My Lai - 16th March 1968 - 50 years on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/opinion/the-truth-behind-my-lai.html

50 years on from the War Crime of My Lai.

There will be little in the way of real look back in US, as when eventually brought it to trial
did little other than find one person guilty and even then he was out in 3 years.

US Military actions were no different from the Nazi regime in WW2 and this only came
to light because people like Seymour Hersh kept asking questions and looking for material.

These days he would be caled a traitor and jailed for going against Military.

My Lai wasn't the first or last, just the one where they got caught.
US Military forces have continued this is Afghanistan and Iraq where "embedded reporters"
filter out the truth.

The Nal

A lot of people, journos, military etc reckon there could've been hundreds of similar incidents.

toughbutfair

The US involvement in the Vietnam war was correct , they allowed hippies at home too much freedom and that lost them the war. this wouldn’t happen 30 years earlier. The communists were as evil as the Nazis and had to be stopped, they Americans should have gone in much harder.

razorblade

It was on another side of the world it wasn't a threat to the Yanks from that distance it was entirely pointless with countless lives lost needlessly what has it ever achieved just look at the mess of Iraq, Libya and Syria to see the absolute insanity of these foreign invasions let countries decide their own destinies its not up to anyone else to tell them what's best for them.

toughbutfair

It was on another side of the world it wasn't a threat to the Yanks from that distance it was entirely pointless with countless lives lost needlessly what has it ever achieved just look at the mess of Iraq, Libya and Syria to see the absolute insanity of these foreign invasions let countries decide their own destinies its not up to anyone else to tell them what's best for them.
Communism was spreading like wildfire, they didn’t know it would naturally fail due to being bolloxology . I understand the need to stop it.

Fritzbox

A lot of people, journos, military etc reckon there could've been hundreds of similar incidents.
Indeed, in wars that were not just fought by the Americans - wars fought by the Soviets, French, British etc, can also be surely full of 'similar incidents' - My Lai just gets the most coverage.

redneck

All armies commit atrocities in War. The British army shot dead 13 innocents in Derry as we all know, The Israeli army bombed Gaza killing hundreds of children. The Russian red army massacred Polish officers in the Katyn forest after WW2. The Viet Cong/NVA massacred hundreds in Hue city in 1968 too.
The list is endless.
The real hero of My Lai, was Hugh Thompson jnr. A helicopter pilot who stopped the massacre and was prepared to open fire on the US soldiers doing the shooting. He also brought it to the attention of the US military. But they did very little.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Thompson_Jr.

redneck

There was. But the NVA and VC got their revenge too. 58,000 US soldiers killed in the conflict.

parentheses

America’s wars in our own time have been devastating: perhaps three to four million Koreans, half of them civilians (and 37,000 Americans), as well as possibly a million Chinese troops, died between 1950 and 1953 on a peninsula largely left in rubble. In the Indochina wars of the 1960s and 1970s, the toll was similarly mind-bending. In Vietnam, 3.8 million civilians and combatants are estimated to have perished (along with 58,000 Americans); in Laos, perhaps one million people died

Tomgram: Nick Turse, The Perpetual Killing Field | TomDispatch

redneck

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/opinion/the-truth-behind-my-lai.html

50 years on from the War Crime of My Lai.

There will be little in the way of real look back in US, as when eventually brought it to trial
did little other than find one person guilty and even then he was out in 3 years.

US Military actions were no different from the Nazi regime in WW2 and this only came
to light because people like Seymour Hersh kept asking questions and looking for material.

These days he would be caled a traitor and jailed for going against Military.

My Lai wasn't the first or last, just the one where they got caught.
US Military forces have continued this is Afghanistan and Iraq where "embedded reporters"
filter out the truth.
This is not strictly true. All armies commit atrocities in War. The NVA and Viet Cong did too. Yes the US should not have been involved, but remember 58,220 American soldiers died, and more than 250,000 were injured. Many very seriously.

GDPR

Absolutely no country can guarantee that its soldiers will not commit atrocities, because they all do.

Thats why the best way of preventing such horrors is to avoid wars of choice.

This is not strictly true. All armies commit atrocities in War. The NVA and Viet Cong did too. Yes the US should not have been involved, but remember 58,220 American soldiers died, and more than 250,000 were injured. Many very seriously.
So 1 US soldier died for every 100 Vietnamese / Cambodian / Laoss citizens minimum who were killed not to mention the MILLIONS who were born with Genetic diseases because of the use of Chemical and Biological weapons and the thousands of mines and cluster bombs left behind which are still killing people today.

The US involvement in the Vietnam war was correct , they allowed hippies at home too much freedom and that lost them the war. this wouldn’t happen 30 years earlier. The communists were as evil as the Nazis and had to be stopped, they Americans should have gone in much harder.
So 5 plus million need to be slaughtered because Communism is evil ?

redneck

So 5 plus million need to be slaughtered because Communism is evil ?
The war involved Communist China and North Vietnam, population 500 million, supplied by the Soviet Union, population 400 million. Against the US and South Vietnam, population about 200 million.

The war involved Communist China and North Vietnam, population 500 million, supplied by the Soviet Union, population 400 million. Against the US and South Vietnam, population about 200 million.
There you go again parroting US claims.................. pity you didn't read up on Ho Chi Minh who was a Vietnamese Nationalist who wanted his country free of Foreign Imperialism, he not interested elsewhere.

redneck

The US should not have got involved in South Vietnam. It was not really their business imho. But due to the doctrine of the time ie stopping Communism, they did. Their Soldiers were protecting South Korea, Japan, Philipines, Indonesia and Thailand and probably India. They were in South Vietnam to prevent further expansion.
Ho Chi Minh was a true patriot. He admired and respected Terence McSwiney, and other Irish rebels.

The US should not have got involved in South Vietnam. It was not really their business imho. But due to the doctrine of the time ie stopping Communism, they did. Their Soldiers were protecting South Korea, Japan, Philipines, Indonesia and Thailand and probably India. They were in South Vietnam to prevent further expansion.
Ho Chi Minh was a true patriot. He admired and respected Terence McSwiney, and other Irish rebels.
US have happily slaughtered millions since WW1 but we are told we must respect them and listen to them as they have our interests at heart.

Think after 100 million perhaps we need to reexamine it

https://www.quora.com/How-many-countries-has-the-USA-invaded-since-1945?share=1

Mitsui2

Yes. There’s about 7,000 million on the planet so 5 dying is a small price to pay to stop an evil ideology spreading.
Is it safe to presume you'd feel the same way if the dead included yourself and your family?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies