Nasty knife attack in Kildare being treated as homophobic

Rural

That's going back a while, to a different world. 1982.
But I agree the judges are out of touch with the real world. And the whole system is set up to provide a good living for the legal profession, not to provide justice for the people. The revolving door system is like a spinning $ dollar sign to them.

Remember the lads who kicked another lad to death outside a nightclub in Dublin?

That was the 90s and they got off scott free. Many women don't report rapes anymore because of what will happen to them in the court. People who were sexually attacked as children are now keeping their horrors to themselves.

There's a Judge called Martin Nolan who has never jailed a convicted paedophile.

Dearghoul

So again, where was I whingeing?
Look Marcos, and not to put too fine point on it, If you've something to say about this incident then out with it.

Everything that you've produced here so far is vaguely to do with the election result, about which, go hurt somewhere else.

Marcos the black

Look Marcos, and not to put too fine point on it, If you've something to say about this incident then out with it.

Everything that you've produced here so far is vaguely to do with the election result, about which, go hurt somewhere else.
So... No whingeing then, as you claimed.
Thanks.

Dearghoul

So... No whingeing then, as you claimed.
Thanks.
Jesus man have you the slightest bit of self awareness?

Each of your four posts is a barb against Sinn Fein wrapped in something muslin thin and nominally on topic.

I thought the guy with the pencils was bad..

Wagmore

Not touchy, just seeing things that aren't there.

I literally had no idea what that poster meant. From the context I assumed she was saying that she assumed I was dog-whistling racism but I was clueless as to which group she was fantasizing I was dog-whistling about. I assumed not white Irish but I genunely didn't know what she meant beyond that - though I know travellers come in for a lot of stick of this site when crime/violence is mentioned so could have been white Irish.

Turns out she reads about a homophobic stabbing and the first thing she thinks of is Islam, which apparently makes me the prejudiced one.

I take it then that no knife attack may now be discussed on P.ie because this poster is immediately made to think of Islam, which bothers her so she projects her bigotry onto someone else.
Exactly. That's what happens when the Thought Fascists are given an inch.

Wagmore

I was tuning in to listen to Livelive (for the first time ever - already heard someone say "yoot" for "youth" which delighted me.

Anyway the headlines before it referenced this attack.

I was shocked at how savage it seemed.

Is knife crime a big problem in Ireland?

I still have a rose-tinted view of Ireland, at least outside the big cities, as being quite a peaceful, low-crime place. Sigh.

Not going with the hate crime BS though. Would love to see the people(and I use the term loosely) who did this strung up but why not just investigate as a crime that should not have happened.

Blokesbloke

Remember the lads who kicked another lad to death outside a nightclub in Dublin?

That was the 90s and they got off scott free. Many women don't report rapes anymore because of what will happen to them in the court. People who were sexually attacked as children are now keeping their horrors to themselves.

There's a Judge called Martin Nolan who has never jailed a convicted paedophile.
I decided a long time ago that if I was ever raped, I would not report it to the police.

I admire those who do, but the likelihood of conviction is tiny and the sentences given for the few that do result in conviction are inadequate.

Blokesbloke

That judge needs to be looked into. There's something troubling about that.

Politics matters

Horrible attack on a gay man in an apparent hate-crime on RTE now.

But, why did he highlight that they were white? Of course, they are likely to be white. Irish people are white, are they not?

Splodge

But, why did he highlight that they were white? Of course, they are likely to be white. Irish people are white, are they not?
FFS. Has this imbecile ever heard of Paul Mc Grath, Phil Lynott etc etc etc?

Golah veNekhar

We both know the answer to that and I do not think that anyone is going to "bite".

Politics matters

FFS. Has this imbecile ever heard of Paul Mc Grath, Phil Lynott etc etc etc?
Yes yes, but, why is the lad calling them white? Of course, they are white.

Its seems in certain quarters that it is appropriate to call 'straight white men' the route of all evil.

I am not surprised this attacks and the one in the OP is getting attention in the media. For one thing, it keeps LGBT rights organisations in the business. But, secondly, it highlights that these (thankfully) are rare events. In primitive African/Muslim countries, they don't get attention because they happen all the time.

Half Nelson

The reporter also called it "a homophobic attack" with no evidence other than the victim is gay. It was pure spin.

He also cannot tell the difference between "incidents" and "incidences".

RTE, eh.

Dearghoul

The Gardai have confirmed that the attack appeared to be homophobic, and that the perps were known to them.

Now what is it, in your vast experience of stabbing incidents that leads you to conclude that you and your enabler 'Blinding' know so much more than AGS in this instance about this incident?

Splodge

The Gardai have confirmed that the attack appeared to be homophobic, and that the perps were known to them.

Now what is it, in your vast experience of stabbing incidents that leads you to conclude that you and your enabler 'Blinding' know so much more than AGS in this instance about this incident?
Both of them are homophobic and racist?

Dame_Enda

When you see the role of known and named Islamists in the anti LGBT school protests in the UK, it cannot be ruled out that this has something to do with the motives for some homophobic attacks in this country. Far Right elements are also a possibility. Some of those involved in the school protests were also reportedly involved in the Trojan Horse scandal in the UK, which had the intention of importing radical Islamism into UK schools.

What has to grasped in this discussion is that international studies have shown that the more religious a culture is, the more homophobic it tends to me. This is seen especially in the Islamic world, where homosexuality is almost always criminalised. Relativist arguments about how gays were criminalised in Ireland before 1995 do not alter that fact.

Also. we can't separate the issue from the growth of knife crime, and the lack of legislation to address it. The failure of the judiciary to adequately punish it is part of the problem. Whatever the statistics say, we know a lot of crime goes unreported, and that the accuracy of Garda crime statistics (especially in rural Ireland) was exposed as poor under previous recent justice ministers. When FG was saying that crime was falling in rural Ireland, the rural people of Ireland knew from personal experience this was fake news.

The OD

Come over to Ireland. You're more than welcome and we have a new govt now so you'll have no taxes to pay, we're all to get a free house, each family will have their own hospital and if you don't pay back borrowings that you owe, they'll stop the lender taking back the asset.
It's going to be epic.
Have you tried preparation H?

New Threads

Most Replies