Myers has Finally Lost it.

Ruaidhri

I think Myers is a good writer but at the same time he is very right-wing and conservative so its no suprise to me that the majority of people here don't agree with him.

spotty

That Kevin Myers hates Ireland. He is a disgrace to our country. My father says that he's not even Irish anyway.

b.a. baracus

I think Kevin has gone a bit "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" with this one. Waaay too many drugs man.

Cai

There's something a bit spooky about people who are interested in different racial characteristics and the like.

Having said that I reckon that people are hard wired to recognize very slight differences between their own group & that of others.. It's odd how easy it is to spot English folk in the supermarket or whatever even before you hear them speak a word. I'm not sure whether or not it's slight variances in physical characteristics, or slight differences in cultural traits, or a combination of both that people are atuned to. But it's remarkably easy to say whether people are Welsh or English just by looking - although any actual differences must be minutely small.

crip sandwich

There's something a bit spooky about people who are interested in different racial characteristics and the like.

Having said that I reckon that people are hard wired to recognize very slight differences between their own group & that of others.. It's odd how easy it is to spot English folk in the supermarket or whatever even before you hear them speak a word. I'm not sure whether or not it's slight variances in physical characteristics, or slight differences in cultural traits, or a combination of both that people are atuned to. But it's remarkably easy to say whether people are Welsh or English just by looking - although any actual differences must be minutely small.
Don't think so. Unless your head is pre loaded with racial stereotypes. You mean you could actually tell that Catherine Zeta Jones is welsh just by looking at her, thats some gift.

Cai

Don't think so. Unless your head is pre loaded with racial stereotypes. You mean you could actually tell that Catherine Zeta Jones is welsh just by looking at her, thats some gift.
No, I don't mean stereotypes - although there probably is a certain amount of statistical basis to some of the stereotyping we associate with various groups. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a statistical correlation between being Welsh & having blue eyes, I'd be surprised if the average height of a the Welsh was anything close to that of Norwegians - although I've never seen figures. But a stereotype is just that - a crude & insensitive characterization. I'll give you an example of what I mean.

I buy petrol in a garage over the road. Loads of English people pass during the summer on their way to the Llyn Peninsula. There's this lady who takes money for the petrol & you've often got a huge que there. I've often stood queuing & noted how she virtually always starts the conversation in the language appropriate to the customer.

She might be able to spot cultural or class characteristics (most of the local customers would be working class), she might have a good & recognize most of the locals by sight - but she'd need a good memory, it's a very, very busy garage.

CookieMonster

myers is such an awful, awful writer.
I don't think that is true at all. He can be fatastically entertaining.

I think he has never been as good since he left the Irish Times. The piece he wrote about taking the bus from town though Tallaght had me in tears.

Ah ha! I knew I had it in an email. I'll have to reproduce in fill because I have no link. hope that is ok.

The Irish Times - Wednesday, November 28, 2001
An Irishman's Diary
By KEVIN MYERS

What a glimpse into the face of the new Ireland one gets when one travels by Dublin bus. I made such a journey recently, on the upper deck of the 65, from the city centre to Blessington, with large numbers of the tattooed classes as travelling companions, certainly as far as Tallaght.

Now life has taught me to treat people with tattoos with the deference I normally reserve for Garda officers with Uzis who have just been stung by wasps. So when a tattoo lights up in a no-smoking zone, in general, I inwardly counsel timidity, which in my lexicon also goes by the name of prudence. An Australian tourist sitting near me on the 65 was clearly unacquainted with that lexicon, for when a young she-tattoo beside him lit up, he asked her, very politely, would she mind putting her cigarette out´, because she was showing no respect for other passengers.

"Shut the f**k up," declared this hospitable paragon loudly, "and f**k off back where you came from, you f**kin' bleedin' foreigner."

Tobacco smoke

Well, really. One can just about endure other people's illegal tobacco smoke, and perhaps even maintain a certain heroic aloofness while doing so; but there is something in the old system which rises in ungovernable revolt when visitors to this country are thus addressed, especially if they are called a "fuqqin forddennor."

However, I am at disadvantage when talking to a tattoo, for not even my fondest admirer would concede that I am a master of Ireland's numerous argots and accents; and tattoo is quite beyond me. But silence was equally beyond me. Turning to the young and fragrant creature, I simply said: "Our young visitor here is perfectly correct. It is against the law to smoke on a bus. Might I suggest you put the cigarette out?"

My memory is sometimes an able instrument, and there are certain things which it can recall which should be beyond its power of retention but which strangely are not. But alas, it is not able to do credit to the ensuing stream of abuse and contumely, which would have drawn a nunly pallor to the cheek of a sergeant-major. In essence, and converting her terminology to more Latinate and more circumspect language, this petal of Irish womanhood simply informed me to mind my coital business, that I was a copulating pudendum, and if I didn't button my copulating lip, she would coitally well defenestrate me, using a boot about my conjugating private parts to achieve that objective.

Well, something on those lines, anyway.

Different tactic

And then she embarked upon a different tactic. "Who the phuc do yew tink yew are anyways, wid your shoes, and your suit, and your phuqqin' Sunday Independent?. A phuqqin' solicitor?" The creature was clearly unacquainted with any broadsheet other than that august organ emanating from Middle Abbey Street, so she assumed the copy of this newspaper that I was reading was the Sunday Independent. But that did not hurt quite so much as the presumption that I belonged to the lawyering classes; here, now, was a crushing blow, and one which left me speechless.

At which point my antipodean friend chose - I think on balance inadvisedly - to speak up again. "Look," he said, in a voice plangent with sweet reason, "would you please put that cigarette out?" To which St Theresa of the Roses replied (loosely translated): "Hearken well, oh gentlemen of foreign extraction, and stay silent, else I shall rearrange your copulating reproductive organs with my coital feet - do you catch my conjugal drift?" And so saying, the she-tattoo sat back in her seat, her face triumphant as she received the congratulations of strangers around her. And with the principles which she had so bravely defended now vindicated, her neighbours then promptly lit up.

I confess that my reserves of valour, limited at the best of times, by this time had been squandered in the futile assault on her single cigarette, and I was no more capable of storming the veritable fortress of cigarette-smokers now around me than I was of converting Alabama to Islam.

Tradition of courtesy

There was a time when a foreign tourist such as the (now silent, scarlet-cheeked) Australian would have been defended by most natives in such circumstances. That time, it now seems, is past. No doubt there has always been a tradition of not obeying the law; but there was an equal tradition of courtesy and hospitality which would have caused a large group of Irish people to have defended an outsider against such vile abuse. Instead, the she-tattoo was hailed as a hero - or perhaps heroin would have been a better word - and our visitor was left to muse upon what an enchanting country Ireland has become.

Travelling by bus into the city doesn't even save time: this trip of 20 miles took two hours (a journey made all the more fascinating by a journey through most of Tallaght's back streets). How often does Dublin Bus management actually travel on the upper deck of its vehicles to see how truly abominable it is up there? How many people have been prosecuted for illegal smoking and for threatening passengers who complain? And how really stupid must you be to travel by Dublin Bus when you have a car?

Here is a promise. Mark it well, Dublin Bus management, and weep: regardless of how long I have to sit in my car in a Dublin traffic jam, I will never travel on one of your sanguinary copulating omnibuses, ever again.

© The Irish Times

Last edited:

orourkeda

Firstly, it's the Independent. Are we surprised at the garbage contained therein?

Secondly, Kevin Myers is in no position to comment on anyone elses looks and should refrain from same.

merle haggard

Myers lost it a very long time ago.
we shouldnt assume he ever had it to lose in the first place . The guy is just an attention seeking shameless attention whore . Hes no different from some little kid in the playground turning his eyelids up and eating snotters for a reaction , only less amusing .He just has a different forum to enage in infantile behaviour . Yet again he was written an easily decipherable code for " look at me look at me look at me..everybody please..look at me " .
The man is unemployable in any civilised country , his very presence in this country as a newspaper columnist simply bears out much of what he says about how crap the Irish are . People prepared to tolerate him fully deserve him .

MoggyMcG

The best and most charitable thing you could do for Kevin at the moment is to completely ignore him...give hime plenty of NO NOTICE. It will help him through his present difficulties - [tá a thobar inspioráide tirim!] as he get's published with feeble, quasi-racist splurges. Help him, please...he needs to be ignored. If you want to be shriven of this Myers malaise, just don't read him, don't talk about him and treat him as the nebbitsch he is.

SPQR

I don't think that is true at all. He can be fatastically entertaining.

I think he has never been as good since he left the Irish Times. The piece he wrote about taking the bus from town though Tallaght had me in tears.

Ah ha! I knew I had it in an email. I'll have to reproduce in fill because I have no link. hope that is ok.
Another absolute classic of his concerns the Persian deity, Inda-naimofuque:

The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 17, 1997 - An Irishman's Diary

Seems to have lost the plot though since he moved to the Indo.

Odyessus

No, I don't mean stereotypes - although there probably is a certain amount of statistical basis to some of the stereotyping we associate with various groups. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a statistical correlation between being Welsh & having blue eyes, I'd be surprised if the average height of a the Welsh was anything close to that of Norwegians - although I've never seen figures. But a stereotype is just that - a crude & insensitive characterization. I'll give you an example of what I mean.

I buy petrol in a garage over the road. Loads of English people pass during the summer on their way to the Llyn Peninsula. There's this lady who takes money for the petrol & you've often got a huge que there. I've often stood queuing & noted how she virtually always starts the conversation in the language appropriate to the customer.

She might be able to spot cultural or class characteristics (most of the local customers would be working class), she might have a good & recognize most of the locals by sight - but she'd need a good memory, it's a very, very busy garage.

There is a lot in what you say. Obviously Welsh people are more closely related to each other than they are to other nationalities, and of course the same goes for natives of other countries.

We are not surprised that people in the same family resemble each other because they are closely related, why should be surprised if we can discern similarities in people who are natives of the same country and are likely to be also related, albeit more distantly?

P.S. I remember hearing an American talk-show host of Dutch ancestry telling the audience of his first visit to Holland.

"Everyone looked like my Uncle Ted!" he said, to gales of laughter from the audience, who seemed to think this was an absurd joke.

dónal na geallaí

I was on holidays near St Davids not long ago.I soon picked out the Welsh people;both of them.:)

Cai

There is a lot in what you say. Obviously Welsh people are more closely related to each other than they are to other nationalities, and of course the same goes for natives of other countries.

We are not surprised that people in the same family resemble each other because they are closely related, why should be surprised if we can discern similarities in people who are natives of the same country and are likely to be also related, albeit more distantly?
iIll give you another example. The French really annoy my wife, & we often visit the south of the country. She speaks perfectly good French, but when she's in France the locals will more often than not speak to her in English before she even opens her mouth. She can't understand why. She's half Welsh, half Irish, five foot nothing tall, blue eyes, very fair skin & dark hair.

Odyessus

Another absolute classic of his concerns the Persian deity, Inda-naimofuque:

The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 17, 1997 - An Irishman's Diary

Seems to have lost the plot though since he moved to the Indo.

This is the nit-wit who told Ryan Turbidy recently on the Late Late Show that he had lost €60,000 in property speculation and was very angry about it.

Angry with himself for being stupid and greedy like the people he regularly condemned? No, it was someone else's fault. :rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies