• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Murdoch's News Corp to buy FM104 / Q102 / Cork 96 FM / C103 / Live 95FM / LMFM for £220 Million

YesSireeeBob

265 million euro - must be money in radio.

Former UTV radio stations, seems to be mainly pop music stations, with a bit of talk radio thrown in.

So nothing much to see here.

Probably should be a limit of the number of stations one group can own though.

News Corp to buy Irish radio stations - RTÉ News
Rupert Murdoch

The acquisition will see the group’s biggest asset, British radio station TalkSport, and seven Irish radio stations come under the control of News Corp (UK and Ireland), which also owns the Sun, the Times and the Sunday Times newspapers, as well as the Dublin-based news agency Storyful.

Rebekah Brooks, the chief executive of News UK (the company’s trading name), said Wireless represented “an opportunity for us to take advantage of its strong radio presence to build on our growing digital success story”.

The deal will have to be cleared by competition regulators in Ireland and the UK. Under Ireland’s media mergers legislation, it will also be examined on plurality grounds by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and Minister for Communications Denis Naughten.

RodShaft

Analyzer

Prediction : media commentators who never complained about the power of the DOBlin media will suddenly become concerned about who owns the media.

We might even see the Looper party become alarmed at something they peviously rubber stamped.

I hope that Murdoch media takes a few pot shots at the DOBlin media.

This might get entertaining.

Analyzer

A US style media approach to keeping media in Irish hands might be overdue at this point.
nEU empire law would forbid such a sovereignty based approach.

But I think your proposal has definite merit.

Can we add a prerequisite on tax residency with regard to the term Irish, in this instance ?

Spanner Island

Prediction : media commentators who never complained about the power of the DOBlin media will suddenly become concerned about who owns the media.

We might even see the Looper party become alarmed at something they peviously rubber stamped.

I suspect it'll be more depressing than entertaining...

Not a fan of DOB or Murdoch... or any media moguls tbh...

Dame_Enda

We need Murdoch down here to counter the liberal, pro EU, pro open borders bias of Newstalk, RTE etc.

Last edited:

Analyzer

The real answer here is complete liberalization of the media so that any group of citizens can start their own media organization to take on the tax non dom billionaires and Murdoch.

Prester Jim

As repulsive as Murdoch is at every level his newspapers have been pretty good with reporting on the actual news in Ireland while the others report DOB and the Yellow circles's PR, much prefer to see DOB leave then Murdoch enter but maybe it might bring a teensy bit more balance to the media here.

redacted

As repulsive as Murdoch is at every level his newspapers have been pretty good with reporting on the actual news in Ireland while the others report DOB and the Yellow circles's PR, much prefer to see DOB leave then Murdoch enter but maybe it might bring a teensy bit more balance to the media here.
I can only assume you've never read the Sun

Prester Jim

No but no-one reads the Sun, they look at the pictures surely?
I meant that the Sunday Times has reported the misbehaviour of Callinan, and Noreen plus other FG and FF antics as well as they rest of the parties that they all attack with glee.
I know of course that his papers, tactics and character are all appalling but two superpowers are better then one.

Analyzer

The Sun has an attractive pair of tits.

The Sindo tries to close with Brendan O'Connor and Willie O'Dea. And fails.

gijoe

We need Murdoch down here to counter the liberal, pro EU, pro open borders bias of Newstalk, RTE etc.
I can't wait circa 30 years for EIREXIT* though!!

PS I am going to register that trademark in the morning.....

ShoutingIsLeadership

Liberal issues such as supporting gay marriage, perhaps?

Odd how you were ok with that one. Positively delighted, in fact.

Why might that be?

Analyzer

asset test

The Irish radio stations mentioned appear to be aimed at a younger demographic.

Get em young and feed them right.

Must be something in it for the purchasers. Can't figure out what it is though at this present moment. But something profound I am sure.

GDPR

More anti-EU , pro west Brit content ? I guess every cloud has a silver lining...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies