Nasty Human Behaviour ? Forget isis, Trump, Hitler, Stalin, HipHop or Punk Rockers. Blame Darwin.

Hunter-Gatherer

And so, in the light of yet another terrorist attack upon Western Civilisation we scratch our heads and ask ourselves what we can do to prevent the radicalisation of disaffected young men. As if a few philosophy discussions and a cup of tea could make the problems all go away.

But the problem is not out there, far away and over the hills. It is in the very wiring of our species, like very many other species. Darwin cracked the puzzle. After learning about other animals, he then turns the spotlight onto ourselves. And what we saw was not a beautiful and perfect creature built in the image of God. He saw a nasty and violent ape whose very successes came from that aggressive background. Not nice, but true. Our greatest mistake is to fail to learn the lessons of history. Our biology is our history, and frighteningly the biggest influence upon our future.

Discuss

http://darwin-online.org.uk/converted/pdf/1861_OriginNY_F382.pdf

GDPR

What are you talking about, you loon? People live in cities many millions strong and dont go mad, running round raping and killing each other.

If you put a few hundred chimps together, you would see some violence that would scare the life out of you.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
What are you talking about, you loon? People live in cities many millions strong and dont go mad, running round raping and killing each other.

If you put a few hundred chimps together, you would see some violence that would scare the life out of you.
Or indeed a couple of dozen unsupervised youths on a desert island for a few weeks, if William Golding is to be believed (and he is).

SamsonS

Is it not about the manipulation of those millions, or 10's of thourands , or 10's of hundreds, through all sorts of mechanisms and for different reasons? History is full of what would be perceived as advanced and settled communities living together for long periods of time with either one off or recurring occasions when that norm is changed.

benroe

And so, in the light of yet another terrorist attack upon Western Civilisation we scratch our heads and ask ourselves what we can do to prevent the radicalisation of disaffected young men. As if a few philosophy discussions and a cup of tea could make the problems all go away.

But the problem is not out there, far away and over the hills. It is in the very wiring of our species, like very many other species. Darwin cracked the puzzle. After learning about other animals, he then turns the spotlight onto ourselves. And what we saw was not a beautiful and perfect creature built in the image of God. He saw a nasty and violent ape whose very successes came from that aggressive background. Not nice, but true. Our greatest mistake is to fail to learn the lessons of history. Our biology is our history, and frighteningly the biggest influence upon our future.

Discuss

Science forges ahead while most wallow in the muck of ideology, one of which is trying to absolve people of their responsibilities by telling them its not their fault that they are poor or oppressed, its the fault of the patriarchy, globalism and capitalism, not because they are lazy and violent.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Is it not about the manipulation of those millions, or 10's of thourands , or 10's of hundreds, through all sorts of mechanisms and for different reasons? History is full of what would be perceived as advanced and settled communities living together for long periods of time with either one off or recurring occasions when that norm is changed.
I don't think the veneer is particularly thin, but the consequences when it's punctured are catastrophic (see WWII).

GDPR

Surprisingly, it takes an awful lot to reduce a civilisation to a state of Mad Max-style chaos.

It is by no means as easy as you think. People survived as a species because they are hard-wired to co-operate in groups, not rip each others heads off.

Strawberry

Even if we were all nasty and violent I don't get why we would be blaming Darwin? Surely that's just blaming the messanger.

statsman

Discuss

Blame Darwin: the ultimate in shooting the messenger.

Do we also blame Darwin for the Taj Mahal, Homer, Joni Mitchell, and Vermeer?

SamsonS

I don't think the veneer is particularly thin, but the consequences when it's punctured are catastrophic (see WWII).
Would agree with that for those reasons-for example, the type of "choices" that have been given in conflicts - murder your neighbours, or we'll murder them and then murder you and your family. (I use the word murder to cover the extremes)

GDPR

The "Origin of Species" doesnt discuss human beings at all. It wasnt until "The Descent of Man" that Darwin got round to that.

All the book does is claim that all living species share a common ancestor.

Armchair Activist

Survival not of the fittest but survival of those who best work together.

Our world is built on the efforts of collaboration.

eoghanacht

That's nothing compared to Penguins.

Diiirty Bastids.

eoghanacht

Survival not of the fittest but survival of those who best work together.

Our world is built on the efforts of collaboration.
Exactly, I remember watching a documentary on wolves and what I found really interesting was the way the packed travelled.

In my ignorance I assumed the alpha lead the pack but the weaker older ones do, it's them that set the pace so none got separated from the pack.

GDPR

Exactly, I remember watching a documentary on wolves and what I found really interesting was the way the packed travelled.

In my ignorance I assumed the alpha lead the pack but the weaker older ones do, it's them that set the pace so none got separated from the pack.
"Survival of the fittest" is one of the most misunderstood terms. It does not mean the most aggressive or violent. It can mean anything from the best camouflaged, to the most fecund to the cleverest or the most co-operative. Forget Rambo - think Einstein or Gandhi.

New Threads

Most Replies