Nasty knife attack in Kildare being treated as homophobic

Blokesbloke

I was tuning in to listen to Livelive (for the first time ever - already heard someone say "yoot" for "youth" which delighted me.

Anyway the headlines before it referenced this attack.

I was shocked at how savage it seemed.

Is knife crime a big problem in Ireland?

I still have a rose-tinted view of Ireland, at least outside the big cities, as being quite a peaceful, low-crime place. Sigh.

Last edited:

blinding

We are expecting knife crime to get much worse. Our society tends to copy British society so basically there will be more knife crime.

Blokesbloke

We are expecting knife crime to get much worse. Our society tends to copy British society so basically there will be more knife crime.
It's so depressing. What's going on? What's the matter with people? I don't understand it.

I had a run-in with a local chav the other day and got quite depressed. It made me want to leave Birmingham, but is it just the same everywhere else?

Are there any places left where people are still daycent?

blinding

For some reason politicians seem to have decided that they do not need to keep people safe from knife crime . There was a time when people expected to be kept safe but now they give the politicians a free ride. I suppose people get the politicians that they allow to rule over them.

MsDaisyC

I was tuning in to listen to Livelive (for the first time ever - already heard someone say "yoot" for "youth" which delighted me.

I still have a rose-tinted view of Ireland, at least outside the big cities, as being quite a peaceful, low-crime place. Sigh.

Knife crime is nothing new in Ireland, stabbings have been going on for decades. Remember when Limerick was called Stab City? In fact, stabbing attacks are decreasing.

This thread is just another excuse for racist dogwhistling.

Blokesbloke

Knife crime is nothing new in Ireland, stabbings have been going on for decades. Remember when Limerick was called Stab City? In fact, stabbing attacks are decreasing.

This thread is just another excuse for racist dogwhistling
I beg your pardon?

Are you telling me the attackers aren't white Irish? If you are, it's news to me as I didn't see any mention of it in the article and I had no idea who the attackers were.

I'd appreciate an apology.

blinding

I beg your pardon?

Are you telling me the attackers aren't white Irish? If you are, it's news to me as I didn't see any mention of it in the article and I had no idea who the attackers were.

I'd appreciate an apology.
I have no idea who / what colour the attackers were in this situation. The Irish Media do not describe the ethnicity / colour of perpetrators of crime.

Blokesbloke

I have no idea who / what colour the attackers were in this situation. The Irish Media do not describe the ethnicity / colour of perpetrators of crime.
Neither did I. I genuinely didn't even think about the attackers ethnicity.

It just seemed a particularly nasty attack and the knife and homopobic elements seemed especially worrying. I'd assumed such things were confined to the bigger cities, especially Dublin.

Then someone starts accusing me of dog-whistle racism.

Strikes me it's not me who has a racist attitude. I wasn't the one who even thought about their race, much less assumed the offenders weren't white Irish.

blinding

Neither did I. I genuinely didn't even think about the attackers ethnicity.

It just seemed a particularly nasty attack and the knife and homopobic elements seemed especially worrying. I'd assumed such things were confined to the bigger cities, especially Dublin.

Then someone starts accusing me of dog-whistle racism.

Strikes me it's not me who has a racist attitude. I wasn't the one who even thought about their race, much less assumed the offenders weren't white Irish.
I know that you were perfectly fair and honest in your post and were not dog whistling. Don’t let it get to you.

Blokesbloke

If it helps, the local chav I was talking about having a run-in with in my second post was white British Brummie!

It was him who made me want to move away - and it is was his behaviour which made me want to go, not his colour - since I judge people on how they behave and not what colour they are.

Jack Walsh

Ireland is one of the safest and most tolerant countries in the world.
The reason why horrible attacks like this immediately get so much deserved coverage is our low tolerance for such and a desire to highlight it and jail the perpetrators
There are plenty countries where such an attack would be shugged off or barely reported

Don't lose faith, we have come a long way, the number of knuckle draggers gets smaller by the day

Look at the election results, the bigot parties (dressed up as "patriots") performed abysmally, yet again

Last edited:

Emily Davison

This thread is just another excuse for racist dogwhistling.
I’m missing the racist angle?

I get the distinct impression Ireland is more violent now. Places we would have walked we are warned not to. Bouncers everywhere.

Blokesbloke

Appreciate away! You've been on here long enough to know that starting a thread on stabbings that will into another anti Islam tirade.
Appreciate away! You've been on here long enough to know that starting a thread on stabbings that will into another anti Islam tirade.
If the first thing you thought of when you read about a homophobic stabbing is Islam, then you'e the one with a prejudice problem and not me.

Nobody has said a word about Islam on this thread except you. So congratulations, you're the one who made the first Islamphobic comment and had the first Islamophobic thought.

The article didn't mention Islam, I didn't mention Islam and I didn't assume it was an Islamic attack. The explicit reason given was homophobia, which is hardly unique to Islam.

Don't project your bigotry onto me.

Onto ignore with you, weirdo.

Blokesbloke

Some people are very touchy !
Not touchy, just seeing things that aren't there.

I literally had no idea what that poster meant. From the context I assumed she was saying that she assumed I was dog-whistling racism but I was clueless as to which group she was fantasizing I was dog-whistling about. I assumed not white Irish but I genunely didn't know what she meant beyond that - though I know travellers come in for a lot of stick of this site when crime/violence is mentioned so could have been white Irish.

Turns out she reads about a homophobic stabbing and the first thing she thinks of is Islam, which apparently makes me the prejudiced one.

I take it then that no knife attack may now be discussed on P.ie because this poster is immediately made to think of Islam, which bothers her so she projects her bigotry onto someone else.

Last edited:

edg

Are there any mods available to intervene here?

Blokesbloke is one of the best posters on this site. He does not deserve the lies and abuse he is getting.

What started as a good thread has turned into literal madness.

reg11

Some people's antennae are too attuned for racism/Islamophobia it seems. If somebody read such into the OP then it's that person who obviously has a problem.

Back on topic, things have vastly improved for gay people in Ireland.

Blokesbloke

I do know that things are much better for gay peope in Ireland, that's why the story shocked me.

I'm not sure a referendum on gay marriage would have passed in the UK, and I'm sure it wouldn't have passed with the percentage it did in Ireland. The progress Ireland has made on gay rights is astonishing.

I think I was shocked on a few levels.

For a start, I'm not daft enough to think that gay people don't still get subjected to some hassle. However a stabbing seemed particularly extreme.

I also thought that whilst places like Dublin tend to have more of a "gay scene" and so seem more tolerant, inevitably as a bigger city they also have more violence and crime. If it had happend in Dublin it would be just as bad but I'd probably have been less shocked.

So such a serious attack with a knife in what I understand to be a small town just seemed to be newsworthy.

And as I said, after my own (comparatively very, very trivial) encounter with a local (white, British accent, didn't ask his religion) feral youth, it had made me feel fed up with living in a big city and lusting after moving somewhere "nicer", which to a person born and raised in a big city I suppose inevitably is going to be a unrealistic vision of somewhere a lot smaller.

However it makes me wonder if it's just a daft fantasy - are there any "safe" areas anymore? Any small places where people know each other and you're not likely to get stabbed in the street?

It was really the brutality of the attack combined with the location which got to me.

I suppose it was really a thread about the false perception some city dwellers have that there's a nicer, more innocent place out there.

Perhaps there isn't.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies