Nasty knife attack in Kildare being treated as homophobic

Dame_Enda

Are you serious - You really think there are homophobic crimes like this one, being committed in Kildare in protest at UK schools policy?

Jesus wept.
Thats a straw man argument. I am referring to parallels rather than ties between the two specific cases.

rainmaker

Administrator
Thats a straw man argument. I am referring to parallels rather than ties between the two specific cases.
No, you are not drawing parallels - you directly linked the two:
When you see the role of known and named Islamists in the anti LGBT school protests in the UK, it cannot be ruled out that this has something to do with the motives for some homophobic attacks in this country.
No misrepresentation whatsoever.

Dame_Enda

No, you are not drawing parallels - you directly linked the two: No misrepresentation whatsoever.
No, you are not drawing parallels - you directly linked the two: No misrepresentation whatsoever.
I meant that it couldnt be ruled out that the same ideologies were at play in both the attack in Ireland and the protests in the UK i.e. Islamist homophobia. Ultimately we wont know until the persons concerned in Ireland are brought to justice.

toughbutfair

I think there is a massive difference between a random attack and the deliberate targeting of an individual simply because of their very identity.

But as you say, at least 99% of people would be safe so alls well (although quite how you know gay people make up only 1% of the population I don't know).
The 1% is a guess, no official statistics. In any event, I believe that attacking gays is wrong even if they are making out in public. However, I don't see the logic in saying that seeking them out makes it worse than a random attack. A random attack could affect any of us or our friends. That said, just to avoid doubt, I condemn the attack unconditionally.

Blokesbloke

Is the O.P claiming the attack is worse if it is was committed by someone who hated gays (“phobia” is such a silly suffix ) rather than if was a random attack? While I disapprove of attacking gays, at least 99% of us would be safe from such attacks. The attack was wrong though.
No.

Dearghoul

The 1% is a guess, no official statistics. In any event, I believe that attacking gays is wrong even if they are making out in public. However, I don't see the logic in saying that seeking them out makes it worse than a random attack. A random attack could affect any of us or our friends. That said, just to avoid doubt, I condemn the attack unconditionally.
It's a guess.

1% of the people you know are gay!

Well that is interesting as and of itself.

Rural

I know what you meant by the OP.

When people are attacked they are shouted at, it's not really random, it's all about - "Gimme your fancy smartphone/wallet/purse" or "I hate you because you have (insert something/someone they covet) that I want", or "You're gay/foreign/black/disabled/elderly/different, so I'm supposed to hate you"

What these people are really trying to say is "I am either very envious or that I'm a bit scared". It all comes down to ignorance.

I worked in a bank (back in the day) and when we were raided by the robbing type (other than the top officials), we were shouted at a lot, it was very scary, but they were scared themselves, which made them shout even louder and all they could shout about was what they wanted, i.e., that we stayed quiet and that we gave them the money, without argument.

That's what the ignorant do when they want something, hate something, fear something, the shout at it and hit it. So these lads would have known exactly why they were being attacked, it would have been shouted in their faces just before the lad was knifed.

Thankfully, the rest of us are much more reasonable and intelligent.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies