Nasty knife attack in Kildare being treated as homophobic

Strawberry

The judge should reflect on how much his decision influenced the further crime.

No doubt the scum thought he was untouchable after he'd literally got away with murder.

I wonder if that judge is still alive and if he ever reflects on his actions.

He must really have despised gay people to allow someone to murder one and get away with it.

Even your average homophobic judge would probably have blanched at doing that.
You should read some of the comments he made. They were "from good families", they had "distinguished careers in the Air Corp", "serving their country", and best of all " this sentence is not a justification of queer bashing, whatever that is."

I think that woman wouldn't have been raped if the first judge had done his job properly.

Emily Davison

BB it was a very different ireland. You have to understand that. The best and the brightest couldn’t wait to leave. This horrific case is a reflection of how backward we were. But that case caused changes. Because people were so horrified with it. Just think it’s taken more than two decades for women and gay men to feel fully equal and at ease in a liberal kinder world.

recedite

I wonder if this is knife crime at all, looking at the photo. The guy looks like he has been stabbed with a pencil, in the knee.
Anyway still a serious enough assault. So presumably if the Gardai knew the attackers, as stated in the newspaper article, they went immediately to confiscate the attacker's phones, and are now using the video footage as evidence to secure a conviction.
And if the courts treat it as a serious assault, a custodial sentence will follow.
So no need at all for any extra legislation to make attacking gay couples illegal.

Marcos the black

It's so depressing. What's going on? What's the matter with people? I don't understand it.

I had a run-in with a local chav the other day and got quite depressed. It made me want to leave Birmingham, but is it just the same everywhere else?

Are there any places left where people are still daycent?
Come over to Ireland. You're more than welcome and we have a new govt now so you'll have no taxes to pay, we're all to get a free house, each family will have their own hospital and if you don't pay back borrowings that you owe, they'll stop the lender taking back the asset.
It's going to be epic.

recedite

A pencil!

Why a feckin' pencil?
It just reminded me of my school days, and the many pencil attacks I suffered. And inflicted on others. We always used to carry pencil sharpeners in our pockets, so pencils would be super sharp at all times...:whistle:

Rural

So no need at all for any extra legislation to make attacking gay couples illegal.
I don't think that anyone on this thread ever suggested that such a thing was necessary. The law is there, Judges are the ones who don't seem to take the law seriously. Well they do when it comes to property.

And, Gardaí always say they know the perpetrators of every crime (I have a story for another time), whether they or (most likely) don't is beside the point. Everyone should be free to go about their own business without being attacked.

Rural

Come over to Ireland. You're more than welcome and we have a new govt now so you'll have no taxes to pay, we're all to get a free house, each family will have their own hospital and if you don't pay back borrowings that you owe, they'll stop the lender taking back the asset.
It's going to be epic.
You're getting hysterical there Marcos.

Breathe in, now breathe out. That's better.

Dearghoul

It just reminded me of my school days, and the many pencil attacks I suffered. And inflicted on others....:whistle:
Words fail.

"When I was a nipper, we used to attack each other with pencils so as to draw blood. Nothing was thought of it. Obviously this is a pencil attack, which pencil, was cleverly brought to the station from the mid Twentieth Century"?

Jee Ziss!

Go in peace and post no more.

recedite

I don't think that anyone on this thread ever suggested that such a thing was necessary. The law is there, Judges are the ones who don't seem to take the law seriously. Well they do when it comes to property.

And, Gardaí always say they know the perpetrators of every crime (I have a story for another time), whether they or (most likely) don't is beside the point. Everyone should be free to go about their own business without being attacked.
I'm getting that from the newspaper link in the OP...
The attack has led to more people speaking out in favour of Ireland introducing tougher legislation when it comes to hate crime, with the Chief Executive of LGBT Ireland, Paula Fagin, saying in a statement:
“We have been raising the need for hate-crime legislation with general election candidates from all parties over the past two weeks, calling on them to make it a top priority if they are elected.
“This brutal attack last evening should signal to politicians that urgent action is needed to send out a clear message that hate crimes will not be tolerated in this country.”
It is believed that the people involved in the attack, who allegedly filmed the incident on a phone, are known to Gardaí.
IMO what we need is proper enforcement of existing laws, with proper punishments, not revolving doors.

recedite

Words fail.

"When I was a nipper, we used to attack each other with pencils so as to draw blood. Nothing was thought of it. Obviously this is a pencil attack, which pencil, was cleverly brought to the station from the mid Twentieth Century"?

Jee Ziss!

Go in peace and post no more.
I'll have you know I still use a graphite writing stick daily. Albeit a plastic propelling one, so its very inferior as a weapon.

Rural

I'm getting that from the newspaper link in the OP...
They have a point when you think of the Declan Flynn case. But it's not more legislation that's needed, the judges just need to take this seriously.

But judges don;t take attacks on homosexuals seriously or paedophilia seriously or rape on women seriously. The legislation is there, the judges are warped.

recedite

They have a point when you think of the Declan Flynn case. But it's not more legislation that's needed, the judges just need to take this seriously.

But judges don;t take attacks on homosexuals seriously or paedophilia seriously or rape on women seriously. The legislation is there, the judges are warped.
That's going back a while, to a different world. 1982.
But I agree the judges are out of touch with the real world. And the whole system is set up to provide a good living for the legal profession, not to provide justice for the people. The revolving door system is like a spinning $ dollar sign to them.

New Threads

Most Replies