NASA to host press conference to discuss 'exceptional object in cosmic neighborhood'

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 12:30 p.m. EST on Monday, Nov. 15, to discuss the Chandra X-ray Observatory's discovery of an exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood.

NASA - NASA Announces Televised Chandra News Conference

A lot of speculation that it's a supernova or very young black hole. Exceptional makes it sound like it could be something out of the ordinary, perhaps a predicted object that hasn't been see as yet.

I'm doubting it's little green men as it wouldn't be NASA announcing that one.

Apologies if this has been posted already.

TradCat

The Intergalactic Monetary Fund are coming to sort out Ireland. Cowen says there was no need to come all this way, we're grand.

Bill D Gallows

The Intergalactic Monetary Fund are coming to sort out Ireland. Cowen says there was no need to come all this way, we're grand.
Maybe they'll do to Leinster House what they did to the White House in Independence Day.....Live long and Prosper (not)!

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/10_releases/press_111510.html

Press Image and Caption
Evidence for the youngest known black hole in our cosmic neighborhood has been found using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and other telescopes. The age and proximity of this object could provide astronomers with a unique opportunity to watch a black hole develop during its infancy.

The object in question is associated with SN 1979C, a supernova in the galaxy M100 discovered by an amateur astronomer in 1979. While many likely new black holes in the distant Universe have been detected in the form of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs), this nascent black hole candidate is much closer, at a distance of only 50 million light years from Earth.

Data from Chandra, as well as NASA's Swift, the European Space Agency's XMM-Newton and the German ROSAT observatory revealed a bright source of X-rays that has remained steady for the 12 years from 1995 to 2007 over which it has been observed. This behavior and the X-ray spectrum, or distribution of X-rays with energy, support the idea that the object is a black hole being fed either by material falling back into the black hole after the supernova, or from a binary companion.

"If our interpretation is correct, this is the nearest example where the birth of a black hole has been observed," said Daniel Patnaude of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass. who led the study.

The scientists think that SN 1979C formed when a star about 20 times more massive than the Sun collapsed. It was a particular type of supernova where the exploded star had ejected some, but not all of its outer, hydrogen- rich envelope before the explosion, so it is unlikely to have been associated with a GRB. Supernovas have sometimes been associated with GRBs, but only where the exploded star had completely lost its hydrogen envelope.

"This may be the first time that the common way of making a black hole has been observed," said coauthor Abraham Loeb, also of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Most black holes in the Universe should form when the core of a star collapses and a gamma-ray burst is not produced."

The idea of a black hole with an observed age of only about 30 years is consistent with some re

Doodah

That's all we need today. Another black hole. This should be in the Economics forum.

johnfás

That's all we need today. Another black hole. This should be in the Economics forum.
Don't write off the black hole as a potential investor in our economy. We need to exploit all possible avenues of advantage. It might be interested in sucking up some of our ghost estates thus bringing equilibrium to the property market.

Ah Well

It might be interested in sucking up some of our ghost estates thus bringing equilibrium to the property market.
I can think of a better more immediate use for it .... use your imagination

Hint - would negative the need for an Election :)

FakeViking

I heard the CockRoche on radio earlier talking about comets, maybe this is what he meant!

Glucose

We don't need to pay our bills:(

meriwether

I misread the title as 'NAMA host press conference to discuss exceptional object in the cosmic neighbourhood'.

I presumed the exceptional item was a performing loan somewhere in the universe, possibly in a galaxy far, far away.

Glucose

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Dave is creating hysteria..............Senator O' Brolchain was correct.

P.ie causes a second "War of the worlds".

;)

MsAnneThrope

I misread the title as 'NAMA host press conference to discuss exceptional object in the cosmic neighbourhood'.

I presumed the exceptional item was a performing loan somewhere in the universe, possibly in a galaxy far, far away.
:D

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Dave is creating hysteria..............Senator O' Brolchain was correct.

P.ie causes a second "War of the worlds".

;)
The chances of IMF coming to Ireland
Are a million to one he said
The chances of IMF coming to Ireland
Are a million to one...

...and still they come!

Echolalia

I can think of a better more immediate use for it .... use your imagination

Hint - would negative the need for an Election :)
Do you mean? "Under the Recently discovered threat of an immanent black hole we have, in the National Interest, decided to call a state of national emergency and are declaring Martial Law":rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies