National Broadband - is this amazing leadership, electioneering or a corrupt waste of tax - what do you think?

The NBP as is currently proposed looks like a bad deal for the tax payers

• Yes

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

hiding behind a poster

id actually say the key point is whether or not the BB plan justifies putting essential services such as schools, primary care centres and ambulances on hold
Which it isn't doing.

hiding behind a poster

You know that old expression "excusing is loosing"...well, you seem to be doing a LOT of excusing for what most now judge to be a very poor decision by the government.
Really, most who, exactly? And at least I'm dealing in facts. You're just throwing wild accusations around, all the while knowingly tapping your own nose to suggest you might know something.

jmcc

Lowry is 20 years out of FG, no tax law was broken re CGT, and what was wrong with Esat?
O'Brien's payments to Lowry? Information provided by Lowry? But to an FG shill like yourself, that's all an acceptable part of a day's business in FG, isn't it?

Orbit v2

Interesting piece, which if correct, does deal with the ownership question to an extent. It kind of makes sense in that the value of the network can only be based on the revenue that you can make out if it, rather than the cost that you put into it.

jmcc

Interesting piece, which if correct, does deal with the ownership question to an extent. It kind of makes sense in that the value of the network can only be based on the revenue that you can make out if it, rather than the cost that you put into it.
From the Dindo by a non-tech? Let's see an alternative analysis before making any such decisions.

wombat

From the Dindo by a non-tech? Let's see an alternative analysis before making any such decisions.
It doesn't matter who says what, we want a conspiracy, we will have one

wombat

It was Bruton who came up with the value - based on it being about 10% of Eir's installations and Eir sold for 3b, its an order of magnitude figure, not a detailed analysis but its a reasonable estimate.

jmcc

You're the one looking for UFOs, found any lately?
Well this PC is currently tracking 17 aircraft (all identified) overhead using some rather advanced electronics and a rather simple homebrew antenna made from a few pieces of cable. If I see any, I'll let you know. :)

redneck

There are some people who will use rural broadband not for good- but for nefarious purposes. Some people say in Listowel, who might not be looking up company share prices or sports results, but the "dark" side of the web.

Baron von Biffo

There are some people who will use rural broadband not for good- but for nefarious purposes. Some people say in Listowel, who might not be looking up company share prices or sports results, but the "dark" side of the web.
Wasn't there a Dublin banker once who used his office computer to look at things beyond a strict interpretation of his role?

artfoley56

Ehhhh, we're talking about other telecoms/infrastructure companies here, not the citizens of North Korea. Given the current publicity about the NBP, any company that could do the same job for less would most definitely be letting the world know.
who said it was north korea. we're talking about the republic of nod and wink. silence will be rewarded in other ways

wombat

Returning from a walk along the East pier in Dun Laoghaire, I was looking at the progress being made on the old baths' site. Another waste of money, no chance of anything like a return on the investment but it will be a very pleasant facility for those who use it - one person's waste of money is another's public amenity.

artfoley56

Wasn't there a Dublin banker once who used his office computer to look at things beyond a strict interpretation of his role?
and he would've got away with it if it wasn't for the pesky IT lads whose terms and conditions he had ridden a horse and four through a few months previous.

moral of the story: never p1$$ off IT

artfoley56

Returning from a walk along the East pier in Dun Laoghaire, I was looking at the progress being made on the old baths' site. Another waste of money, no chance of anything like a return on the investment but it will be a very pleasant facility for those who use it - one person's waste of money is another's public amenity.
itll attract footfall to dun laoghaire which in turn will help the local businesses and it wont cost anything like 5bn or enrich people who don't have kitchens.

a more apt comparator would be the lexicon

deepness

I disagree. Failed installations are caused by little problems like blocked ducts and trees in the way, which have simple solutions, albeit ones that can take time to implement. I'd be curious to know if there is a single case of a failed installation that had no technical solution possible.

This type of issue should not be a concern for a 25+ year project.

As regards cuts and breaks, I'm sure that happens, and I notice that Eir has spent quite a bit of money putting cables underground where I live (in a rural area). That's up to the contractor to decide. The trade-off is up front cost and less maintenance long term versus the other way round. Again, not something that should be a consideration when deciding on the technology imo.

On future proofing, I repeat the point, when dialup modems were all we had, DSL and broadband generally was on the horizon. We knew it was coming. There is nothing on the horizon to replace fibre. Wireless is snake-oil. Every generation promises the earth and delivers only incremental improvements, but has no prospect imo of solving the scalability problem.
Thats not what you said though, you said it worked everywhere. It doesn't. If it did, this plan wouldnt include an element of wireless for the last 5-10% and you know what, like the spend on this that figure will grow.. That's not solely down to cost either,.

As regards, trees and ducts being "little problems". Thats way off the mark, if you knew the expense people have to go to to get a duct unblocked, a collapsed duct replaced or to get rid of big trees where its OTA....and thats in areas where fibre is viable..

When you get to dedicated business connections its even worse..the civils can be extensive and expensive.

As regards cuts and breaks, it happens frequently, even underground, but more so from the DP to the customers premises....and for a multitude of reasons.

Wireless works very well when its done right but its not always done right. Despite the perception of most, wireless is used for backhaul in fixed networks. People seem to disregard that or just not know or care. Thats why Eir, Vodafone, Virgin etc have a presence on high sites. Its not all for mobile.

5G is not proven in any shape or form, or disproven either for that matter, so no-one can say its going to be a solution yet or not. No-one, not you or I, or Leo or Dickie Bruton.

However, It will always be short range which is why it needs so many access points, but it doesnt need big masts everywhere either like is being touted. It is unproven, just like low orbit sattelite but to say there is nothing being tested or on the horizon to replace or compete with fibre is just plain wrong.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom