Myers spaketh the Truth

Schomberg

Probably one of my final posts on this forum for awhile which I'm sure will please some of my green comrades petunia

Myers, usually a cringe worthy know-it-all but he's hit the nail on the proverbial head with his latest piece, a few uncomfortable truths about Ireland and the Irish. We do need to take a good long hard look in the mirror sometime. it's not always someones else fault :roll:

Kevin Myers: Isn't a childish desire to be popular a reason why our toenails are teetering on the abyss

One of the features of Irish life that astounds foreigners is our self-obsession. Do Belgians, Swiss, Estonians, Luxembourgers produce so many books about themselves as we do?

These sometimes slip into parody, such as last year's 'The Bombing of Dublin's North Strand'. In the Department of Defence's own words: "These four bombs formed an incident which had all the features of a major air raid ... searchlights, anti-aircraft fire, bomb explosions and fires, with the rise in tempo as the attack increased."

Four bombs, a few people killed, in 1941: and nearly 70 years later, a 380-page book about the night appears. Try explaining that to a Pole or a Londoner or a Berliner, or to a Jew anywhere. And this month, 'Destiny of the Soldiers, Fianna Fail, Irish Republicanism and the IRA 1926-73', nearly 540 pages, appears. It has an enchanting source note on page 458, which cites: "Mac Eoin, The IRA in the Twilight Years p540." So there we have it: just two books on the IRA totalling well over one thousand pages. Maybe IRA really stands for Infinitely Remorselessly Anal.

What else can we say about Ireland? That we haven't got a National Opera Company or a National Ballet Company, or -- unlike Birmingham or Liverpool or Bournemouth or Detroit or Cincinnati or just about every bloody hamlet in Bavaria -- we haven't got a free-standing symphony orchestra, but merely one that is an adjunct of the national broadcaster. And what more can I say about RTE, once I've told you that its highest-paid radio broadcaster has but two weekend morning programmes, which couldn't possibly attract the advertising required to pay even half her bloated salary?
And though I'm reluctant to attribute group-characteristics to a DNA inheritance (Mr Hitler having done some damage to that kind of thinking) we have to acknowledge that some features of Irishness don't appear to result from merely cultural forces. For example, alcoholism, schizophrenia and bipolar mental disorders are more prevalent in Ireland than anywhere else in Europe.

But what about other mental phenomena? Why do few Irish Gaelic names feature in the history of mechanics? The British Wolseley motor company was founded by an Irishman, but a Protestant, and the greatest boss of British Ford, Sir Patrick Hennessey, was a Cork Catholic, but he was not an engineer.

However, it is the American experience which is most illuminating, for it is in the US that the Irish have found their liberation and their natural limitations. Several of the original companies of General Motors had Irish pioneers, and, of course, so did Ford: but they were all Irish Protestants. The Catholic Irish-American might be a fluent lawyer and guileful politician: but he doesn't make things that whirr or whee or wheel.

Then consider our planning process. Self-governing, Anglo-Irish Protestant Ireland built Georgian Dublin, with its four great squares, and some of the most gracious buildings in these islands: the GPO, the Customs House, the Four Courts and the Parliament in College Green, three of which were destroyed by self-styled "republicans" (who didn't -- and don't -- know what the word means).

Self-governing Catholic Ireland built Tallaght. And we've just completed a thousand kilometres of motorway, but without any service stations, save one, just outside Dublin, where it's largely redundant. It's all a matter of forethought: speaking of which -- how many chess grand-masters of Irish origin are there?
Kevin Myers: Isn't a childish desire to be popular a reason why our toenails are teetering on the abyss? - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

dresden8

Er, Myers might want to realise that just opposite that one service station is another one.

He's an idiot and quite demonstrably so.

Tomas Mor

Myers is a gifted writer and gets so many things spot on.

Arracht

I'm undecided if Myers is a well paid troll or the Irish equivalent of a self hating Jew.

Cael

"Then consider our planning process. Self-governing, Anglo-Irish Protestant Ireland built Georgian Dublin, with its four great squares, and some of the most gracious buildings in these islands: the GPO, the Customs House, the Four Courts and the Parliament in College Green, three of which were destroyed by self-styled "republicans" (who didn't -- and don't -- know what the word means)."

Georgian Dublin was built on the most gross slavery in Ireland and abroad, and, except for a small central area, was mostly shacks and tenements. Nor is there anything original about it. Its all copied off Italian designs. (And, since Myers has such a sectarian facination, Italians are mostly Catholics.)

Schomberg

I'm undecided if Myers is a well paid troll or the Irish equivalent of a self hating Jew.
Ah Arracht, the self hating jew part might apply to yourself my lundy pal. Donning that Gaelic attitre every morning must be heavy going petunia

deiseguy

I never agree with Myers but......petunia

I just thought I'd be the first to post it.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Oim too tick to read dat. And drunk. But if he's agin Oirland I'll bate de lard outta him.

Schomberg

As if we didn't know it already but after that sentence its definitely confirmed, that the man is a total goon.
Ok then Fir Bog, name me five....

borntorum

As often is the case with Myers, some good points obscured by weird reactionary rubbish that I half suspect he writes just to shock. He is of course right that we are tiresomely self-obsessed. Just listen to some of the wailing about the IMF coming in - you would think that this has never happened to any other country, and that we uniquely have betrayed our founding fathers (and our obsession with our founding fathers is on a par with America's).

But what could be an important article is then ruined by sectarian waffle about what jobs the mere Catholic Irish are capable of, devoid of course of any evidence, statistics, academic study etc. Next week will he explain to a grateful nation how black people are good at running but not so suited to decision making or being in charge of others?

Arracht

Ah Arracht, the self hating jew part might apply to yourself my lundy pal. Donning that Gaelic attitre every morning must be heavy going petunia
I don't define my nationality by a particular interpretation of mythology written by sun crazed iron age desert tribes ;)

Cael

Seems funny to me how Kevin Myers is always inviting attention to himself and has hardly done anything of real worth in his life.

He's merely an overpaid wind-up merchant.
Indeed, its fortunate for Myers that the Irish are such self obsessed low brows, or he would be out of a job.

foreignfield80

Wow the man who described a certain former Taoiseach as an "honourable man" now jumps on the bandwagon of our humiliation to once again tell us we are genetically inferior to all and sundry, give him no credence he has only ever sniped and denigrated at our nationhood, he is no better than the whineline callers, no answers only pathetic badly researched polemics.

loaf

Laughable generalisation + ignorance (x non-sequitur) = drivel.

The standard formula for Myers, displayed to perfection in this piece.

Schomberg

You wrote:
Myers said:
Why do few Irish Gaelic names feature in the history of mechanics?
Fir Bolg said:
As if we didn't know it already but after that sentence its definitely confirmed, that the man is a total goon.
So name me 5 Irish men with Gaelic names in the field of mechanics......

tick tock

splashy

Seems funny to me how Kevin Myers is always inviting attention to himself and has hardly done anything of real worth in his life.

He's merely an overpaid wind-up merchant.
In articles like these you can feel the resentment that he wasn't born one of those profligate 18th century Anglo-Irish types.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies