommissioning.

Yesterday families of the six men murdered in the June 1994 massacre raised concerns that the PSNI had downgraded the murder inves- tigation to the Historic Enquiries Team (HET) just days before UVF decommissioning.

The Loughinisland families demanded to know if this week’s decision to treat the murder investigations as “cold cases’ was connected to any decommissioning deal with the UVF.

The PSNI rejected the claim and insisted its murder investigation was still ongoing.

Mr McGrady said he was concerned that a year-long delay in the publication of a police ombudsman’s report into the Loughinisland murders was “politically convenient” to allow a decommis- sioning deal.

Mr McGrady said that he had been informed by the ombudsman in June 2008 that a “substantive” investigation into Loughinisland had been completed and that its report would be published later that summer.

However, nearly a year later the ombudsman has informed him that the investigation is still incomplete.

“My fear that this delay by the ombudsman’s office was politically convenient in the circumstances has been heightened with the announcement that the investigation is to become a ‘cold case’ under the historical investigations team, on the day that the UVF appear to have committed to decommissioning.

However, a spokesman for the ombudsman’s office denied that there had been “any contact or political interference of any nature from any source and the office remains completely independent in these matters”.

“The police ombudsman is determined to conclude on this grave matter as expeditiously as possible and issue a statement on his findings,” the spokesman said.

Irish News: NEWS: MP fears Loughinisland case traded for UVF guns

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I would share McGrady's suspiscion at the timing of this announcement but for very different reasons. Loyalist decommissioning provides a suitable diversion to obscure the Loughinsland issue; which is primarily one of collusion-led mass-murder. They will truthfully deny that a deal was done to secure decommissioning as no such deal would have been necessary and the people will assume that they are lying and think little more of it. The reason that they want to bury Loughinisland is primarily because of the level of collusion involved and the fact that the likes of Mark Haddock are still alive.

5intheface

Doubt greatly if it will turn out to be the only deal involved. Who'd a thought the British Government and Loyalists would ever make a deal on something?

Mr Crowley

Doubt greatly if it will turn out to be the only deal involved. Who'd a thought the British Government and Loyalists would ever make a deal on something?
I would imagine that the original deal was when the Loyalists were given the opportunity to exact revenge on Haddock. He was shot with low velocity rounds that didn't kill him but left him sh1tting in a bag for the rest of his life. He, and the Mount Vernon RUC/UVF unit have been proven to have been involved in Loughinisland and other incidents. The case will be buried or Haddock will before he can say too much.

5intheface

I would imagine that the original deal was when the Loyalists were given the opportunity to exact revenge on Haddock. He was shot with low velocity rounds that didn't kill him but left him sh1tting in a bag for the rest of his life. He, and the Mount Vernon RUC/UVF unit have been proven to have been involved in Loughinisland and other incidents. The case will be buried or Haddock will before he can say too much.
Are you suggesting the British will not look after their own agent? You're mad I tell you, they'll never get away with it. :shock2:

dmc444

My family are from Loughlinisland, the community still have not fully gotten over the attack, mainly because most people around there know exactly were the attackers came from.

I hope the report has not been delayed just to accomodate the UVF doing something that they should have done years ago.

merle haggard

My family are from Loughlinisland, the community still have not fully gotten over the attack, mainly because most people around there know exactly were the attackers came from.

I hope the report has not been delayed just to accomodate the UVF doing something that they should have done years ago.
Decommisioning the guns the British governemnt imported and supplied to them to carry out actions like Loughinisland in the first place ?
McGrady seems to have missed another elephant in the room . Whats needed here is not loyalist decomissioning but a British government apology and promise neevr to import massive arms shipements into Ireland again and never to distribute them to their agents to carry out atrocities like Loughinisland . Without that any decomissioning move is completely farcical and utterly meaningless .

Tomas Mor

I see Irish team will wear black armbands when the play Italy in June on anniversary of the shooting. How did FAI and EFA agree to this. It sets a precedent. They will have to balance it with commemoration of IRA atrocity- maybe Enniskillen or La Mon would be appropriate ?

Tomas Mor

I see Irish team will wear black armbands when the play Italy in June on anniversary of the shooting. How did FAI and EFA agree to this. It sets a precedent. They will have to balance it with commemoration of IRA atrocity- maybe Enniskillen or La Mon would be appropriate ?
wonder if the provos and maffia were in on this ?

rapparree

maybe it was because they were murdered for the crime of watching an Irish soccer match, do you ever tire of your orange gimpery

eskrimador

It's because it was Ireland Vs Italy, which it will be again and it is precisely 10 years to the day, since the attack took place.

BBC - Homepage

Tomas Mor

Sets a useful precedent for other atrocitioes like Enniskillen, La Mon, Srebrenica, Sarajevo etc.

rapparree

Sets a useful precedent for other atrocitioes like Enniskillen, La Mon, Srebrenica, Sarajevo etc.

only in your head,

btw whilst not lessening the tragedy of enniskillen etc, comparing the killing of 11 people to srebenica where 8000 were killed, and sarajevo where 10000 were killed over the siege, is highly disingenuous in the extreme, over 4 times as many as were killed over the 30 odd years of conflict in the north.

says more about your continued gimpery than anything else

NornIron

Decommisioning the guns the British governemnt imported and supplied to them to carry out actions like Loughinisland in the first place ?
McGrady seems to have missed another elephant in the room . Whats needed here is not loyalist decomissioning but a British government apology and promise neevr to import massive arms shipements into Ireland again and never to distribute them to their agents to carry out atrocities like Loughinisland . Without that any decomissioning move is completely farcical and utterly meaningless .
What guns did the British import into Northern Ireland that were used by loyalists?

You've proof of nothing mate, only republican myths. Yes guns were imported to these shores by various factions throughout the conflict, the majority of these shipments went to republican groups and were used to murder and maim people in the 1000's.

NornIron

only in your head,

btw whilst not lessening the tragedy of enniskillen etc, comparing the killing of 11 people to srebenica where 8000 were killed, and sarajevo where 10000 were killed over the siege, is highly disingenuous in the extreme, over 4 times as many as were killed over the 30 odd years of conflict in the north.

says more about your continued gimpery than anything else
So why is the Loughinisland massacre worse than Enniskillen then, 6 killed at Loughinisland, 11 killed at Enniskillen.

Ren84

Go away loyalist troll.

J

Johnny Boy

Please direct me to your post quibbling over the decision by the England football team to wear tops incorporating poppies last November against Spain, and if you can, perhaps I'll revise my opinion and conclude that you are not a trolling chimp after all...............
Your post is an insult to the memories of those murdered that day.
What an odious toad you are.

J

Johnny Boy

The people involved were watching the Ireland Italy game in 1994. There lies the connection and the explanation for the minute's silence.
There is no direct football connection to Enniskillen, La Mon, Srebrenica, Sarajevo.
The post which revived this thread is pure trolling and needs to go in the Zoo, as an example to all the other mindless, sectarian bigots.
There is no worthwhile moderation on this site.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Please direct me to your post quibbling over the decision by the England football team to wear tops incorporating poppies last November against Spain, and if you can, perhaps I'll revise my opinion and conclude that you are not a trolling chimp after all...............
Your post is an insult to the memories of those murdered that day.
What an odious toad you are.
When Tomas the thirteen year old is been his usual childish self, your usually goading the gobsh!te on.

J

Johnny Boy

I have to say that post by Tomas Mor is probably the worst example of gratuitous sectarian whataboutery I've ever seen on this site. When some feels the need to quibble over a minute's silence to commemmorate the murder of people watching a football match and actually goes to the bother of seeking out and reviving a thread which lay dormant for three years, it is not hard to see that they are motivated by pure sectarian hatred. Shameful stuff!
I very rarely become angry on this site but that post has made my blood boil. Good man Tom! You succeeded in your malignant little sectarian escapade.

NornIron

I remember people on here objecting to a permanent memorial to the Enniskillen massacre too. A typical hierarchy of victims here in NI. Lets remember all the nationalists who were so brutally slain by an oppressive British regime complete with loyalist death squads but forget about those unionist civilians who actually ran in the direction of the IRA's bombs even though the IRA ALWAYS GAVE 2000 WARNINGS FOR EACH DEVICE which were never heeded by the security forces and the people in the vicinity.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies