• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

My God, Larry Murphy's back!!

bob3344

A justice system is seriously flawed with a violent rapist who makes no effort to engage with treatment or never shows any kind of remorse is released after only serving 10 and a half years of a 15 year sentence, Surely his failure to try and reform and lack of remorse should have meant he served the full 15 years, that would be the case if we had a proper justice system, which we dont in this country.
Yeah, ridiculous giving sex offenders time off for good behaviour - they tend to be model prisoners. Why ? No potential victims in jail to excite them.

He's been flagged as a psycho, should have served the full 15 years, then locked up in a hospital/prison for the criminally insane.

Grumpy Jack

After his arrest (Year 2000) when a mate showed me a photo snapshot of him in the papers. That was when we quickly realised it was the same guy after all, although we didn't know his real name prior to that. At that time we came to Wicklow just for a few days break and stopped randomly at a pub in Wicklow. That's how it came about.

We were shocked when we read the article but we weren't surprised given the fact that his staring at young girl all afternoon. That was pretty very uncomfortable for me personally and others too.
What exactly would you expect the garda to have done at that time? All you were telling them was that a guy in the pub was staring at a teenage girl - happens in pubs and clubs all the time.

Larry Murphy was unknown to the Gardai until his arrest - and that was by pure chance when two hunters happened on him and his victim in a wooded area and recognised him before he fled. Gardai later arrested him at his home.

It was only after his arrest and further investigation that gardai realised they had someone who fitted the classic FBI profile of predator rapist/killer in custody - you know the type you see profiled in all those US shows like Criminal Minds (fiction mostly based on true cases) and True Crime/Serial Killers programmes which tell real stories.

When those hunters came upon Larry Murphy with that poor woman in a remote wooded area in the dark, he was not masked and she was not blindfolded. Nor was he concerned about leaving behind DNA or other physical evidence. Nor was he concerned that he would be seen by others or that his car would be spotted. What does that tell us?

Everything points to the fact that if those two hunters had not chanced upon Murphy with this victim, that unfortunate woman would have become another missing woman who vanished in the Leinster area in the decade from 1990 to 2000 - and we may never have heard of Larry Murphy. Given where he was found with the woman, what he was carrying and the way he had stalked, abducted and subdued the woman, gardai do not believe this was his first attack either.

And the reasons Murphy is a suspect in the cases of at least three other women in that period is that gardai can definitively put him in the area at the time of at least two of the disappearances (Deirdre Jacob and Jo Jo Dullard) and there is circumstantial evidence that he may have been in the area at the time of the other case (Annie McCarrick).

Given that Murphy spent from February 2000 to August 2010, is at just a coincidence that there were no other unexplained disappearances of women in the mid-Leinster area in that time? Gardai and other criminal experts certainly don't believe it is coincidence.

As for the sentence, Larry Murphy served his full sentence of 14 years, including 25% remission granted to all prisoners - he served 10 and a half years to the day from his arrest to his release from Arbour Hill.

Given sentencing policy In Ireland at that time, he got a lengthy sentence by Irish standards. Had the trial judge, Mr Justice Carney, given him a longer sentence or even jailed him for life, there is no doubt it would have been overturned by the Court of Criminal Appeal and a sentence similar to what he was given by Carney imposed in its place. You only have to look at the ongoing sentences battles between Carney and the CCA and their judgements to understand this.

Another unfortunate problem with Murphy is that because he was convicted and sentenced before the Sex Offenders Act 2001 came into force, he is not subject to a supervision order, does not have to give his address or whereabouts to gardai and cannot be put under 24/7 surveillance by gardai. This also applies to another convicted serial rapist who is viewed as a dangerous predator and was released serveral years ago after he completed a lengthy sentence for a series of rapes in Dublin in the mid-1990s and who was last known to be living in the Greater Dublin area.

Larry Murphy is an extremely dangerous man and, based on the profile gardai have of him, a threat to women everywhere - but there is little gardai can do within their powers bar keep a discreet lookout for him while he is in Ireland or warn their counterparts in Europe about him and leave it up to them while Murphy is within their jurisdictions. Beyond that, they can simply hope and pray he never strikes again.

Last edited:

johnny365

Yeah, ridiculous giving sex offenders time off for good behaviour - they tend to be model prisoners. Why ? No potential victims in jail to excite them.

He's been flagged as a psycho, should have served the full 15 years, then locked up in a hospital/prison for the criminally insane.
Creatures like Murphy should not be allowed re enter society, look at the recent killings of Jill Meagher and Sarah Cafferkey in Australia, this was evidence of serious pyschos getting lenient sentences and being left on the streets until they commit a shocking crime, prevention is better than cure, society should be protected from animals like Murphy.

Disabled student

What exactly would you expect the garda to have done at that time? All you were telling them
was that a guy in the pub was staring at a teenage girl - happens in pubs and clubs all the time.
Agree with you there. However from my recollection, that teenage girl was only 13/14 at that time with her mother. Larry's eyes gave away lot as we felt that she was his target. It was some sick pervert that i have ever seen because he made a direct approach towards her with two of his pals. We had to block him and prevent him physically from going over to her, which we all ended up in men's toilet fighting with him and his two pals there.

Bar owner expelled all of us out of his pub in Baltinglass. It was the first time that i had seen up close with him. He had strong mania drive and totally mind full of sex. His body language told us a lot especially his eyes which we knew he was going take her if we didn't stop him in his tracks. He had no empathy nor remorse.

Larry Murphy was unknown to the Gardai until his arrest - and that was by pure chance when two hunters happened on him and his victim in a wooded area and recognised him before he fled. Gardai later arrested him at his home.

It was only after his arrest and further investigation that gardai realised they had someone who fitted the classic FBI profile of predator rapist/killer in custody - you know the type you see profiled in all those US shows like Criminal Minds (fiction mostly based on true cases) and True Crime/Serial Killers programmes which tell real stories.

When those hunters came upon Larry Murphy with that poor woman, he was not masked and she was not blindfolded, and he had a spade in the boot of his car. Nor was he concerned about leaving behind DNA or other physical evidence. Nor was he concerned that he would be seen by others or that his car would be spotted. What does that tell us?

Everything points to the fact that if those two hunters had not chanced upon Murphy with this victim, that unfortunate woman would have become another missing woman who vanished in the Leinster area in the decade from 1990 to 2000 - and we may never have heard of Larry Murphy. Given where he was found with the woman, what he was carrying and the way he had stalked, abducted and subdued the woman, gardai do not believe this was his first attack either.

And the reasons Murphy is a suspect in the cases of at least three other women in that period is that gardai can definitively put him in the area at the time of at least two of the disappearances (Deirdre Jacob and Jo Jo Dullard) and there is circumstantial evidence that he may have been in the area at the time of the other case (Annie McCarrick).

Given that Murphy spent from February 2000 to August 2010, is at just a coincidence that there were no other unexplained disappearances of women in the mid-Leinster area in that time? Gardai and other criminal experts certainly don't believe it is coincidence.

As for the sentence, Larry Murphy served his full sentence of 14 years, including 25% remission granted to all prisoners - he served 10 and a half years to the day from his arrest to his release from Arbour Hill.

Given sentencing policy In Ireland at that time, he got a lengthy sentence by Irish standards. Had the trial judge, Mr Justice Carney, given him a longer sentence or even jailed him for life, there is no doubt it would have been overturned by the Court of Criminal Appeal and a sentence similar to what he was given by Carney imposed in its place. You only have to look at the ongoing sentences battles between Carney and the CCA and their judgements to understand this.

Another unfortunate problem with Murphy is that because he was convicted and sentenced before the Sex Offenders Act 2001 came into force, he is not subject to a supervision order, does not have to give his address or whereabouts to gardai and cannot be put under 24/7 surveillance by gardai. This also applies to another convicted serial rapist who is viewed as a dangerous predator and was released serveral years ago after he completed a lengthy sentence for a series of rapes in Dublin in the mid-1990s and who was last known to be living in the Greater Dublin area.

Larry Murphy is an extremely dangerous man and, based on the profile gardai have of him, a threat to women everywhere - but there is little gardai can do within their powers bar keep a discreet lookout for him while he is in Ireland or warn their counterparts in Europe about him and leave it up to them while Murphy is within their jurisdictions. Beyond that, they can simply hope and pray he never strikes again.
Agreed with rest of your post there. From what i have seen him, he should be arrested and locked up although the evidence is flimsy or not strong enough to stand up in court.He was one of the most perverted person that we ever came across since then.He was unbelievable on that day in Baltinglass pub. There was no one like him right up to now. One word comes to my mind.. Predator.

Last edited:

Grumpy Jack

Agree with you there. However from my recollection, that teenage girl was only 13/14 at that time with her mother. Larry's eyes gave away lot as we felt that she was his target. It was some sick pervert that i have ever seen because he made a direct approach towards her with two of his pals. We had to block him and prevent him physically from going over to her, which we all ended up in men's toilet fighting with him and his two pals there.

Bar owner expelled all of us out of his pub in Baltinglass. It was the first time that i had seen up close with him. He had strong mania drive and totally mind full of sex. His body language told us a lot especially his eyes which we knew he was going take her if we didn't stop him in his tracks. He had no empathy nor remorse.
There is no evidence that Murphy was a paedophile who stalked and attacked young teenage girls. His known victim and suspected victims were all young women, although Deirdre Jacob was 18 when she disappeared.

Murphy may have freaked you and your friends out by the way he acted at that time but that is not a reason for a garda to suspect that he was about to attack and rape (and possibly kill) a young teenage girl. Nor is it a surprise that you were thrown out of the pub - what would you expect when you get into a confrontation with him in a pub in his home town?

It is very easy to look back with hindsight at that confrontation with Murphy once he had been arrested for rape and attempted murder and you recognised him from a picture - but could you honestly say, at the time you saw him, you were looking at a predator rapist and suspected serial killer?

Dublin 4

I wonder what Murphy's Nickname & Avatar are?

Or have P.ie's resident whackjobs scared even him of....

Disabled student

There is no evidence that Murphy was a paedophile who stalked and attacked young teenage girls. His known victim and suspected victims were all young women, although Deirdre Jacob was 18 when she disappeared.
I do believe that he may have attacked before as that was my instinct after the fight. The pub owner knew him although we weren't from the local area. Anyway, he evicted us and Larryand his two pals out. We never went back there as that was the only time that we met Larry there.I didn't know who he was nor his reputation. However we saw him up close and could imagine what he could do to other women, also predatory way he behaved at that time.

It is very easy to look back with hindsight at that confrontation with Murphy once he had been arrested for rape and attempted murder and you recognised him from a picture - but could you honestly say, at the time you saw him, you were looking at a predator rapist and suspected serial killer?

The time i saw him after the fight, we knew he was a rapist but not a serial rapist nor a killer,which we didn't think at that time or glean from him on that day. Predator which i mean is stalking women constantly/endlessly (not kill) which he did from our observations and clashes with him and his pals. We never thought he was a killer or a serial rapist but his behaviour was something else out of this world which we never saw it before, not normal nor rational from our experiences with people in life.

'orebel

Larry's eyes gave away lot as we felt that she was his target. It was some sick pervert that i have ever seen because he made a direct approach towards her with two of his pals. We had to block him and prevent him physically from going over to her, which we all ended up in men's toilet fighting with him and his two pals there.

You're a very strange person.

'orebel

So, a concerned citizen is the strange one? Not Larry Murphy, then?
Well looky here. It's that p.ie either/or thing again.

Off with your head citizen.

Hitch 22

I do believe that he may have attacked before as that was my instinct after the fight. The pub owner knew him although we weren't from the local area. Anyway, he evicted us and Larryand his two pals out. We never went back there as that was the only time that we met Larry there.I didn't know who he was nor his reputation. However we saw him up close and could imagine what he could do to other women, also predatory way he behaved at that time.

The time i saw him after the fight, we knew he was a rapist but not a serial rapist nor a killer,which we didn't think at that time or glean from him on that day. Predator which i mean is stalking women constantly/endlessly (not kill) which he did from our observations and clashes with him and his pals. We never thought he was a killer or a serial rapist but his behaviour was something else out of this world which we never saw it before, not normal nor rational from our experiences with people in life.
Did I tell you the time I was in a bar and Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin and Saddam Hussein all pulled a knife on me?

artfoley56

Larry Murphy is back in action, and Scattered wants to reduce the number of gardai.....
absolutely, we have way too many gardai in amsterdam :shock:

Grumpy Jack

I'd like to make it clear the above quote is from Disabled Student and not me - despite what it looks like there.

Round tower

How would you know a murderer if you saw one.

MrD011

10 yrs is nothing for what he did , 30yrs min is what he deserved.

The Herren

We came across him many years ago in Wicklow pub one afternoon. He was staring at a fourteen years old girl whose parent is deaf. We got a very strong impression that he was going to rape her. It was very uncomfortable for us to see him staring at young teenager girl all afternoon.

Eventually we took the matter into our hands as he followed us into the toilet looking for a fight. However the pub owner stopped and barred all of us out. Then we spoke to a guard offering our story as they weren't interested at all whatsoever. We didn't know his real name at that time until some 7 years later until we saw his name in the paper re court appearance. We recognized quickly it was the same man that we met in Wicklow pub.

Don't blame other people for not reporting like we didn't bother at the end just because the guards weren't that keen nor interested at all.
That is a very corny story. How did you come to the conclusion he was going to rape the girl?

44percent

In what must rank as one of the biggest non-stories of the year, the Indo, in public service mode, has tracked down convicted sex offender Larry Murphy to Holland. In any other walk of life the writer of this article, the hysterical Paul Williams, would be viewed as a stalker as he admits following and filming this guy over a period of 5 months. My favourite quote from the story is that Murphy is .....glancing furtively at female passersby.
Quick, castrate him

Rapist Larry Murphy caught on camera talking to women - National News - Independent.ie
A public service. We should know where those convicted of such crimes are at all times. We need to create a new language of rights which offers protection through limitation of the convicted.

johnny365

A public service. We should know where those convicted of such crimes are at all times. We need to create a new language of rights which offers protection through limitation of the convicted.
Its time the law was on the side of the victims and the protection of society, a 30 year mandatory sentence for anyone convicted of rape would make the streets alot safer.

carruthers

We already have the sex offenders register and why it can't be applied retrospectively is beyond me. Would the limitation of the convicted go as far as castration?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies