• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Much vaunted Norwegian schools system defers exams for bibber

44percent

Tail wags dog. Teenagers must be pandered to. Reduce the voting age to 16.

Nemesiscorporation

Lempo

The choice was, no one sitting exams or postpone them a week.
Or worse, only the boys would have been there, hence scoring better than girls. Not in a Nordic society, no siree.

That having been said, Nordic pragmatism in these matters is a good thing.

B

Boggle

We can do a lot of things but changing the nature of teenagers isn't one of them so this is fairly sensible.

Asparagus

We can do a lot of things but changing the nature of teenagers isn't one of them so this is fairly sensible.
But by accommodating the so limp wristedly, you give the poor dears nothing to rebel against.

So they look to intensify the rebellion, which is essential in development of the adult.
So moving an exam to let kids go to beiber today, means you are deprioritising school, the kids then need to find the new boundary.
Saying no to kids is often the best thing to do.

44percent

The nature of teenagers. The corporately manufactured desire to be a pop consumer found among elements of female teenagers in this instance.

Lempo

I would raise, even, if I knew your point.

But speaking as a Nordic myself, it's not too often when the biggest stars, which Biebs is for a certain demography, come to embrace these shores and it's not a bad thing to provide some kiddie fun for the kiddies. Some other day it may be the school that is asking the kids to be flexible when the school goes under repair or something. It's a give and take.

Ren84

I'm not sure why but I have this strong desire to punch Beiber in the face. :?

gatsbygirl20

Or worse, only the boys would have been there, hence scoring better than girls. Not in a Nordic society, no siree.

That having been said, Nordic pragmatism in these matters is a good thing.
Probably.

But imagine an equivalent scenario in Ireland.

We would not hear much talk about "Irish pragmatism" then.

We would hear howls of protest and abuse, in which the phrases "this kip is a joke" and "our schools are an international embarrassment" would figure hugely.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Probably.

We would hear howls of protest and abuse, in which the phrases "this kip is a joke" and "our schools are an international embarrassment" would figure hugely.
In fairness, postponing the exams is, on the surface of it, very silly.

Asparagus

I would raise, even, if I knew your point.

But speaking as a Nordic myself, it's not too often when the biggest stars, which Biebs is for a certain demography, come to embrace these shores and it's not a bad thing to provide some kiddie fun for the kiddies. Some other day it may be the school that is asking the kids to be flexible when the school goes under repair or something. It's a give and take.
I recommend all non urgent repairs be carried out during school breaks or weekends.
The schools systems may be outdated and irrelevant regarding content and skills in a digital age. But they do provide surrogate structure and discipline.

Lempo

I recommend all non urgent repairs be carried out during school breaks or weekends.
The schools systems may be outdated and irrelevant regarding content and skills in a digital age. But they do provide surrogate structure and discipline.
I was actually thinking a recent real-life local case where the school went under a huge repairment due to mould problem and them kiddies went pretty much their whole school year in a makeshift barracks arrangement. Extremely well, I've heard.

Asparagus

Probably.

Yes. But i wonder what'd happen if a gang load of loretto Dalkey and notre dam girls pressured daddy to buy them beiber tickets in Norway during the junior cert.

Probably.

Justifiably so too.

National exams are part of the national calendar. They should be - barring a major disaster - immutable.

If children (and their parents) are stupid enough to allow an ephemeron such as Bieber to disrupt their preparation for exams which will have a major determination in their career then I am prepared to cite Darwin.

Ramp up revision hours in advance if you must insist on seeing Bieber, but if we allow our children to determine the schedule of exams based on a minority of them who will get to see his gigs, then throw the whole lot out of the window.

44percent

I am the son of a deposed President. The allocation of derived instancy merits a concomitant deposition of the pecuniary sort. Do not forgo the looming and happening opportunity .