Naming of RTE Producer charged with under-age sex criminal

Apple in Eden

I wish the police were less than peripheral in such cases but that is a matter of resource. In this case the group involved did involve the police rather than take any illegal action themselves and that is just about right. One could easily say that the police are peripheral to the operation of Neighbourhood Watch system as well so should the latter be suspended?

As to the legislation I fail to see what the issue is. The person concerned is charged with offences under UK law, by UK police off the back of evidence presented by people in the UK. The accused flew into the UK amidof whichMany plenty of evidence of criminal intent. Open and shut case I'd have thought.

You can debate amendment to age of consent laws or the difference between two jurisdictional systems as much as you like but in this case there isn't a lot of room to call on any miscarriage of justice.

Good clear result and a cold wind of uncertainty will have blown across various chat rooms where others of this person's kind may have been grooming similarly.
Despite your dismissive attitude there are serious issues involved here which won't go away. Many have been put forward earlier in the thread and I won't reiterate them. I will make a couple of points however.

Firstly, I never said anything about a miscarriage of justice in this case.

Secondly, I don't know or want to know where these chat rooms are you talk about. But common sense dictates that these pervs will find a more robust system of communication as time goes by which of course will require forensic police action to accumulate evidence. This will lure the vigilantes into greyer and darker areas which will only lead to a frustration of the judicial process.

valamhic

Why do we make a hoo haa about this when we invite migrants into Ireland for whom this is normal practice?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Despite your dismissive attitude there are serious issues involved here which won't go away. Many have been put forward earlier in the thread and I won't reiterate them. I will make a couple of points however.

Firstly, I never said anything about a miscarriage of justice in this case.

Secondly, I don't know or want to know where these chat rooms are you talk about. But common sense dictates that these pervs will find a more robust system of communication as time goes by which of course will require forensic police action to accumulate evidence. This will lure the vigilantes into greyer and darker areas which will only lead to a frustration of the judicial process.
Long as it takes creeps like the guy in this case out of kiddie chat areas on the 'net I'll call that a result.

Analyzer

Why do we make a hoo haa about this when we invite migrants into Ireland for whom this is normal practice?
Instead of hoing to England he should have tried Sweden.

Then instead of being apprehended by vigilantes the vigilantes would have bullied the police into allowing him to do as he wishes.

And if he committed rapes the statistics would be fudged.

Catalpast

We are the point of seeing an individual being convicted of a virtual Crime

- against a non existent person

Is this a 1st

- and what for the Future.....?

paddycomeback

I wish the police were less than peripheral in such cases but that is a matter of resource. In this case the group involved did involve the police rather than take any illegal action themselves and that is just about right. One could easily say that the police are peripheral to the operation of Neighbourhood Watch system as well so should the latter be suspended?

As to the legislation I fail to see what the issue is. The person concerned is charged with offences under UK law, by UK police off the back of evidence presented by people in the UK. The accused flew into the UK amid plenty of evidence of criminal intent. Open and shut case I'd have thought.

You can debate amendment to age of consent laws or the difference between two jurisdictional systems as much as you like but in this case there isn't a lot of room to call on any miscarriage of justice.

Good clear result and a cold wind of uncertainty will have blown across various chat rooms where others of this person's kind may have been grooming similarly.
I explained earlier, as it stands in the UK the vigilantes cannot contact the police regarding the grooming during their operations. If they did so the defence could claim it was state entrapment (Covert Human Intelligence), like the undercover cops infiltrating eco warriors, having kids with them, driving them to demos, then subsequently the cases failing in court because they were agents provocateurs.
The vigilantes (in a legal nicety, or flimsy set up) inform the police at a certain time at a certain place, a breach of the peace might occur. Of course, the police, having nothing better to do wink wink, attend. THEN after the broadcast confrontation the vigilantes give the paedo evidence to the police.
It has been in the UK High Court, I don't know if it will be in their Supreme Court, but I expect so.

valamhic

Instead of hoing to England he should have tried Sweden.

Then instead of being apprehended by vigilantes the vigilantes would have bullied the police into allowing him to do as he wishes.

And if he committed rapes the statistics would be fudged.
I accept your point about Sweden, it turned onto a hell hole. But Rotterdam is nearer and they speak the language. 1400 white English girls targeted. Indeed there is a common arrangement in relation to prisons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

Herr Rommel

We are the point of seeing an individual being convicted of a virtual Crime

- against a non existent person

Is this a 1st

- and what for the Future.....?
No different to bait cars in America and no real child is in danger so it's a win win.

valamhic

One quarter of all Garda Siochana investigation into crime is spent investigating, reporting on and prosecution sexual crimes and there is no let up. It invades every aspect of public and private lives. For the 1st half of my life we were told the biggest crime we could commit was to slip the hand up the girl friend's skirt.

Nothing changes, except the rule makers

Dame_Enda

Apple in Eden

You could turn that argument on its head. Responsible parents should ensure that their young teenagers don't stray into areas where the creeps inhabit. When I was younger the fear of god was put into me never ever to get into a strangers car. This served me well.

Hillmanhunter1

A man who preyed on children gets sentenced .. meanwhile Gerry walks away scot-free after he enabled Liam
Did you ever go fishing? Did you catch all the fish?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies