• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Muhammad Ali RIP

Levellers

Cassius Clay RIP

Probably the greatest sportsperson I have ever seen. Pushed the boundaries on every level politically, socially and entertainment wise.

I remember Mom getting us up in the middle of the night to watch him fight Sonny Liston.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Muhammad Ali RIP". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Was a good aul character but the brain damage that he suffered most of his life took a lot of gloss of his story but probably saved many from the barbaric nature and dangers of getting your head knocked about in a boxing ring

TheWexfordInn

Probably the greatest sportsperson I have ever seen. Pushed the boundaries on every level politically, socially and entertainment wise.

I remember Mom getting us up in the middle of the night to watch him fight Sonny Liston.
Thats going back a bit - I have my own early memory of being woken up in the middle of the night to watch the "Thrilla in Manilla" where he fought Joe Frasier. The amount of interest that Ali managed to generate for this fights among people who have no interest whatsoever in boxing was unprecedented before and since.

12 bens

His name was Muhammad Ali.

Please change the OP.

Vega1447

To be a sport, blows to the head that inevitably led and lead to brain injury should have been disallowed.

Not that far from cage fighting really.

owedtojoy

His name was Muhammad Ali.

Please change the OP.
We should have the respect to use the name he took for himself: Muhammad Ali

Say it loud, say it proud.

The greatest international sportsman of the latter half of the 20th century. More than just a sportsman, a symbol and a role model in standing up for your beliefs.

Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam

Last edited:

Boy M5

Agree with the above - he was also part of the diaspora (turning into CJH in scrap saturday here) he had a forebear O'Grady.
Do you remember when he came here a few years back.
I am surprised the ex Sticky Gimmeemore didn't have the printing presses turning for one of his certificates of Oirishness.

Also the Cathal O'Shannon clips will be on RTE News Not when they awaken (about 1300 hours).

I expect that Parkinson will be wheeled out by the BBC. He was interviewed recently & was damning of Ali as a person. Mainly over how he regarded women & the views of Nation of Islam - which wanted separate existence for black muslims (I think)
Intereresting if this is repeated.

Levellers

His opposition to the Vietnam was probably his finest achievement among many fine achievements:

Catalpast

Great Fighter Great Sportsperson

With Pele one of the first International Sports stars known around the World

Ok he was also a Loudmouth, arrogant and a religious extremist - IMO anyway

But he took a stand against the insane Vietnam War that cost him millions in income

- and he stayed home and fought his case all the way to the US Supreme Court

- and Won!

RIP Mr Ali

But watch who you pick a fight with Up There....:cool:

Boy M5

Ali had forebears from Ennis in the county Clare.

maxflinn

A totally unique legend, as a sportsman and a human being.

Accidental sock

"I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick"

Just one of life's incredible human beings. Not flawless by any means, but he was 'the greatest'.

.....change the thread title. It's disrespectful, as the late Ernie Terrell discovered.

"RIP Muhammad Ali."

Even after death, he's rhyming!

Fyi....no true fan would've used that name in the OP...ask Ernie

Clanrickard

Lets also remember he was a racist regularly suggesting white people are not inherently moral.

maxflinn

Lets also remember he was a racist regularly suggesting white people are not inherently moral.
White people are not inherently moral. Look at you!

Accidental sock

"[Ali is] the greatest man I've ever known. Not greatest boxer that's too small for him. He had a gift. He's not pretty he's beautiful. Everything America should be, Muhammad Ali is."  George Foreman

Hitchcock

In the context of the society that he grew up in and the vicious racism and segregation of the african american population it's hardly surprising he drew that conclusion.....

Rural

I must say, he was beautiful, a beautiful face that lit up with mischief!

[video=youtube;uzHVi7b-b7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzHVi7b-b7c[/video]

RodShaft

We should have the respect to use the name he took for himself: Muhammed Ali

Say it loud, say it proud.

The greatest international sportsman of the latter half of the 20th century. More than just a sportsman, a symbol and a role model in standing up for your beliefs.

Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam
Or to put it another way. It is an insult to him and what he stood for to use his slave name.

Remember, this is a man who surrender his WORLD title (US controlled boxing in those days) rather than go fight in Vietnam with people with whom he had no quarrel.

And good morning early birdie.

Betson

One of the most charismatic characters ever to grace sport or indeed any field , probably the most famous man in the world for some time in his heyday.

Because of his illness many will say the real Ali died a long time ago ,nevertheless a real legend has passed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies