National Broadband - is this amazing leadership, electioneering or a corrupt waste of tax - what do you think?

The NBP as is currently proposed looks like a bad deal for the tax payers

• Yes

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

wombat

According to Eir, based on their experience of rolling out broadband to 300k homes, they can deliver the balance of the national broadband plan for €1bn, not €5bn as currently proposed. Can anyone think of a reason not to take them up on the offer? I'm curious as to why they weren't low bidder on the project, is it an offer too good to be true?

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

According to Eir, based on their experience of rolling out broadband to 300k homes, they can deliver the balance of the national broadband plan for €1bn, not €5bn as currently proposed. Can anyone think of a reason not to take them up on the offer? I'm curious as to why they weren't low bidder on the project, is it an offer too good to be true?
Eir has thousands of short poles that will carry wire. Those are vulnerable to tractors and trucks pulling those wires down and leaving you without internet. They have to replace all those with taller poles. Now or later.

Dame_Enda

Eir has thousands of short poles that will carry wire. Those are vulnerable to tractors and trucks pulling those wires down and leaving you without internet. They have to replace all those with taller poles. Now or later.
Yes and allowing Eir to do this will further entrench their existing monopoly on broadband infrastructure, one that was created when Telecom Eireann was privatised while letting them retain control of the local loop.

wombat

I see that Eir still say they can deliver 100% rural broadband for €1bn but not on the terms of the NBP. I wonder what the unacceptable terms are? I'm sceptical but I still wonder is it a change of strategy by the new owner?

Dame_Enda

I'm less keen on 5G than I was,
I see that Eir still say they can deliver 100% rural broadband for €1bn but not on the terms of the NBP. I wonder what the unacceptable terms are? I'm sceptical but I still wonder is it a change of strategy by the new owner?
The Eir spokeswoman told the Oireachtas committee that the govts broadband model would have required Eir to duplicate things it already has.

fifilawe

Eir will put in a low cost estimate and put the béal bocht on for Taxpayer support and blackmail the Govt to stump up more and more support and it will eventually cost €3bn.This is how it is always done , one just has to look back at the NTR toll roads disaster, the National Childrens Hospital, etc,etc. The policy is deliberate submit a low tender price to gain the contract and then screw the taxpayer for twice , three times the original tender price.We have a very poor record in this state for these shamsters hoodwinking the govt.
I'd tell Eir to politely F***** Off you've had your chance , and you blew it.

Orbit v2

Apparently, their proposal is on the same terms that they rolled out the initial rural broadband scheme that they did, which involves a higher connection charge and some other conditions, but the same as what they offered connection to something like 340,000 customers already, it would seem,

wombat

I'd tell Eir to politely F***** Off you've had your chance , and you blew it.
I think they need to be considered if they say they want €1b rather than €3b. I'm very sceptical but it should be teased out.

deepness

Well if people look into the specifics of the delivery, eir are right to question the nbp.

If eir connect a ftth customer to their network now the charge to a provider is 170eu. If a duct is blocked or there are tree issues, it's up to the subscriber to clear the blockage before connection. thats normal

What will happen under the nbp, is nbi will do those works up to a value of 7000eu per house. That's not normal, that's nuts.

That's only one issue, and not even mentioning duplication of infrastructure which is also bonkers and adding to the cost.

The other thing people dissing eir ( and I'm not a fan btw), is they actually have done a rollout, they actually have real customers, nbi have none and no experience at all doing so. Even enet have no domestic customers and their performance on the man's is questionable. That does not bode well.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but the current plan is a recipe for a very expensive mess.

Orbit v2

Sounds insane. They have to stop it and rerun the tender with all the gold plating taken out.

artfoley56

I think they need to be considered if they say they want €1b rather than €3b. I'm very sceptical but it should be teased out.
give them a copper fastened contract and then make sure the contract is done for 1 bn and not a cent above and if not sue for specific performance.

it saves 4bn and keeps dinny in the poor house, whats not to like?

wombat

Very little coverage in the papers, seems no one knows why there is such a difference. I wonder will Eir make a firm offer

Baron von Biffo

Very little coverage in the papers, seems no one knows why there is such a difference. I wonder will Eir make a firm offer
I suspect it wouldn't do our international reputation much good if, having had a tendering process and the level of the only bid being now known, we accept a lower bid from another company.

The courts might get a tad sniffy about it as well.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

Words out of EIR's own mouth when we ask when were we to be wired to get BB - It is not economically feasible to run the cable and put in a booster or two to get BB down to 4 houses. If it was not economically feasible then, it isn't now either. Once EIR has its hands in the govs pocker they will dig in deeper for more money.

wombat

I see the govt in a no win situation. If they go ahead with the current project they will be accused of wasting money, if they call Eir's bluff they will be accused of neglecting rural voters

artfoley56

I suspect it wouldn't do our international reputation much good if, having had a tendering process and the level of the only bid being now known, we accept a lower bid from another company.

in fairness, the courts could get well snifffy about the tender process in the first instance, especially naughten's dinners

artfoley56

I see the govt in a no win situation. If they go ahead with the current project they will be accused of wasting money, if they call Eir's bluff they will be accused of neglecting rural voters
a situation entirely of their own making

wombat

I don't know how much being the preferred bidder is worth, maybe Eir wants to get the process cancelled so they get to dictate terms?

wombat

a situation entirely of their own making
Not really, this project has dragged on for years, all the opposition say is "I wouldn't start from here" but no one has said cancel

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

I honestly don't understand why the gov doesn't go with satellite. Mine was installed with a hard wired modem in less than an hour and works where Eircom wire never did. Dependable. No poles or wire to string or boosters. Speed could be a little faster and it would be lovely to have more download time, but when you've never had dependable BB before, this is terrific, and can be connected to single houses in rural areas in a hour.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies