NASA major ExoPlanet discovery - "finding a second Earth is not a matter of if, but when"

robut

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/22/14698030/nasa-seven-exoplanet-discovery-trappist-1

The first step in finding life outside our own planet is to find a planet like our own: small, rocky, and at just the right distance from the star that liquid water could exist on its surface.

That’s why an announcement today from NASA is so exciting: The space agency, along with partners around the world, has found seven potentially Earth-like planets in the sweet spot orbiting a star 40 light-years away.

“It’s the first time that so many planets of this kind are found around a same star,” Michaël Gillon, the lead author of the Nature paper announcing the discovery, said in a press conference. “The seven planets … could have some liquid water and maybe life on the surface.”

The exoplanets orbit a star in the constellation Aquarius called Trappist-1. And it’s a solar system very different from our own.

Announcement being made since 6pm LIVE HERE:

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

Main contributor said after announcing discovery "finding a second Earth is not a matter of if, but when"

FOR ANYONE WHO MISSED THIS LIVE - here you go:

[video=youtube;cURfn6FH1Hs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cURfn6FH1Hs[/video]

We are not alone anymore :D

Last edited:

silverharp

there is a lot of could of

eoghanacht

That's just one of the many The Baba Jesus built Monday afternoon.

robut

Any serious tech happening that would get us across light years .. eventually??

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There are attempts at tech all limited by the speed of light of course. I on the other hand am working on a mathematical formula which may well do the job. The idea of hurtling a tin can with a few browls in spacesuits in it the long way annoys me so I've decided a better way is to frame a mathematical answer to taking a short cut that sidesteps relativity and all that other annoying clutter.

I like the look of Trappist 'e' there. Might be decent fishing.

The Field Marshal

What a load of horse manure.

The Field Marshal

More wishful thinking.
Sigh.

Ah well.

robut

More wishful thinking.
Sigh.

Ah well.
Whats wishful thinking about it .. these planets exist in a habitable zone around a sun, thats fact as discovered by NASA.

Jeez, its exciting news if into this sort of stuff .. granted not everyones kettle of fish :D

I know .. You wanted ALIENS :D

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Wasn't there an announcement the other day that an analysis of the dwarf planet Ceres in our own solar system shows signs of having a tar-like organic matter in clusters on the surface?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Whats wishful thinking about it .. these planets exist in a habitable zone around a sun, thats fact as discovered by NASA.

Jeez, its exciting news if into this sort of stuff .. granted not everyones kettle of fish :D

I know .. You wanted ALIENS :D
Never mind Sailor and TFM. They are of the crew that would be horrified by the implications of any biological life discovered on another planet.

They have their reasons.

GDPR

I love NASA. Lets join in their song.

(spoken) Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown, And things seem hard or tough, And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft, (sung) And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough, Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving And revolving at 900 miles an hour. It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned, The sun that is the source of all our power. Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see, Are moving at a million miles a day, In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour, Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way. Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars; It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side; It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick, But out by us it's just three thousand light-years wide. We're thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point, We go 'round every two hundred million years; And our galaxy itself is one of millions of billions In this amazing and expanding universe. (waltz) Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding, In all of the directions it can whiz; As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know, Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is. So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure, How amazingly unlikely is your birth; And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Would you ever f**k off and go for a pint or something ye miserable old bollocks
It is a peculiar truism in life that the people who would most benefit from a blowjob in life are those least likely ever to be offered one. I think it was Confucius who said that.

Or it might have been a fellow down the pub. Anyway. They are both right.

RepublicOfLuas

It is a peculiar truism in life that the people who would most benefit from a blowjob in life are those least likely ever to be offered one. I think it was Confucius who said that.

Or it might have been a fellow down the pub. Anyway. They are both right.
"LSD causes mental health problems for those who have never taken it"

New Threads