• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Naming of RTE Producer charged with under-age sex criminal

Hillmanhunter1

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillmanhunter1

Can't seem to fix typo in title.

Henry94.

The tabloids do what they can get away with but the broadsheets like to pretend to have a sense of responsibility. Cynicism aside it’s probably a tough call. Its good that he has been exposed but vigilanteism is very dangerous. I’m not sure how be can he charged given there was no victim. His punishment will be having his life and career destroyed. Is that justice? I don’t know.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The offence seems to have been detected in the UK (Leeds) where the person concerned flew to and was confronted, arrested and charged.

I don't think there is any restriction on reporting whether someone has been arrested and charged in the UK.

Not sure why the lack of naming in some Irish papers. Some lawyers at the papers doing the automatic Irish legal thing even though the charges are in the UK where there aren't the defamation dangers that exist in the Republic.

Although even in the case of the Republic I don't see why Irish newspapers cannot name the person concerned.

'Who, what, where, when, why' is relevant here in journalistic terms.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The tabloids do what they can get away with but the broadsheets like to pretend to have a sense of responsibility. Cynicism aside it’s probably a tough call. Its good that he has been exposed but vigilanteism is very dangerous. I’m not sure how he can he charged given there was no victim. His punishment will be having his life and career destroyed. Is that justice? I don’t know.
No vigilanteism here. It would be if a group of adults beat him up or something. But the police were involved here and he has been charged within the UK legal system.

If this guy did fly to Leeds to meet what he thought was a 13 year old girl then I for one don't have a lot of sympathy for his apparent plight.

johnnypockets

The offence seems to have been detected in the UK (Leeds) where the person concerned flew to and was confronted, arrested and charged.

I don't think there is any restriction on reporting whether someone has been arrested and charged in the UK.

Not sure why the lack of naming in some Irish papers. Some lawyers at the papers doing the automatic Irish legal thing even though the charges are in the UK where there aren't the defamation dangers that exist in the Republic.

Although even in the case of the Republic I don't see why Irish newspapers cannot name the person concerned.

Its a disgusting crime. I'd prefer someone to be found guilty before plastering their names across the papers. If by some chance they are innocent, the damage done by naming them will never be repaired.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Its a disgusting crime. I'd prefer someone to be found guilty before plastering their names across the papers. If by some chance they are innocent, the damage done by naming them will never be repaired.
That would be very dangerous in Ireland considering the ancient practice of finding ways to not find someone guilty. The Irish legal system is not known for its ability to either cross the t's or dot the i's when it comes to charging and securing convictions in this area.

After the Ryan Commission report it had false names given to criminals identified in abuse cases in order to 'prevent prejudice' in ensuing prosecutions.

Prosecutions which never actually came about. And which remains unexplained by the Irish legal system.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'd be very interested to hear what alternative explanation this guy might have for arranging to meet a 13 year old girl in a city in another country without adult supervision or accompaniment (it appears).

'Research', I suppose?

Even producers have rules and guidelines for interaction with children during programme making.

Hillmanhunter1

Thanks for your post. You say "I don't think there is any restriction on reporting whether someone has been arrested and charged in the UK" - do you know if such a restriction exists in Ireland? On what is it based?

johnnypockets

That would be very dangerous in Ireland considering the ancient practice of finding ways to not find someone guilty. The Irish legal system is not known for its ability to either cross the t's or dot the i's when it comes to charging and securing convictions in this area.

After the Ryan Commission report it had false names given to criminals identified in abuse cases in order to 'prevent prejudice' in ensuing prosecutions.

Prosecutions which never came about.
An innocent person should not have to pay for a rotten legal system. (not saying the person in this case is guilty/innocent. have no knowledge of the case)

Henry94.

No vigilanteism here. It would be if a group of adults beat him up or something. But the police were involved here and he has been charged within the UK legal system.

If this guy did fly to Leeds to meet what he thought was a 13 year old girl then I for one don't have a lot of sympathy for his apparent plight.
None whatsoever for him but it’s not impossible to imagine a scenario where someone could be set up from the other end and then lured under false pretenses to a meeting point. It would be hard to shake off the suspicion. Imagine being later cleared on IP address evidence that most people don’t understand.

paddycomeback

I don't want to link it, but the Videon is on heavy.com of the confrontation.
The "exposed" are thick as pig excrement Yorkies. The whole exchange is peppered with "you dirty paedophile bahr-stered" in a fake Irish accent "coming over here from Dublin, I-land, to have sex with one of OUR girls".
Yer man seems more stunned that thicko scumbags like them exist than the deep doo-doo he is in.
He might get lucky, they went a bit over the top with their anti-Irishness, their backgrounds and motivations will no doubt be pored over in court.
Let this be a lesson, you never know who you are talking to online.

Hillmanhunter1

An important lesson, but I'm really more interested in understanding better why the Irish media declined to name the man concerned.

It there a genuine legal risk, is it because it is one of their own, or is it simply that they think it is not proper to do so?

greengoose2

I don't want to link it, but the Videon is on heavy.com of the confrontation.
The "exposed" are thick as pig excrement Yorkies. The whole exchange is peppered with "you dirty paedophile bahr-stered" in a fake Irish accent "coming over here from Dublin, I-land, to have sex with one of OUR girls".
Yer man seems more stunned that thicko scumbags like them exist than the deep doo-doo he is in.
He might get lucky, they went a bit over the top with their anti-Irishness, their backgrounds and motivations will no doubt be pored over in court.
Did you read the thread from the start? Look at #3...

sheesh!

eoghanacht

The sympathy for the paedo brigade are up at it early this morning.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies